Dilemma: What do you do when you think you don't like your Protos as much as your 585?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

bought the Look 585 (15.5 lbs fully built up) about 11 years ago. got an advance on a 2007 model. Little did i realize at the time what i had scored.
Rode it exclusively up until 2014, when i got a ridley damocles on closeout.
really couldn't tell any improvement in ride quality. it was a better sprinting platform, due to the stiffer head tube/front end. but that was about it.
it built up a pound heavier than the look.
fast forward to spring 2017, i purchased the Protos on closeout.
built up to the same weight as the Damocles (16.5 lbs)

i'm not sure if i like it any better than the 585.
there's a slim chance i have a line on a NOS 595 (pro team... SAME PAINT AS MY 585!!!)

The 585 fits me like a custom-tailored armani suit. i feel slightly more stretched out on the Protos.
that might be due to the Campy 11-speed shifters on the Protos, as compared to the campy 10-speed shifters on the 585.
that could be corrected with a shorter reach handle bar.

i just don't know if i'm as in love with the Protos as i though i would be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rlanger

by rlanger

How long have you been riding the Protos? It could take a while to get used to the change, that's all.

I didn't love my De Rosa at first either. But now, you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get me to give it up.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

rlanger wrote:How long have you been riding the Protos? It could take a while to get used to the change, that's all.

I didn't love my De Rosa at first either. But now, you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands to get me to give it up.

granted i don't have TOO much time on it.
a few hundred miles maybe?
i don't think i climbs quite as well as the 585

i have to say, i like the look of the Look a lot better, because, well... LOOK. hahahaha, kind of petty

rlanger

by rlanger

Catagory6 wrote:
rlanger wrote:How long have you been riding the Protos? It could take a while to get used to the change, that's all.

granted i don't have TOO much time on it.
a few hundred miles maybe?
i don't think i climbs quite as well as the 585

Maybe that's cuz you're 10 years older? :wink: :D

Catagory6

by Catagory6

maybe i'm missing the point?
maybe its time to replace the 11-year-old 585, with the NOS 595?

rlanger

by rlanger

Catagory6 wrote:maybe i'm missing the point?

No, sorry. I was just making a little joke about your typo...
"i don't think i climbs quite as well as the 585"

Catagory6

by Catagory6

rlanger wrote:
Catagory6 wrote:maybe i'm missing the point?

No, sorry. I was just making a little joke about your typo...
"i don't think i climbs quite as well as the 585"

that's why i didn't quote you.
it was an original thought.
maybe its time to upgrade the 585?

rlanger

by rlanger

Nah. Stick with the Protos for a few months then report back.

BTW, which version did you get? Did you get the original Protos or the 2017 model?

sawyer

by sawyer

rlanger wrote:Nah. Stick with the Protos for a few months then report back.

BTW, which version did you get? Did you get the original Protos or the 2017 model?

+1

Though the 585 is a very rewarding bike ... mine is like an old friend ... just feels comfortable, responsive, balanced and it's quiet (smaller diameter tubes no doubt help here) ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Catagory6

by Catagory6

got the previous generation Protos. 2016 model

53x12

by 53x12

The 585/595 regular and ultra frames are some of the best frames made. Even if they are old, they are still great bikes. If you can get a NOS 595 that fits you, I think you should go for it. Lugged frames never go out of style. It will still look great in 10 years time imo.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Catagory6

by Catagory6

out of curiosity, how much would one expect to pay for NOS 595? I might have a line on one that's advertised at USD $2899, but that seems a little steep to me

53x12

by 53x12

Catagory6 wrote:out of curiosity, how much would one expect to pay for NOS 595? I might have a line on one that's advertised at USD $2899, but that seems a little steep to me

$2900 is too much at this point. I'd be looking at closer to $1500. RA Cycles has theirs for $1400.

https://www.racycles.com/outlet/road/lo ... gKv8_D_BwE

They have the 585 CA for $1200.

https://www.racycles.com/outlet/road/lo ... cole-11540
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Catagory6

by Catagory6

53x12 wrote:
Catagory6 wrote:out of curiosity, how much would one expect to pay for NOS 595? I might have a line on one that's advertised at USD $2899, but that seems a little steep to me

$2900 is too much at this point. I'd be looking at closer to $1500. RA Cycles has theirs for $1400.

ahh, thanks for the info
unfortunately its the wrong size (i ride a small). wrong color (not pro-team white... i'm very picky), and WRONG SHOP! i used to live up the street from that place, and boy-oh-boy. i wouldn't go there for a patch kit.

Look595

by Look595

Catagory6 wrote:
53x12 wrote:

ahh, thanks for the info
unfortunately its the wrong size (i ride a small). wrong color (not pro-team white... i'm very picky), and WRONG SHOP! i used to live up the street from that place, and boy-oh-boy. i wouldn't go there for a patch kit.

Then i say go for it if the bike is in your size and the color theme you are looking for. It is hard to find Look 595 in the correct sizing and colorway nowadays.
On a side note, i think that the pro team black is also very nice as i have one myself. the carbon is naked 3k weave and under bright sunlight,it is a beauty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com