2017 Madone Build

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Dagger9903
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 pm

by Dagger9903

OK, picked up my frame today and planning to try and get this sucker built over the next couple of weeks.

H1 54cm with integrated bar/stem with the customer colors picked above
Bought it with Ultegra 8000 mechanical, but swapping that all out for a blend of DA Di2 9150, THM Clavicula SE cranks, Praxis rings, and for now, going to use my Bora 50s with a Campy Cassette (still trying to get this part figured out).

Already running into questions though, so any help is appreciated:
- The Ultregra crank included that dust cover sleeve, but obviously don't have that for the THM. There is room in the BB for the 30mm spindle, but do I need / should I put in some sort of comparable plastic sleeve for the THMs? Note, this sleeve goes between the bearings. Plus side is that it will offer a little more protection to the bearings for water ingress (which is possible from the bottom of the BB) and the di2 wires (maybe, haven't wired it yet so not sure about that). Downside is where the hell am I going to find the sleeve to fit that width / diameter necessary, and it could actually trap moisture as well
- Planning to run an older Kit Carbonio Flow saddle (literally just been sitting NIB for the past could of years). The saddle's rails are 7x7.75 or so (even though I think officially it's 7x9). Thoughts on running it on the 7x7 seat post clamp ears, vs maybe 7x10? Or does Trek make 7x8 clamp ears? I got the saddle to fit, but obviously the interface isn't perfect.

Current Plan (edit: with weights now):
- Madone H1 54cm frame (1083gr - 1147gr with hanger / chain guard/ vector wings / di2 junction cover)
- Madone fork (432gr - uncut)
- Trek integrated cockpit (330gr)
- Trek integrated setback seatpost (179gr)
- Integrated brakes (143gr / 157gr)
- Spacers - 16 / 28gr - depending on size
- 9150 Di2 levers, FD, RD (128gr combined)
- Cables (178+ -didn't cut the cables and does not include Di2 cables)
- Hacked sprint / climbing shifters
- 32x56 Praxis rings (135gr)
- 170mm THM Clavicula SE cranks (294gr)
- DA Chain
- BePro Assioma DUO pedals
- Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow saddle (95gr)
- Camp 12-28 cassette (for now)
- Bora Ultra 50s (for now)

Edit: New pics, sorry they're upside down!

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Last edited by Dagger9903 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

spdntrxi
Posts: 1963
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

really interested in weight....as my ideal build would be similar.. except 52 H1

by Weenie


glam2deaf
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 am

by glam2deaf

Ummm, you might run into an issue with the cranks and bottom bracket. The BB90 on the frame is designed for a 24mm crank (shimano, etc). As far as I'm aware there isn't a reliable solution to run a 30mm crank on the Trek frames.

That paintjob looks amazing though.

Dagger9903
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 pm

by Dagger9903

glam2deaf wrote:Ummm, you might run into an issue with the cranks and bottom bracket. The BB90 on the frame is designed for a 24mm crank (shimano, etc). As far as I'm aware there isn't a reliable solution to run a 30mm crank on the Trek frames.

That paintjob looks amazing though.


Thanks on both comments. I'm really digging the paint as well (thankfully!)

On the cranks / BB, I'm planning to run it with the appropriately sized bearings (6706). They're small though, which creates a question of durability. I've heard decent-to-mixed results, so we'll see. The crank is BB386 compatible, which means it can run in the 90mm wide BB. The spindle is 30mm, but it still fits in the BB with no contact / drag.

glam2deaf
Posts: 706
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 am

by glam2deaf

Ah that's good to hear you've got the bearing situation covered. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

User avatar
FIJIGabe
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

I'm only going to comment on the issue of the saddle rails. To my knowledge, for the Madone, Trek only makes a 7x7 round, and 7x10 oval. I did use an older Emonda 7x9 clamp, which worked fine (although not officially supported but I think those things are pretty universal). If I were in your shoes, I'd look for a 7x8 saddle clamp, if it's available, and try it out. Otherwise, mix and match until you find the right saddle clamp that will work.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Erwin
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:13 am
Location: Bavaria

by Erwin

You can already try the Ritchey One-Bolt ears. I have read about it, but didn't try it myself.
For the bottom bracket sleeve, many 4130 bb don't have any either. A little workaround so DI2 cables cannot touch the crank spindle is to cut out some yoghurt pot and put it between the bearings. I will try to find some pictures, but this is done several times.

Do you already have the silver DI2 cover? At the picture above I see the cover for a mechanical group. But I think you always get both?!

