New bike advice: Cervelo, Look, Canyon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I know people hate this type of thread, but I'm looking at getting a new bike and can't decide between the following: Cervelo R5, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 or new Look 785 RS. I'm leaning towards the Look as I think the geometry would suit me the best in the Large; I tend to be right between the 56/58 Cervelo and M/L Canyon. The stack and reach of the Large Look seems to be just right.

The only one I would be able to test ride would be the Cervelo...maybe the Look once it hits bike shops, but that's a big maybe since there's only one shop that carries Look where I live and they are tiny.

Weight is not my primary concern, ride quality is. I would probably sell the stock wheels that come with the bike and use my current Enve 4.5s.

Currently riding a Look 586, which is 10 years old. Any and all advice, musings, thoughts are appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Lookryder wrote:
I know people hate this type of thread, but I'm looking at getting a new bike and can't decide between the following: Cervelo R5, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 or new Look 785 RS. I'm leaning towards the Look as I think the geometry would suit me the best in the Large; I tend to be right between the 56/58 Cervelo and M/L Canyon. The stack and reach of the Large Look seems to be just right.

Why have you limited your choice to these three bikes?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I hate to disappoint some people but Hambini on youtube has found boardman/cervelo/cannondale/specialized bottom bracket shells to be quite far from acceptable tolerances. 200 bikes were tested. They run a high risk of developing creaks.

Time and Look frames had the most impressive tolerances in the test. Hongfu/dengfu was not far behind.

/a

kgt

by kgt

I am not surprised that Boardman, Cervelo, Cannondale or Specialized have a much lower manufacturing quality than Time or Look frames but honestly I did not expect to be even worst than Hongfu/Dengfu...

ntb1001

by ntb1001

kgt wrote:I am not surprised that Boardman, Cervelo, Cannondale or Specialized have a much lower manufacturing quality than Time or Look frames but honestly I did not expect to be even worst than Hongfu/Dengfu...
I have a R series frame with press fit with no issues at all...very quiet. Although, my son had a S5 for some time that we never got to stop creaking. He has replaced that with a Look, and it's quiet as well.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Squashednuts wrote:
Lookryder wrote:

Hmmm, good question. I guess those were the three that I appealed to me, but I'm open to suggestions. I've been a fan of Look ever since I got my 586, and the size and geometry of the 785 seems just right. The canyon is a stunning value, but I would need to exchange the stock bar/stem for a shorter length. The Cervelo seems like a great bike in general.

I am worried a bit about press fit BB. My threaded BB has been hastle free.

ntb1001

by ntb1001

Lookryder wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
Lookryder wrote:

Hmmm, good question. I guess those were the three that I appealed to me, but I'm open to suggestions. I've been a fan of Look ever since I got my 586, and the size and geometry of the 785 seems just right. The canyon is a stunning value, but I would need to exchange the stock bar/stem for a shorter length. The Cervelo seems like a great bike in general.

Although I prefer a traditional threaded BB. I think the press fit options are generally good if installed correctly.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

ntb1001 wrote:
Lookryder wrote:
Squashednuts wrote:
Lookryder wrote:

Although I prefer a traditional threaded BB. I think the press fit options are generally good if installed correctly.

-this-..........there is so much unwarranted worry and discussion about the fear of press fit. I have three press fit bikes.....two aluminum, one carbon. While the cheap, delrin bottom brackets from Sram and others can develop noise, all three of mine are equipped with Chris King PF bottom brackets. All three are and have been completely silent. The key is a well engineered bottom bracket with very tight tolerances. They should be true interference fit and not easy to press in. No chance of movement at all. King bottom brackets in general are of the highest quality. The ability to regrease them at will with the injector tool ensures that they will indeed last a lifetime. Not inexpensive, but totally trouble free.

edit to add.......everyone will comment "it's not the bottom bracket! it's the carbon shells that are out of tolerance"! The King stuff is just slightly oversized with chamfered lips to allow easy initial entry. As it gets pressed in the oversized diameter fills up any imperfections in the shell. As I said.......effort required to press in.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Lookryder

by Lookryder

Thanks for all the replies! This eases my fears about press fit BB.

1415chris

by 1415chris

All this creaking business we all can put behind and move on.
Aluminium threaded together inserts sort the issue out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TiCass

by TiCass

1415chris wrote:All this creaking business we all can put behind and move on.
Aluminium threaded together inserts sort the issue out.

You're right... and i think its standard on some 2018 Cervelo model.