Dilemma: What do you do when you think you don't like your Protos as much as your 585?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Look595

by Look595

53x12 wrote:The 585/595 regular and ultra frames are some of the best frames made. Even if they are old, they are still great bikes. If you can get a NOS 595 that fits you, I think you should go for it. Lugged frames never go out of style. It will still look great in 10 years time imo.

I agree with this as well.. my 2006 Look 595 still turn heads when i went riding with it and when i tell people that it is already 11 years old, they were stunned as the bike still looks great and like new.

Look595

by Look595

I am also looking for a new bike that is aerodynamic and fast as my Look 595 is already 11 years old, i want to get a bike that ride better and ride faster and also comfortable. I think that so far i have tried afew top end bikes like Pina/Canyon/Sworks but found that although it is faster than the Look 595, It just does not ride as compliant as the Look 595 felt somehow. I cannot seemed to point out what exactly is the thing that caused the difference but it is just how i felt when i ride the bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

You may try a Time Scylon. Aero and more comfortable than other aero frames with a very sophisticated ride quality. IME compliance makes a frame (and the rider) faster especially when the tarmac is not perfect.
Last edited by kgt on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

53x12

by 53x12

Look595 wrote:I am also looking for a new bike that is aerodynamic and fast as my Look 595 is already 11 years old, i want to get a bike that ride better and ride faster and also comfortable. I think that so far i have tried afew top end bikes like Pina/Canyon/Sworks but found that although it is faster than the Look 595, It just does not ride as compliant as the Look 595 felt somehow. I cannot seemed to point out what exactly is the thing that caused the difference but it is just how i felt when i ride the bikes.

Sounds like you might want to check out the Trek Madone. Very aero + the IsoSpeed decoupled should give you the comfort you are looking for, at least close to it and pick the right wheels + tires + tire pressure + saddle + bib shorts and that should get you the rest of the way.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Catagory6

by Catagory6

please somebody confirm that the 2016 Protos is leagues better than the 595, despite being 1-lbs heavier than my Look 585...

please?

somebody who owns both the Protos, and the 595, please tell me i made the right purchase?

rlanger

by rlanger

Catagory6 wrote:please somebody confirm that the 2016 Protos is leagues better than the 595, despite being 1-lbs heavier than my Look 585...

please?

somebody who owns both the Protos, and the 595, please tell me i made the right purchase?

What don't you like about it? What kind of riding do you mostly do?

I don't own one, but have tested it, and it's probably one of the stiffest bikes out there. And with a rather short head tube, it definitely won't be one of the most comfortable rides. Not ideal if you're regularly logging 150+ kilometers on rough roads.

On the other hand, there are probably few other bikes that respond the way it does when you put the hammer down, so if you're racing, I can't imagine the Look would be a better choice.

The 2016 Protos is certainly one of the more interesting bikes to come on the market in recent years, but yeah, it's probably not for everyone.

kgt

by kgt

@Catagory6
Protos is a fine frame, but not for everyone as rlanger says. You obviously don't enjoy your Protos that much for some reason you only know (or don't).
I would sell it asap if I were you...