Bleed screws in Shimano hydraulic levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kofsw4

by kofsw4

I've managed to strip the threads on the port itself completely clean in one of my Shimano ST-R8070 levers. Is there anything I can do other than replace an otherwise fully functioning (and expensive!) lever?

Has anybody retapped threads and used a larger bolt/o-ring? How would the bleed funnel then attach?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I think you are best served sourcing a replacement. It is possible you might find a replacement lever body on Ebay, but I would not want to risk tiny metal bits ending up in the lever resevoir which could potentially end up scoring the cylinder bore in the caliper which would result in a leak or even a frozen caliper and no braking action.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

seahuston

by seahuston

I know I'm bumping an old thread here but this thread seems to get linked a lot around the internet so I wanted to provide some further suggestions learnings.

I also had this happen to me on my ultegra levers. I was able to get the screw out by tapping in a T10 torx bit. I particularly wanted to share that I replaced the screw with a 105 level replacement part which is steel as opposed to the butter/aluminum that ultegra and dura ace come with.
105 part number: Y0F398030

Hopefully this lasts a lot longer

ms6073

by ms6073

Gasp, you replaced the lighter yet very fragile aluminum part with a suitable steel replacement - nice? :beerchug:
Having had to replace one early on, my takeaway was to unscrew the bleed screw caps before installing on the levers on bike, then gently threading them back on without as much torque.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

seahuston

by seahuston

I'm back :)

I've had a few people reach out about this thread and the function on the 105 screws.
Given this seems to be a recurring issue and this is WW (where steel replacements should be shunned) I'm working on doing a run of titanium replacement screws for these levers.
The screws will be an exact match for the existing but with a 3mm hex and titanium. I'd love to gauge interest in these before kicking off a production run. I'm targeting $15/pair for screws and may be able to work in some fun anodized colors.

ms6073

by ms6073

That sounds like a great idea, but why not a torx head instead of an allen key?
- Michael

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

seahuston wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 9:02 pm

I've had a few people reach out about this thread and the function on the 105 screws.
Given this seems to be a recurring issue and this is WW (where steel replacements should be shunned) I'm working on doing a run of titanium replacement screws for these levers.
The screws will be an exact match for the existing but with a 3mm hex and titanium. I'd love to gauge interest in these before kicking off a production run. I'm targeting $15/pair for screws and may be able to work in some fun anodized colors.
Did you see this? viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166328&p=1676450#p1676450
by the way, I saved 0.1 gram going from steel to aluminium.

seahuston

by seahuston

Thanks for sharing! I'd definitely missed your recent thread but I like your bolt-in-bolt concept. The titanium screw will be *gasp* heavier than the aluminum screws but only marginally and ideally not as easy to strip out. I work at a machine shop so have access to the equipment but need some tooling and material.

I had planned to go hex since pretty much everything on a shimano bike is hex. Is there a strong preference for torx?

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Torx is less likely to strip. You know it's a M7 X 0.75 fine pitch thread?

TonyM

by TonyM

seahuston wrote:

Great!

Where and when will we be able to buy these?

seahuston

by seahuston

Roger dodger on the thread pitch. Kind of an odd one which is why it's so hard to find a suitable replacement.

Regarding availability, I think I've see enough interest here and other forums that I'm confident to do a small run. I'm at least a month out on that but I'll plan to offer them up here and maybe create a small webstore. Pricing will likely go up for "public" but WW has been such a source of knowledge for me I'll work to keep pricing low for the forum

TonyM

by TonyM

seahuston wrote:
Tue May 25, 2021 2:53 am
Roger dodger on the thread pitch. Kind of an odd one which is why it's so hard to find a suitable replacement.

Regarding availability, I think I've see enough interest here and other forums that I'm confident to do a small run. I'm at least a month out on that but I'll plan to offer them up here and maybe create a small webstore. Pricing will likely go up for "public" but WW has been such a source of knowledge for me I'll work to keep pricing low for the forum
GREAT!
Don't forget to post in this thread ;-)

QuackMD

by QuackMD

seahuston wrote:

I'd definitely be interested.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PaulH

by PaulH

I’m interested in a few sets also thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk