Prescription Glasses - what are you wearing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmp

by dmp

2angstroms, I have the inserts in my Rydon slims and while they are heavier than the lenses alone it’s not too bad. I had a pair of prescription lenses originally (clear, bought to use a eye protection in the operating room) but I found that because they have so much curvature I was bothered by distortion. That was quite a while ago so the technology might have improved.

My prescription is a progressive lens with very minimal distance correction- I’m mostly presbyopic.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

theStig wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:27 pm
any recommendations on where to get a decent deal on prescription oakleys?
A case of just shopping around. I'm based in UK (aka rip off Britain) and finding prices around £380 for Oakley frames with aftermarket lenses (at extremeeyewear), or £409 for Oakley frames with genuine Prizm Road varifocal lens (at rxsport). For the sake of £30 I'll be getting the full Oakley ones!

These prices are the best I've found online, local opticians are considerably more expensive, certainly £500+. These prices are for the newer Oakley Plazma. YMMV, in the US I'm certain they'd be much cheaper, like everything else!

Trouble is it seems there aren't that many sellers, so not much competition for sales

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilverSteve

by SilverSteve

Zenni Optical has some descent options. Super inexpensive too.
I have a pair of these I wear most of the time when cycling.
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/mens-pla ... Id=1116921
And this pair as well for casual cycling and off the bike.
https://www.zennioptical.com/p/plastic- ... Id=1116412

sychen

by sychen

naavt wrote:
fanatic278 wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:07 am
Does anyone have experience of the Oakley Photochromic compared to Transitions GEN 8?
I have a pair of Jawbreakers with photochromic lenses and they are my mid season/winter go to glasses. At first I was suspicious that they were too clear but those feelings went away in the very first rides with them. I do miss the Prizm contrast though!

Regarding prescripton, I have +3 and presbyopia due to age, and I simply use contacts: Bausch & Lomb for presbyopia. Never had an issue with them no matter what and I can use any pair of glasses that I want to. No need for prescription lenses in my glasses.
Use Transitions for regular glasses and Oakley photocromatics for cycling. I tend to see that Transitions change faster when moving from outdoor to indoor (or vice versa) and the clear is more clear and dark is probably darker but hard to measure as the size of the lenses are so different.

Not sure if there are generational differences in Oakley photocromatics but my older 6yr old lenses had the grayish clear mode and slower changes.

Have a new pair in my Flight Jackets that I've yet to use much due to injury.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

@BianchiDave

I live in the USA and bought from extremeeyewear, becasue oakley USA wouldn't make the Road Prizm lens in my RX but for some reason Oakley EU would... : )

While shipping took a long time the RX lenes are great!!! I would use extremeeyewear again and still look up frames/lenes on their site every month :)

C

PS this is just another small part of long store of my love hate relationship with Oakley... I have worn and will only wear Oakley RX in "everyday" glasses and sungless since the started offering them in 1902. :)

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

uraqt wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:17 am
@BianchiDave

I live in the USA and bought from extremeeyewear, becasue oakley USA wouldn't make the Road Prizm lens in my RX but for some reason Oakley EU would... : )

While shipping took a long time the RX lenes are great!!! I would use extremeeyewear again and still look up frames/lenes on their site every month :)

C

PS this is just another small part of long store of my love hate relationship with Oakley... I have worn and will only wear Oakley RX in "everyday" glasses and sungless since the started offering them in 1902. :)
Thats good to know, thanks

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I ordered Oakley Plazma Prizm Road varifocals from extreme-eyewear.co.uk today. Had a few queries and they were most helpful, and actually cheaper than everywhere else (sub £400) with the genuine Oakley lenses. I've been told turnaround time is around two weeks. Managed to try on a standard pair of Plazma to check fit and to make sure the legs were ok with my helmets. I really like the look of these, and they have been developed with varifocal prescriptions in mind, being deeper than the Racing Jackets on which they are based. Fingers crossed they're as good as I hope!

