Bleed screws in Shimano hydraulic levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hello,

Does anyone know if the bleed screw used in the "old" hydraulic levers - Shimano code Y8V398010, is compatible with the new R9120/R9170 levers? The guys at my LBS have stripped the head and I need the replacement parts.. Both the R9120 and R9170 pdfs state the the part number for the screw is Y0C698030 - http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-ST-R9170-4079.pdf.

I've scrolled through the R9150 dealer's manual, but couldn't find any details about this specific screw.. They do look very similar to me, though. I'm literally screwed.

Any ideas? Should I try to machine the screw myself?

Marcin
Attachments
"old" screw, Shimano code Y8V398010
"old" screw, Shimano code Y8V398010
Screw from the R9120/R9170 diagrams, Shimano code Y0C698030
Screw from the R9120/R9170 diagrams, Shimano code Y0C698030

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

old screw = same thread as funnel
new screw = same thread as funnel adapter

compare funnel adapter external thread (or screwed screw thread) vs funnel thread
funnel adapter
funnel adapter
edit 2022:
seahuston wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:04 pm
Hi Everyone

Wow I'm only like a year behind schedule but life happened. I’m excited to finally be able to offer these bleed screws for Shimano road hydro levers! I've had these out for a couple weeks and people have been really happy with them.

After stripping the stock aluminum screws I couldn’t get over the fact that there wasn’t a good alternative. The small hex and soft aluminum are a recipe for stripping once the o-ring dries out.

These are a direct replacement for Shimano road levers (except BR-785) and feature an increased 3mm hex size and GR5 titanium. O-ring included!

*With the larger hex, I’m trusting all of you to be careful and not overtorque (Spec: 0.5-0.7 Nm)*

The price per pair is $30. This is a bit higher than I initially hoped but I'm commited to keeping these as a domestic (US) product. Unfortunately that just costs more. If you figure the OEM are ~$12-$20/pair I hope you'll understand the pricing.

If you’re interested you can purchase through my webstore here, please use the 15% discount code “WW” for the next two weeks.
If you’d prefer I can also take paypal, please PM me if you’d like to go that route.

Thank You!

Collin
Last edited by ooo on Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
'

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Meh, how do I get the required part?

ms6073

by ms6073

lovemyway wrote:The guys at my LBS have stripped the head and I need the replacement parts.

Help me to better understand exactly how the shops negligence has became your problem? If the LBS cannot source a part to replace the bleed screw, then they need to source a replacement shifter!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

lovemyway

by lovemyway

//EDIT: I got the message from my LBS that Shimano guy will try to send the screws tomorrow and he'll take them off the new levers if needed..

ms6073 wrote:
lovemyway wrote:The guys at my LBS have stripped the head and I need the replacement parts.

Help me to better understand exactly how the shops negligence has became your problem? If the LBS cannot source a part to replace the bleed screw, then they need to source a replacement shifter!

Well, I'm just trying to speed things up. The guy that is responsible was asked to call the Shimano, he said he prefers to email them. So I'm waiting for 2 guys to figure out where the screws are and it might take some time (especially now that I see how my LBS handles these things).

I was chatting with bike-components.de myself and got the information they can order the part for me, but it will take few weeks
Info@bike-components.de wrote:We can order this article especially for you. So an exchange is not possible.

Item: Bleed Screw & O-Ring
PL-Item-Nb.: Y0C698030
Price: 5,70€ incl. 19% VAT
Availability: 4 weeks

Just one question, though, If I get the old screw and try to screw it the opposite direction, won't it work?

guxo

by guxo

Same problem
Last edited by guxo on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guxo

by guxo

have you tried with plastic dummy bolt which comes in the conecting port of the lever?

seems to be the same thread. No need too much torque so so plastic may do the job

Just a question: how have you removed the damaged bolt?
Last edited by guxo on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guxo

by guxo

guxo wrote:I have the same problem.

These are the plastic bolts I'm talking about. The thread seems to be the same that the funnel one.

My problem is how to remove de worn ones.
Attachments
IMG_3015.JPG

PaulH

by PaulH

guxo wrote:
guxo wrote:I have the same problem.

These are the plastic bolts I'm talking about. The thread seems to be the same that the funnel one.

My problem is how to remove de worn ones.
I tapped a torx screw head into the soft plastic and was able to undo the old bleed screw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guxo

by guxo

thank you

I 'll try

PaulH

by PaulH

Let me know if you need a photo and I’ll take one tomorrow

guxo

by guxo

A picture will help, yes. Thank you.
Tapping this shifter scares me ...

guxo

by guxo

A picture will help, yes. Thank you.

PaulH

by PaulH

guxo wrote:A picture will help, yes. Thank you.
ImageImage

T10 size

guxo

by guxo

thank you again

Could you re-use the screw?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com