Bleed screws in Shimano hydraulic levers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

sorry to bump this but WOW, what a load of garbage. I blew £3.1k on a Specialized Roubaix, 500miles/2months later the front lever is getting close to the bar. Yep the pads have worn (it's hilly here but £20/set, eeek) but the front lever was closer when I bought it so I figured I'd bleed it after a hairy moment on Mow Cop in the rain today. Follwed the usual procedue. 2mm allen key stripped it (2.5 was too big) so I'm stuck. Swapped from back to front which has made the front useable for now. Will order some spare caps then try the Torx key. Not impressed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yeah not impressed with this either... it's only a matter of time. I also take exception with purchasing the "professional" bleed kit that did NOT come with the stupid funnel.. Really Shimano ?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

I have the funnel, the oil, can't get the damn bleed screw out. And it's mentioned on here it's plastic, mine is definitely metal. Kinda chocolate metal but still metal. Will be ordering a park tool allen key as well to see if that works rather than a crappy multitool one. It's definitely 2mm isn't it? Think the old versions were 2.5 but 2.5 keys are way too big

TonyM

by TonyM

Same problem here a few months ago.

I used a Torxc tool to unscrew the original screw.

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

bashing a torx in worries me a little. When I used a hex key it just woudn't budge then stripped. How much force did you need to get the torx in then to get the screw out? Have ordered 3 screws from SJS. It's not reverse threaded or somthing daft is it?

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

I've used a Torx as well, and a small hammer to get it in there. Then it came out quite easily. No it's no reverse threaded.

PaulH

by PaulH

Be very gentle when tapping in torx as I have broken the thread on a lever since originally doing it (it does work just be careful).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

I might contact shimano . It's not good enough really

PaulH

by PaulH

I agree let us know how u get on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stueys

by Stueys

Glad someone bumped this, I'm bleeding my 8070 through this week and just ordered two replacement screws to have on standby. Seems like a crap design..

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

Have you had them out before or first time? I've posted on their Facebook page for a start and will go from there

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

And on top of that, resin pads almost done at 500 miles. I live on the Pennine moors but my ultegra rim brakes haven't been changed in 5000miles

TonyM

by TonyM

Vtwindr wrote:bashing a torx in worries me a little. When I used a hex key it just woudn't budge then stripped. How much force did you need to get the torx in then to get the screw out? Have ordered 3 screws from SJS. It's not reverse threaded or somthing daft is it?
Just with my hands. The material of the screw is very soft.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

C’mon, if you haven’t had any piston leaks you can consider yourselves lucky..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vtwindr

by Vtwindr

Help me here please. I have tried pushing a T10 torx in by hand but it's too big, don't have anything smaller. Is it definitely T10? this is the same cap as the Dura-Ace/Di2 but it's on Ultegra 8020 levers