Do you care where your bike is made? And do you care who makes it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

boots2000 wrote:A buddy of mine just got a 2018 Trek Emonda- these are now made in Taiwan.

Taiwanese are the bike pioneers! They are passionate and proud of it. Read up how Giant got started back in 1972.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

With carbon bikes there is advantages to buying out of Asia. One reason is material availability. A lot of the higher spec materials are not allowed into those countries because of ITAR banning them as defense materials. Just something to consider.
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Digger90

by Digger90

Is your coffee made in your home country?

Your bananas? Strawberries?

Bacon, lamb?

If we really cared that much we'd only buy stuff made in our home countries, or nearish.

I live in England and we don't grow bananas here - our strawberries are mostly from Northern Europe, a lot of bacon comes from Denmark, and lamb from New Zealand. And of course, coffee from all over the world.

Does the market care? Actually, I think they are very happy with it.

And by the way, just look through the labels on your clothing... almost none of it will be made in your country.

kgt

by kgt

Not many products made in the UK nowadays but I can easily find lots of strawberries, bacon, lambs, and clothes produced in my country.

MikeD

by MikeD

I used to care, but had two US made Fisher bike frames break on me, and the Taiwanese warranty replacement Trek frame is still going. Quality is most important to me.

hannawald

by hannawald

I ride a Canyon, which is in every aspect very nicely riding frame. But dream about Bianchi,when they one day release Oltre on discs.It may not be a better bike in terms of quality and Canyon far exceeds my needs, but Bianchi represents the heritage of cycling sport, something more than just a "tool" that makes the job done.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

kgt wrote:Not many products made in the UK nowadays but I can easily find lots of strawberries, bacon, lambs, and clothes produced in my country.

That's the spirit! Support your local community.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Hexsense

by Hexsense

kind of.
i just need to make sure who produce it are capable and trustworthy.
I'd chose Chinese carbon fiber from a big experienced factory over alloy from <insert USA,Europe or your country here> company that doesn't have anything to prove their expertise anytime.