Durable but high quality clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vagabond

by Vagabond

Good evening all. My East Coast bike is currently being ridden with Veloflex Master 25s. I love the ride feel and cornering with them but I am so sick of sidewall blowouts. Honestly, I don't believe I've ever gotten 1000 miles out of one. I feel lucky to get 750. Just replaced my rear and I have maybe three hundred miles in it when I felt the familiar Veloflex thump thump thump develop. Sure enough, another casing failing at the sidewall. Beautiful tires but I need something that will last. Their tubulars are great! I run sew ups exclusively on my West Coast bike and the Roubaixs look great and ride very well. Not interested in tubeless. Tried that on Campagnolo Shamals for two years with lots of different tires but the ride quality is garbage. The Masters are much nicer in every way except for flats and durability. So, any recommendations for a high quality clincher that will last at least a couple of months? Italian made to the front of the line! I am on Colnagos with Campy after all. : )
Colnago e Campagnolo

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

You shouldn't have asked here, because the answer is not Italian you'll see. So before all that, let me say stick with Veloflex and chuck out clinchers.
Less is more.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've been a turbo cottons most of the summer... hitting all kinds of marbles and whatnot... Well over 1000 miles so far.. the rear is starting to square off, but less then conti's too me. The front is still looking good.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Drpoomanchu

by Drpoomanchu

I have had nothing but good things to say about Michelin Pro Race 4’s. Good grip relatively light and durable.

3Pio

by 3Pio

3200 km for now on Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm clinchers, and using Shamal's and Colnago :). I guess this tires will last at least 1000 km more.

Nice grip, comfortotable, but heavy..I just switched to Continental 4000 SII, and i feel they are faster tire. Vittoria brake better :)

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Drpoomanchu wrote:I have had nothing but good things to say about Michelin Pro Race 4’s. Good grip relatively light and durable.

+ 1
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Andrewjn

by Andrewjn

+1 on the Michelin Pro 4's. No cuts or punctures and perform pretty well However this is in the 25mm format on Fulcrum Racing Zeros and feel great. Starting to square off around 100 km but some life yet to go. Am changing to Vittoria as I have them on my tubs and as tubbies they are great. The Vittorias also will give me more clearance as Michelins are know for high stack heights

Marin

by Marin

How are you getting so much sidewall damage?

What kind of rims and what pressure are you running?

peroni

by peroni

Pirelli is introducing new clinchers, you might want to consider them being a 100% Italian company.

https://velo.pirelli.com/en/ww/roadracing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Bianchi Oltre XR2 2014 Campagnolo SR

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

peroni wrote:Pirelli is introducing new clinchers, you might want to consider them being a 100% Italian company.

That are made in France.
Using Tapatalk

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Nefarious86 wrote:
peroni wrote:Pirelli is introducing new clinchers, you might want to consider them being a 100% Italian company.

That are made in France.

LOL

I'm riding tubies exclusively now, but I was rather fond of the Michelin Pro4 as well.

The grip is less than that available from my Vittoria Corsa CXIII tubies though, I'm temporarily running a rear Ksyrium with a Pro4 while my rear tubie wheel is away for repair and this past saturday I wiped out because I lost traction from the rear taking a turn I take DAILY at the same speeds as always...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nefarious86 wrote:That are made in France.

Specifically Hutchinson, who also happen to be making Mavic and Zipp's tires.

SL1

by SL1

Are you installing the Velflex's on carbon clincher rims by any chance ?

Any chance of a pic of the sidewall failure ?

kdawg

by kdawg

I've had Michelin Pro 4s too and they were good. Last time I got Schwalbe 1 clinchers and they've been really good too. No issues and they seem to be wearing well.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've been on Vittoria Corsa G+ all year and have been very pleased.... well over 3000 outdoor miles this year without a flat or blowout, split between 2 bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com