cajer

by cajer

woodyvalentine wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:05 am
BianchiDave wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:11 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:13 pm
I just got the Oakley plazma. Coming from the Oakley field jackets they are a bit smaller lens. But overall pretty good. Field jacket is discontinued now. I got the clear grey colour with photochromic clear to grey lenses. They're really the only new offering from Oakley for cycling with two lenses. Oakley's offerings for prescription are pretty limited. They really need more two lens sport glasses. Just make the flak 2.0 Xl bigger and a slight redesign. I got a really good deal with Oakley lenses for $500 CAD. Will recommend. Other options I was considering were 100% speed and sport coupe.
Do the Plazma have any issues fogging? I'm a bit concerned with them not having vented lenses with the full rim
Only two rides on them. No issues fogging. Field jacket, and flak jackets didn't fog either. Oakley lenses are pretty good for that. In situations that they would, I doubt any anti fog coating would make a difference. My regular daily glasses only fog going inside when it's cold. My previous Oakley's never really did that either.
How does the field of view and protection from the sun compare between the plasma and field jacket? I have a pair of field jackets but my myopia prescription increased, and they can't put any new lenses in them. So I'm considering the plasma, also are they better than the racing jacket?

alanyu

by alanyu

Jawbreaker and Radar ev. Customed prescription lens by Crossway in China.
No ultraman look is great. The lens shape is identical to the original ones but in two pieces. NXT instead of primz material though.
Attachments
20220703_204225.JPG

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

cajer wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:39 am
woodyvalentine wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:05 am
BianchiDave wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:11 pm
woodyvalentine wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:13 pm
I just got the Oakley plazma. Coming from the Oakley field jackets they are a bit smaller lens. But overall pretty good. Field jacket is discontinued now. I got the clear grey colour with photochromic clear to grey lenses. They're really the only new offering from Oakley for cycling with two lenses. Oakley's offerings for prescription are pretty limited. They really need more two lens sport glasses. Just make the flak 2.0 Xl bigger and a slight redesign. I got a really good deal with Oakley lenses for $500 CAD. Will recommend. Other options I was considering were 100% speed and sport coupe.
Do the Plazma have any issues fogging? I'm a bit concerned with them not having vented lenses with the full rim
Only two rides on them. No issues fogging. Field jacket, and flak jackets didn't fog either. Oakley lenses are pretty good for that. In situations that they would, I doubt any anti fog coating would make a difference. My regular daily glasses only fog going inside when it's cold. My previous Oakley's never really did that either.
How does the field of view and protection from the sun compare between the plasma and field jacket? I have a pair of field jackets but my myopia prescription increased, and they can't put any new lenses in them. So I'm considering the plasma, also are they better than the racing jacket?
Since they are a bit smaller lens I do get a bit of wind from the side but nothing major. All in all they are fine. If you can't get the field jackets any more then go try the plazma on. Probably your only next Oakley option other than Flak 2.0 XL which are smaller than plazma as well.

TonyM

by TonyM

alanyu wrote:Jawbreaker and Radar ev. Customed prescription lens by Crossway in China.
No ultraman look is great. The lens shape is identical to the original ones but in two pieces. NXT instead of primz material though.
What is the lens type/ colour of the red/white Oakley at the bottom of the picture? Are these Prizm? if yes, which type?

alanyu

by alanyu

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:14 am
alanyu wrote:Jawbreaker and Radar ev. Customed prescription lens by Crossway in China.
What is the lens type/ colour of the red/white Oakley at the bottom of the picture? Are these Prizm? if yes, which type?
Crossway doesn't make prizm lens, which is the patent of Oakley. That one is photochromic NXT lens with red coating.

okx

by okx

Oakley Flak 2.0. I already had the frame, so ordered prescription lenses (Prism road) from https://www.rxsport.co.uk.
It was most expensive my glasses, but it was worth it.

TonyM

by TonyM

alanyu wrote: Crossway doesn't make prizm lens, which is the patent of Oakley. That one is photochromic NXT lens with red coating.
They look good!

Where do you order the glasses? Any link?

alanyu

by alanyu

TonyM wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:14 pm
alanyu wrote: Crossway doesn't make prizm lens, which is the patent of Oakley. That one is photochromic NXT lens with red coating.
They look good!

Where do you order the glasses? Any link?
From taobao. https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =17#detail

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com