Tips for covering holes with sugru?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

Hi,

I have converted my mechanical frame to DI2. There are some holes in the frames such as in the headtube. I have bought a sugru for that as many of you recommended. Any tips for using it? I just wonder, how do I remove it in case I need it..
Attachments
DSC_0257.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Follow the instructions on the package. I used it to cover some holes when I installed eTap. (I 'smoothed' it into place with my fingers, and in daylight, it's pretty much invisible on my frame. With my camera-phone, under LED lighting in the house, it is kinda visible). Works a treat!

Last edited by JackRussellRacing on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

Thanks..that is my plan, to just push it inside and maybe with wet fingers try to create a smooth surface (if it works like that:) My consern is, when I will try to get it away (for example when I will want to sell the frame), is there a way, can I just pull it away as one piece when it is deep in the hole?

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

hannawald wrote:Thanks..that is my plan, to just push it inside and maybe with wet fingers try to create a smooth surface (if it works like that:) My consern is, when I will try to get it away (for example when I will want to sell the frame), is there a way, can I just pull it away as one piece when it is deep in the hole?

I have not removed Surgu from a frame (sell a bike? That's not permitted, is it???)

I think if you poke a little needle into the Sugru, it could be gently pulled out. I'd be more worried about it popping into the frame and rolling around inside for all eternity. Having said that.... the Sugru on mine has endured cold temps, brutal high temps, massive rain, grotesque sweat, and gentle cleaning of the frame with premium car-washing soap.

sungod

by sungod

clean and degrease the surface it's going to need to stick to

get a lump and squish it in, smooth the surface without pushing too hard (to avoid getting an indentation), if it goes wrong just pull it out and retry

sugru is just a silicone rubber, the bond is far weaker than epoxy etc., if/when you need to remove it, use a small pick to get the bulk out, any residue can be scraped/rubbed away

fwiw when installing etap i removed the cable stop mount on the downtube, and filled the two screw holes with sugru to prevent water getting in, still looks like new after about 18 months

hannawald

by hannawald

perfect, thanks everybody. Will try my luck:)

ntb1001

by ntb1001

wow...looks cool. I havent seen this stuff...where do you find it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

eric01

by eric01

Google is pretty awesome.

http://www.sugru.com
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

ntb1001 wrote:wow...looks cool. I havent seen this stuff...where do you find it?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

It comes out of the bark on trees.

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Most frame manufacturers make covers for Di2. I used 2 of them on my Emonda when installing eTap. For the rear, I found a small rubber plug at the hardware store.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com