Prescription Glasses - what are you wearing?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

eaglejackson wrote:I've had great experience ordering Oakley Rx lenses from https://www.adseyewear.com/ . Great customer service, fast shipment, and excellent prices -- far less expensive than my local optician. My local optician was expensive and got a couple orders wrong. And they said they could not get Rx lenses for the Half Jacket 1.0 anymore. So I gave ADS Eyewear a try and I've been thoroughly delighted. Plus, they were able to get the lenses I wanted that the local optician said they could not.

Thanks for that feedback.
I am also about to order some Oakley Half jacket with transition glasses and they are indeed much cheaper (or let's say less expensive)!
I will give a try and order these at "adseyewear.com".

How long did you wait between order and reception of your Rx glasses?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

TonyM wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:I've had great experience ordering Oakley Rx lenses from https://www.adseyewear.com/ . Great customer service, fast shipment, and excellent prices -- far less expensive than my local optician. My local optician was expensive and got a couple orders wrong. And they said they could not get Rx lenses for the Half Jacket 1.0 anymore. So I gave ADS Eyewear a try and I've been thoroughly delighted. Plus, they were able to get the lenses I wanted that the local optician said they could not.

Thanks for that feedback.
I am also about to order some Oakley Half jacket with transition glasses and they are indeed much cheaper (or let's say less expensive)!
I will give a try and order these at "adseyewear.com".

How long did you wait between order and reception of your Rx glasses?

IIRC it has been usually about a week between order and reception. Maybe two at the tops. They are also very responsive over email and phone to any questions or issues.

I've bought quite a number of Rx lenses in various colors from ADS Eyewear over the years for Half Jacket 1.0, Half Jacket 2.0, and Flak Jacket.

I gave the transition lenses a try a year and a half ago and love them. I live in the PNW where it can be overcast or gray. In those conditions I used a lens with a high VLT like a rose or G30. Or clear when I'm mountain biking in the forest or road biking in winter gray or rain. But some days especially summer it can be bright. Or we travel to ride in sunny locations like Hawaii, Mallorca, Norcal, etc. And for those rides I'd want a darker lens.

With the transition lens I have found they work in all conditions, from when I would want a clear lens all the way to the brightest, hottest days in Hawaii or Mallorca. I brought extra, dark lenses for the trips to the sunny places just in case, but found the transitions worked just great. I'm a big fan now and so is my wife who uses the transition lenses now too (non Rx).

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for your feedback!

Are your Rx transition clear or slightly grey when it is the winter gray or when it is the winter and raining for example?

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

TonyM wrote:Thanks for your feedback!

Are your Rx transition clear or slightly grey when it is the winter gray or when it is the winter and raining for example?

They are clear or very slightly gray, depending on conditions. I don't use my clear lenses anymore.

TonyM

by TonyM

eaglejackson wrote:
TonyM wrote:Thanks for your feedback!

They are clear or very slightly gray, depending on conditions. I don't use my clear lenses anymore.

Ok. Thanks. That's sound very good.

BianchiDave

by BianchiDave

I'm having to accept its finally time to give in and order a pair of prescription Oakleys as I can see the square root of bugger all these days without my glasses.

Local opticians (in UK) have been less than helpful so looking at online options - RX Sport seem to be pretty good, with competitive prices. I'd be looking around £409 for a pair of Plazma with Prizm Road varifocal.

Anyone have the Plazma? I can't try these on anywhere local so would be interested in the fit compared to my current Radar Path EV. I have a smallish head, about 56cm (S helmet size) and the standard Radar EVs are fine, as in they stay on. My main concern is if the Plazma were wider on the legs, or maybe less secure if they weighed a bit more too.

I'll likely order a cheap standard pair to check the fit regardless, and then return them.

woodyvalentine

by woodyvalentine

I just got the Oakley plazma. Coming from the Oakley field jackets they are a bit smaller lens. But overall pretty good. Field jacket is discontinued now. I got the clear grey colour with photochromic clear to grey lenses. They're really the only new offering from Oakley for cycling with two lenses. Oakley's offerings for prescription are pretty limited. They really need more two lens sport glasses. Just make the flak 2.0 Xl bigger and a slight redesign. I got a really good deal with Oakley lenses for $500 CAD. Will recommend. Other options I was considering were 100% speed and sport coupe.

justonwo

by justonwo

I had the Oakley Jawbreaker with Rx lenses. In that design, they insert two Rx lenses into the shield. Unfortunately, the edges of the Rx lenses shatter under the stress. I've been through two lenses already and Oakley got tired of sending warranty lenses to me, so they sent a Flak 2.0 instead. Those are holding up quite nicely.

Before the Oakleys, I had purchased the Rx attachment for Smith frames. Their attachment would clip on behind a normal wrap-around shield. On two occasions, the pressure from the Rx lenses against the shield caused the shield to shatter within a couple weeks of first use. Complete garbage design. Smith told me that had never happened to anyone else and refused to replace the shield after the second time. Having purchased many Smith glasses over the years, that was really disappointing.

I'm happy to pay a premium for frames if they last several seasons, but my glasses don't even seem to survive one season. I'm hopeful that the Flak 2.0 lasts a while.
2020 Pinarello Dogma F12 AXS Red (Enve SES 3.4 Disc, Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

okx

by okx

As I already had Oklay Flak 2.0 XL, this year ordered RX lenses from RX Sport and result - I'm very happy...
It's expensive lenses, but they worth it.

DaveS

by DaveS

I bought Oakley half jacket glasses from sportrx.com this year. Working fine so far. I used my vision insurance for this calendar year, but they pay very little when using an out of network source. In network might not be any cheaper. You get a big discount on a much higher initial cost.

scb

by scb

Bolle Shifters with RX here. Very happy with them.

sychen

by sychen

woodyvalentine wrote:I just got the Oakley plazma. Coming from the Oakley field jackets they are a bit smaller lens. But overall pretty good. Field jacket is discontinued now. I got the clear grey colour with photochromic clear to grey lenses. They're really the only new offering from Oakley for cycling with two lenses. Oakley's offerings for prescription are pretty limited. They really need more two lens sport glasses. Just make the flak 2.0 Xl bigger and a slight redesign. I got a really good deal with Oakley lenses for $500 CAD. Will recommend. Other options I was considering were 100% speed and sport coupe.
Field jacket discontinued? They are pretty new in the lineup.. Just got a pair late last year to replace my wrecked Racing Jackets (Ala Geraint Thomas).

RJ still fits better due to its size.. FJ has better ventilation.

RJ is being made again since my purchase so that's an option.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

stillTrying

by stillTrying

I'm rocking some Roka Kona's with the bronze lens.
I really like them a lot.
Super light weight
Stay right on my face
And the bronze lens isn't too dark so I can see in the shadows really well.

fanatic278

by fanatic278

scb wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:45 pm
Bolle Shifters with RX here. Very happy with them.
Just wondering if these used clip in inserts, or something else?
Using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I can recommend eye surgery to correct your eyes. Freedom without full time glasses is bliss!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com