Upgrade Madone 7 to Madone 9 - worth it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erwin

by Erwin

I own a Madone 7 OCLV Gr. 54 H2 slammed to minimum with 120mm stem and Aeronova bar.
I have an option for a Madone 9 RSL Gr. 56 H1. It would fit, but I have to change bar (always ride 400mm bars) and I think I have to switch to seat mast with 5mm offset. So fitting me into the Madone 9 is no problem, but with extra costs on proprietary parts.
The older Madone is definitely lighter. What do you think about ride quality and aero improvement between them? I read a lot of the Madone 9, but found no comparison. Any ideas and hints? Thanks a lot!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomHelly

by TomHelly

Your fit won't be a problem because Trek shortened the reach from 7 Series to 9 Series (back to 6 Series/Emonda numbers essentially).
Depending on the reach differences between the Aeronova (~100mm?) and the Madone 9 barstem (~93mm) you might just drop down to a 110mm x 40cm barstem and use the appropriate number of spacers to achieve the correct height/drop (~15mm).

Seat mast choice would depend on your saddle height within the range of the 56cm frame, and the offset would likely be the same as on your 7. Although note that the options for the 9 are 25mm & 5mm rather than the former 20mm & 5mm.

Your 7 Series will probably be lighter for the frameset, unless you have a particularly heavy paint job and your new bike is a U5 paint option...

As for ride quality, I find that when sprinting or climbing hard out of the saddle they are quite similar bikes. Front end lateral stiffness and bump 'compliance' are similar. Perhaps the Madone 9's handlebars have a bit more give over rough pavement that a standard round handlebar. Imperceptibly different (to me) at the BB.

Seated riding is where I really notice the difference.... Where all my 7 Series frames have felt quite brutally communicative of the road surface, the 9 Series is much more like riding an Emonda or other light weight road bike with thin and compliant stays/seat tube.

Kind of reminds me of a Trek Boone I had a couple of years ago... The isospeed is definitely there, but it's not noticeably springy like a Domane.

If the bike fits you, and you can afford it, go for it! A massive improvement in practicality (rear brake), comfort (Isospeed) and unqestionably a faster bike despite a small weight penalty.

For context: I have ridden Madone 7's (currently a 54 H1 U5 Vaporcoat) for the last few years, and work for a Trek shop where I build nearly all the Madone 9's when I am not doing fits. Probably built + ridden ~50 or so since their release.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I definitely agree with Tom's opinion on this one. If you have the chance, do it!

Erwin

by Erwin

Thanks a ton for this detailed answer! I appreciate it, Tom.

I already have concerns about the Madone 9 handlebar. I like the aeronova a lot and could change to whatever at the Madone 7. If I have problems with the 9er handlebar I will get stucked. But I don't think so.
I already got some measurements from the Madone 9 owner. He is sitting 752mm high, I have 755mm on my 7 series. There should be 10mm left with the shorter 160mm seat mast he told me and send me some pictures.
But my last and biggest concern is the already slammed stem/bar combo on the Madone 9 56 H1. I cannot add any spacer, fork is already cutted down. So at the moment I have removed the upper headset cover from the Madone 7 and have ridden the last days only with a 3mm spacer between compression ring and stem to (nearly) simulate the Madone 9 geometry. Added some pictures... What do you think?

Image Image

rainerhq

by rainerhq

TomHelly wrote:The isospeed is definitely there, but it's not noticeably springy like a Domane.

My Domane is not springy. Its just not harsh. Maybe it depends on riders weight? I´m 67kg
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

TomHelly

by TomHelly

@rainerhq

EDIT: I see your Domane is a 4 Series. This explains why you don't find it springy! The standard round seatpost effectively creates a double layer of material across the Isospeed junction and definitely reduces the compliance. Quite a different level of squish over smaller bumps compared to a Domane 5/6/SL/SLR.

I'm 66kg myself, and I find that in comparison to the other Isospeed bikes (Madone 9, Boone, Procal etc) the Domane has a noticeably springy feel when riding seated through depressions in the road. You feel a little elastic kind of 'bounce' as the seat tube returns back to it's resting position.

Domane Koppenberg/Classics/RSL etc. have a stiffer feel, more like a Boone.

Don't think I doubt your experience, I am just describing mine as someone who has ridden many many different Trek's over the same roads :thumbup:

@Erwin

That's a deal breaker basically, unless you are happy committing to a fit compromise for the sake of a new flashy bike..

At a guess your bars will still be around 10mm lower on the slammed 56 H1.

Your only option to raise the bars down the track would be to fit the Madone 9.0 adapter top cap and a normal stem with less angle (e.e. 0 degrees) if there is sufficient steerer, I don't know the minimum exactly.

See if you can get the seller to measure the height from the ground to the spot your hand rests on the hoods, and then compare to your bike. Probably going to be more accurate than trying to compare against the 'centre' of the big flat Madone 9 bars.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Very thankful for your feedback. Now I definitely want to try 5; 6 etc series Domane.
:beerchug:
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

It's hard to judge on a picture but isnt your handlebar titled upwards a little? Or are your shifters positioned quite high on the bars?
With the integrated handlebar on the Madone i'd think you will be lower at the front. But like i said, maybe my misjudging looking at the picture :)

Erwin

by Erwin

Thanks for all your help! In the end I have decided to wait or just end up with my Madone 7 (at the moment ;) ). The desire for a new bike already got satisfied with a new Canyon Ultimate.

Edit: In this pictures saddle was 10mm to far ahead.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com