EDIT: found it -> http://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthread.php?337506-Rotor-3D-mit-4130-BB86-Lager-gt-Keine-Manschette&p=5041963#post5041963
Last edited by Erwin on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
FIJIGabe
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

One issue you're going to have with those bearings is water in the BB. BB90 bearings, particularly the NDS, live a short life. If you freeze your bottle, the water that sweats off will accumulate in that NDS bearing and eventually start to corrode it. One thing you can do to extend the life of the bearing is regularly clean out the bearing and repack it with marine grease. Yeah, it will increase drag, but if you're going without a cover, it's the only way those bearings will survive.

BTW, the new bearing cover on the Madones (and I would assume the Emondas and Domanes, too) is much more effective at preventing water from seeping in. I've had my bearings on for 6 months and no issues (yet).
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Dagger9903
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 pm

by Dagger9903

FIJIGabe wrote:One issue you're going to have with those bearings is water in the BB. BB90 bearings, particularly the NDS, live a short life. If you freeze your bottle, the water that sweats off will accumulate in that NDS bearing and eventually start to corrode it. One thing you can do to extend the life of the bearing is regularly clean out the bearing and repack it with marine grease. Yeah, it will increase drag, but if you're going without a cover, it's the only way those bearings will survive.

BTW, the new bearing cover on the Madones (and I would assume the Emondas and Domanes, too) is much more effective at preventing water from seeping in. I've had my bearings on for 6 months and no issues (yet).


Thanks for the heads up. Just to clarify terminology, what is the "new bearing cover" you're referring to? The plastic sleeve that goes in-between the bearings and sits in the middle of the BB, our covers that sit between the crank arms and the BB (so more on the outside of the bearings)? Or something else? The cranks came with some covers, not sure about the frame. Note that the BB was installed from the factory and I had the shop punch out the bearings. I think the mechanic included everything on the Ultegra spindles (which you can see in the corner of that pic).



Erwin wrote:You can already try the Ritchey One-Bolt ears. I have read about it, but didn't try it myself.
For the bottom bracket sleeve, many 4130 bb don't have any either. A little workaround so DI2 cables cannot touch the crank spindle is to cut out some yoghurt pot and put it between the bearings. I will try to find some pictures, but this is done several times.

Do you already have the silver DI2 cover? At the picture above I see the cover for a mechanical group. But I think you always get both?!

EDIT: found it -> http://forum.tour-magazin.de/showthread.php?337506-Rotor-3D-mit-4130-BB86-Lager-gt-Keine-Manschette&p=5041963#post5041963


Thanks! That's literally just a yogurt package cleaned and cut to size? Interesting... and yes, the frames comes with both colored junction covers for mechanical and Di2.

Side note, anyone interested in an Ultegra 8000 mechanical drivetrain (no brakes)? I've got one I'm not using...

User avatar
FIJIGabe
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

Dagger9903 wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Just to clarify terminology, what is the "new bearing cover" you're referring to? The plastic sleeve that goes in-between the bearings and sits in the middle of the BB, our covers that sit between the crank arms and the BB (so more on the outside of the bearings)? Or something else? The cranks came with some covers, not sure about the frame. Note that the BB was installed from the factory and I had the shop punch out the bearings. I think the mechanic included everything on the Ultegra spindles (which you can see in the corner of that pic).


I'm referring to the cover that sits between the bearing and the crank arm, on the outside. The "old" style was the redish cover. You would put grease in it and sit it on the bearing. Trek revised that, since they realized the bearings were being trashed pretty regularly, to a black plastic cover that actually wedges into the bearing, and provides a better, more secure cover.

Now that you mention it, what are you going to do about the internal sleeve (the one that goes inside the frame, from bearing to bearing?
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Dagger9903
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 pm

by Dagger9903

That was what my original question was regarding. Apparently I can use a yogurt cup! :noidea:

Otherwise considering running:
- Nothing - I think there are BB's that run "open" in internal. Don't love the water protection though
- Repurposed 30mm equivalent sleeve (if I can find one)


FIJIGabe wrote:Now that you mention it, what are you going to do about the internal sleeve (the one that goes inside the frame, from bearing to bearing?

Scarpa
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:43 pm

by Scarpa

Picture of the frame weight would really interesting. I heard something about 950g.

spartan
Posts: 1169
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:52 am

by spartan

yes weight of the frame/fork/headset/spacers/seatmast. this after all is weight weenies :D
Current Rides:

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

Dagger9903
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon May 21, 2012 7:40 pm

by Dagger9903

spartan wrote:yes weight of the frame/fork/headset/spacers/seatmast. this after all is weight weenies :D


Added to the original! :beerchug:

by Weenie


User avatar
FIJIGabe
Posts: 1567
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:07 pm
Location: The Lone Star State

by FIJIGabe

Awesome! Thanks for posting. That bike is going to look awesome.
Madone 9 https://goo.gl/7UwZpV
Crockett https://goo.gl/f5PdCN
Madone 5 https://goo.gl/cMdyFo

Madone 4, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post