Prescription Glasses - what are you wearing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I just wear my spectacles so I can see, and nothing else.

-Eddie

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Another vote for Rudy Project. Their frames are sturdy and have options for a variety of prescriptions. I've had two different frames and they've been top notch quality.

If your Rx is as high as -8.00 you will probably always struggle with racy, wrapped shades.

When I'm not riding my bike I practice optometry.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

I have been informed today from my optician that Oakley has discontinued the M-Frame and also the replacement Rx lenses for the M-Frame.

Too bad, they were great.
I will now look at the other Oakley Rx frames and may try some transition Rx glasses.

Are the transition glasses clear or light grey when outside in the winter with no sun but only clouds?

uraqt

by uraqt

Oakley has gone to shit since they were sold to Luxottica. I totally got the run around when me and my optician called them about getting replacement lenses. The lens were the exactly the same as lens I had order 4 years earlier.. nothing special just a replacement they had made in the past it was about 8 calls but no they can't make that RX any more. It was like the lost the skills or technology, I think they closed down were Oakleys were made and now the just make the same RX for all Luxottica companies in the same place..

I emailed Oakley and the the CEO no response back...good customer service..

I have worn nothing but RX Oakley since they started making them...lost me as as customer that is how I knew about Rudy lens...looking for alternatives so so lame

Gee wiz....lets stop making one of the top selling frame in the history of sun glasses ..Ray Ban Aviator, Wayfarer and Clubmaster, Vuarnet 02, Oakly M have to be the top 5 ...

C

They have stopped making the M frame before so maybe it a temp thing!!!!

PS I just remembered this issue too.... I had about 3 years before the replacement lenses, Oakley couldn't replace a screw from a frame that was one year old, I could't believe it I almost cried in my optician office when they told me I was in shock. I got the screw from eBay totally lucky.. that was when I found out they sold the company to Luxottica.

jwfinesse

by jwfinesse

My eyesight is pretty darn bad: -9~-10 SPH and CYL combined for both eyes. I used to ride with RGP and soft contact lenses, but putting them on before every single ride was a chore since I don't wear them on daily basis.

I recently got Rudy Project Impulse flip-up shade with regular RX lenses for glasses, and, for me, this is the best thing since sliced bread. With Rudy's photochromic lens, I can use it day and night, and I can just take out the outer lens, should I wish to use them as indoor sport glasses.

On the down side, because of its "glasses first, goggle second" nature, its wind blocking performance is not as good as full-on sports goggles, but I found it only matters when the speed exceeds 40mph.
Attachments
IMG_9518a.JPG

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I just wear my glasses with photochromatic lenses, anti reflection coatings, anti scratch coatings
Why i need to spend more money on cycling glasses is beyond me when the ones i wear have all i need.

jin28h

by jin28h

How about Uvex 710?

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:I have been informed today from my optician that Oakley has discontinued the M-Frame and also the replacement Rx lenses for the M-Frame.

What about the Oakley M2 frames?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

ms6073 wrote:
TonyM wrote:I have been informed today from my optician that Oakley has discontinued the M-Frame and also the replacement Rx lenses for the M-Frame.

What about the Oakley M2 frames?

I will ask.

What is the difference between the M-Frame and the M2-Frames?
Do they have the same style of attachment for the lenses?

ms6073

by ms6073

There are slight differences. For example the silicone 'socks' on the temples are completely different, but the main difference that will prevent interchangeability is the lens attachment as the M2 has a sharper 'hook' where the lens clicks into the frame.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Oakley Flak 2 with XL Prizm are lovely but the lenses are about 1mm too big for me and just brush my cheek so will get standard size of Flak 2 Transition lenses for winter.

The supplier/agent in UK was RXSport and service was excellent. Lenses made and shipped from CA, USA about ten days from order to delivery.

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Re M2 frames above. The sales agent advised me against prescription lenses for M2/Radar etc because the ground section can look very obvious and strange in the sweep of these single lenses.

But I have no experience of this and would defer to anyone who has used/seen/made them.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I've had great experience ordering Oakley Rx lenses from https://www.adseyewear.com/ . Great customer service, fast shipment, and excellent prices -- far less expensive than my local optician. My local optician was expensive and got a couple orders wrong. And they said they could not get Rx lenses for the Half Jacket 1.0 anymore. So I gave ADS Eyewear a try and I've been thoroughly delighted. Plus, they were able to get the lenses I wanted that the local optician said they could not.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

rudy project inserts for me, on noyz or Zyon frames. go out to just about -7.5 so work for what I need them to work to.

slowK

by slowK

jwfinesse wrote:My eyesight is pretty darn bad: -9~-10 SPH and CYL combined for both eyes. I used to ride with RGP and soft contact lenses, but putting them on before every single ride was a chore since I don't wear them on daily basis.

I recently got Rudy Project Impulse flip-up shade with regular RX lenses for glasses, and, for me, this is the best thing since sliced bread. With Rudy's photochromic lens, I can use it day and night, and I can just take out the outer lens, should I wish to use them as indoor sport glasses.

On the down side, because of its "glasses first, goggle second" nature, its wind blocking performance is not as good as full-on sports goggles, but I found it only matters when the speed exceeds 40mph.

Hi jwfinesse,

That looks tempting! My experience with inserts hasn't been great (but they were very low end BBB glasses), mainly the reflections off the double lenses (outer surface of insert onto inner surface of tinted outer lens). Do you get a lot of reflections? How about fogging?

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com