Looking to build a 12-lbs climbing bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Hey guys,

I'm looking to build a 12-lbs climbing bike and have some ideas to share. I have a decent, though not unlimited budget. Please let me know what you think. Any suggestions would be appreciated it.

Frame- Canyon Ultimate Evo (with Canyon Cockpit)
Wheelset- Campagnolo Bora Ultra 35 Tubs
Drivetrain- Shimano Dura Ace 9150 or Sram E-Tap
Saddle- Selle Italia Tekno Flow
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

35mm wheels on a climbing bike?
25mm will get you sub 1kg.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Yea those wheels don't make sense. And if you really want to be as light as possible stick with SRAM Red mechanical.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Thenuge wrote:Yea those wheels don't make sense. And if you really want to be as light as possible stick with SRAM Red mechanical.

I'm not going for the lowest weight bike possible. I want light, but bike needs to be practical and fun too. I'm fully aware of sub-1000 gram tubs, Sram Red mechanical, and 50 grams saddles.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

For reference, this was 5.39kg and cost a decent amount under $3,000 USD.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Doesn't seem to me that you actually do want any suggestions

53x12

by 53x12

dudemanppl wrote:For reference, this was 5.39kg and cost a decent amount under $3,000 USD.

[img]https://www.pedalroom.com/p/2014-focus-izalco-max-30-54cm-28499_8.jpg

Very nice! Great weight for a great price. What % would you say was used vs. new for the build?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Zakalwe wrote:Doesn't seem to me that you actually do want any suggestions

I guess you're somewhat right. I'm locked in on the frameset and the cockpit it comes with. The weight is super low, price is awesome, and quality, high. I do want electronic shifting so lightweight mechanical groups like Red and Super Record are out of the question. I guess that leaves suggestions for climbing wheels.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Etap and used lightweight tubs?

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Nejmann wrote:Etap and used lightweight tubs?

Yeah good choice. I was also thinking about Tune's 930 gram Skyline Tubular climbing wheels which are currently on sale at Bike24. Anyone know how these wheels compare to the Lightweights, Campy Bora Ultras, Enve 202, etc..?

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

eTap is heavier than R9150, Tune Skylines are trash.

Marin

by Marin

The Canyon cockpit is pig heavy though

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

dudemanppl wrote:eTap is heavier than R9150, Tune Skylines are trash.

How about Ax-Lightness Ultra 25 Tubs? Better than Enve 2.2 Tubs with ceramic hubs?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

What is the weight of the frame and cockpit? There are lots of little places to save weight (post clamp, expander, cable housing, brakes, skewers, etc). So you may well be able to hit your weight goals without going sub 1kg on wheels.

That said, forum member RyanH had a very short time with Skylines before they killed themselves (fortunately not taking him along). The AX wheels seem to have a decent reputation. The Enve hubs are quickly building a less than stellar reputation but those are also not sub 1kg. In the 1000-1100g range, there are lots of good options these days (Reynolds 32 as pictures above, Lightweights, FSE 25)

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

How much do you weigh? This influences wheel decisions a LOT. I also don't recommend the Canyon. Sure the frame may be lighter by a bit, but there aren't any light 1 1/4" stem options out there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com