2017 Madone Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

I appreciate your posting those weights. I'm mildly disappointed with the H1 frame weight, since it's a little lighter than the H2 frame. But it's still reasonable, and that paint may be on the heavy side, relatively speaking. Do you happen to know how much less Trek's light paint is supposed to save? (I can't bring myself to write "vapor" the way Trek likes to spell it).

Again, thanks for the update.

Edit: added paint question

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

youngs_modulus wrote:I appreciate your posting those weights. I'm mildly disappointed with the H1 frame weight, since it's a little lighter than the H2 frame. But it's still reasonable, and that paint may be on the heavy side, relatively speaking. Do you happen to know how much less Trek's light paint is supposed to save? (I can't bring myself to write "vapor" the way Trek likes to spell it).

really.. they spell vapor ...vapor last I check... I would love to have Contador tribute version or U5 Vapor coat.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

eric01

by eric01

You mentioned a little lighter than H2. Do you know how much H2 weighs? Seriously considering picking one of these up and am torn between the H1 and H2. H2 is 600 series carbon right?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

spdntrxi wrote:really.. they spell vapor ...vapor last I check... I would love to have Contador tribute version or U5 Vapor coat.

As they say in Australia: crikey!

I had totally conflated Trek's "vapor coat" with Bont's Vaypor shoe. This was my mistake, and I appreciate you pointing it out.

Not that it matters, but I think I somehow associated Bont with Bontrager. I know intellectually that they're wholly unrelated, but somehow, I messed that one up. Again, thanks for pointing it out.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

eric01 wrote:You mentioned a little lighter than H2. Do you know how much H2 weighs? Seriously considering picking one of these up and am torn between the H1 and H2. H2 is 600 series carbon right?

I think you're asking me. I don't know what an H2 with Trek's 600-series construction weighs, but I'd love to know. Naturally, Trek's 600/700-series nomenclature is meaningless outside Trek's marketing department, but I understand Trek uses more high-modulus laminates with their H1/700-series frames. Keep in mind that stiffer carbon is generally weaker carbon. Still, I think Trek is trying to say that they use better carbon for their H1/RSL frames.

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

Not sure, they never tell you how much U5 SAVES, lol. Anecdotally I've heard 100-200+ grams, but I haven't confirmed - anyone have a U5 54cm H1 to compare?

I debated the U5 a lot internally, but decided I'm going to ride this bike for a while so I better really like the way it looks!

youngs_modulus wrote:I appreciate your posting those weights. I'm mildly disappointed with the H1 frame weight, since it's a little lighter than the H2 frame. But it's still reasonable, and that paint may be on the heavy side, relatively speaking. Do you happen to know how much less Trek's light paint is supposed to save? (I can't bring myself to write "vapor" the way Trek likes to spell it).

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

U5 weighs 5g. Typically a normal paint job will be in the realm of 150-200g depending on how many layers it involves.

stjean222

by stjean222

It that Project One frame?
The metalic color is great!

jj911c2

by jj911c2

Great thread and thanks for taking the time to post all the component weights.

I have a 54H2 build with DA 9150, Enve 3.4, Specialized Romin Evo Expert and Xpresso 12 pedals that weighs in at 7.44 kg including bottle cages, garmin mount, rear light mount, etc. I look forward to seeing how light yours is with some of your high end components.

glepore

by glepore

Lack of sleeve is no biggie, so long as wiring is secured-gorilla tape or similar.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm actually not too unimpressed with this weight. It looks comparable to my FRD and I'd expect this to ride a whole lot nicer.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

youngs_modulus wrote:
spdntrxi wrote:really.. they spell vapor ...vapor last I check... I would love to have Contador tribute version or U5 Vapor coat.

As they say in Australia: crikey!

I had totally conflated Trek's "vapor coat" with Bont's Vaypor shoe. This was my mistake, and I appreciate you pointing it out.

Not that it matters, but I think I somehow associated Bont with Bontrager. I know intellectually that they're wholly unrelated, but somehow, I messed that one up. Again, thanks for pointing it out.

no biggie.. I was trying to figure out "the beef" in the argument myself :lol:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Jdl

by Jdl

Hi,
Just bought a madone.
Went for a testride yesterday, but came back home after 5km.
Reason: almost no braking power.
Someone has the same problem? Or can help me?
Wheels are enve SES, and have enough stopping power in my other bike with shimano brakes.
So i guess it is not the fault of the wheels

Mep

by Mep

Did the THM cranks eventually work out? Or are the bearings getting toasted every other ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Jdl wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:23 pm
Wheels are enve SES, and have enough stopping power in my other bike with shimano brakes.
So i guess it is not the fault of the wheels
In this case i'd check brake pad first.