Will using a cadence magnet in the crank arm interfere with Garmin Vector?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased a set of Vector 2 pedals, and I'm using them with a Bryton 530 head unit and a combo speed/cadence sensor.
Now the thing is that while the Bryton does let me choose between using GPS speed and Sensor Speed, it wont let me choose whether I want to use sensor cadence or power meter cadence. If I use the Vectors for cadence it means I have to unpair de combo sensor and rely on GPS for speed which I'd forgotten how badly it sucked compared to sensor speed until I tried it again this morning.

So the only decent option I have is using the combo sensor, but I'm weary of placing a magnet RIGHT NEXT to the pedal spindle and pod for fear it will interfere with the signal, or screw up the measurements or something of the sort.

Has anyone got any useful experience, insight or ideas on this? Should I just stop screwing around with sub-par devices, splurge on a Garmin 520 (and eat rice and potatoes till september...) and be done with it?

MattC

by MattC

Take the cadence magnet off and just run the wheel magnet.

Sorted. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kaboom

by Kaboom

MattC wrote:Take the cadence magnet off and just run the wheel magnet.

Sorted. :thumbup:

That way I either get speed from GPS or forego cadence, I can't use the speed sensor and the Vector cadence simultaneously.

MattC

by MattC

No, leave the speed magnet on and remove the cadence one.

wingguy

by wingguy

You can afford a set of Vectors but you can't afford a speed only sensor? :wink:

Kaboom

by Kaboom

MattC wrote:No, leave the speed magnet on and remove the cadence one.

My head unit does NOT let me get cadence from the Vectors and Speed from the sensor. It is either speed and cadence from the sensor, or speed from GPS and cadence from the Vectors.

It doesn't matter if I remove the cadence magnet and leave the wheel one. In that case I either get speed from the sensor and no cadence at all, or cadence from the Vectors and speed from GPS.

There is no way for me to get cadence from the vectors and speed from the sensor at the same time. It just wont let me.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

wingguy wrote:You can afford a set of Vectors but you can't afford a speed only sensor? :wink:

I could buy a speed only sensor but where I live that isn't as simple as walking into a bike store and buying one, I'd probably have to get them to order it and then it takes a week or two to arrive.
I could also order online but this isn't the US, there's no such thing as next-day shipping or even close. Most stuff takes close to a week to arrive in the mail.

And yeah, the cost of a sensor pales in comparison to the cost of the Vectors, but ya know, that's 30 bucks I could use for something else, and its not like I just woke up one morning and decided to burn a pile of my spare cash on the pedals, that expenditure was planned and had been a long time coming...

jekyll man

by jekyll man

I had a decathlon sensor that would only work like that.

Throw it away,ebay it or whatever.
order what you need on the interweb, and ride in the meantime with what you data you have.
Its not like your life is dependant on an exact speed or cadence..

Oh and Matt C generally knows what he's on about regarding powermeters, and whats possible and isn't ;)
Official cafe stop tester

ms6073

by ms6073

As an SRM user, I can sort of relate and have never been a fan of combo-sensors. Since the powermeter cadence is key, my suggestion would be to purchase a Wahoo RPM speed sensor which typically can be used on the front or rear wheel, so you can then discard the combo sensor completely.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

wingguy

by wingguy

Kaboom wrote:And yeah, the cost of a sensor pales in comparison to the cost of the Vectors, but ya know, that's 30 bucks I could use for something else, and its not like I just woke up one morning and decided to burn a pile of my spare cash on the pedals, that expenditure was planned and had been a long time coming...

So your other thought was to buy an Edge 520 as well, but the suggestion of a $30 sensor is fiscally irresponsible. Interesting... :wink:

MattC

by MattC

jekyll man wrote:
Oh and Matt C generally knows what he's on about regarding powermeters, and whats possible and isn't ;)

May be true, but Bryton stuff could throw this completely out of the water.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kaboom

by Kaboom

MattC wrote:
jekyll man wrote:

May be true, but Bryton stuff could throw this completely out of the water.

That's exactly the problem. It's not the power meter, it's the Bryton.

I enquired about this magnet problem "chez Garmin" and they've told me that the magnet shouldn't affect the power readings in any way. I'll give it a go and report back on any anomalies just in case someone has this problem in the future and stumbles upon this thread, however unlikely this might be...