Advice needed from experienced WW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mtek

by Mtek

I went in to my local LBS to purchase my first road bike ever. I've always had hi end mtb from them, they treat me well, and I will do business with them for now. Aside from fit and budget (I've budgeted 4K), what components do you mainly consider first usually? Overall weight, groupset, etc? I know I'll want to do my own cockpit and wheels.

Btw, I went in blindly but wanting to try a BMC crossmachine. They didn't have my size for test. I loved a Cervelo C3 they are holding for me.

Please let me know some tips, if like to have something by the weekend. Only thing I really want is discs, gravel friendly, and within my budgetary limit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

I own cx01 ( owned even 1st gen ), have ridden and wrenching C3.

to make long story short ( frame build quality, cable routing ( rattling vs not rattling ), geometry / with stress on insanely low bb on C3/, tire clearance, agility, responsivness...) I would not choose Cervelo over BMC.

It's not Cervelo is bad bike, it's just ... I don't know what it basically is. Not road, not gravel, not cx... Feels like fancy commuter 4me.

In straight site to site comparison C3 looks and feels... cheap. Ride is totally incomparable. It's hard to find something what ride like BMC CX01. Really. Have also road BMC, but most my mileage is on CX01.

To not mention C3 is much heavier than advertised ( 8 kg plus ( big plus ) on Force cx01 and Fulcrum racing 5 LG DB , size 54).
BMC CX01 weight ; frame 1100 ( size 57 which is "real" 54-55 ) fork 360 ( uncut ).

Naturally will be discussion TA vs QR ; here I don't have any issues. Never had to adjsut brakes because I changed wheel.. Precision of BMC manufacturing is really impressive.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Mtek

by Mtek

Thank you for the reply, I trust what you say here. It's tough for me to purchase something I can't test first. Maybe I'll try a grandfondu (sp?) or whatever they have tomorrow.

stormur

by stormur

Granfondo I do have as well :) ( GF01 ).

If you want 1bike for all, good for road, good for some gravel and cx time to time it's really hard to find something better than CX01 IMO.

My bike ( CX01) weights 7.5kg incl pedals,sensors, Quarq pm and Q rings. Maybe except pedals ( Look Keo carbon ti ) zero weight weenie parts ; Sram Red, TRP Spyre Slc, Alliante saddle, Easton EC 90 bar... And that includes 1540g wheelset ( alu clincher, tubeless wide rims )

GF01 with similar setup is 400-450g lighter.

For Cx01 going for some weenism ( not extreme one ) you can go below 7kg, not so bad for 565tt -officially- cyclocross bike(? ;) )
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

benstade

by benstade

Hi guys, planing on building my own cx01. i got a good offer for a barely used 2018 cx01 one and i was wondering if the frame size is allright. I am 188cm, leg lenght is 90. Frame is a 57. Best Ben

the jackel

by the jackel

benstade wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:52 pm
Hi guys, planing on building my own cx01. i got a good offer for a barely used 2018 cx01 one and i was wondering if the frame size is allright. I am 188cm, leg lenght is 90. Frame is a 57. Best Ben
It's almost impossible to answer based just on those details. In an attempt to be helpful I'm a similar height and inseam and would pick a 57 if I desperately wanted that bike. In truth the fit does not work for me so I wouldn't buy it but that's a different conversation.

benstade

by benstade

Thanks for the advice! I own a Teammachine SLR01 2019 which is 58 and it works quite fine for me. The geometry is actually not so different and i was looking for some first hand experience from crossmachine owners:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

benstade

by benstade

Armlenght is 70, weight 82kg