Upgrading brakes on budget

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Asscdi

by Asscdi

A bit off topic, but are brake calipers for 105 5800 better then Ultegra R8050? Has anyone already an opinion on the 105 R7000 calipers?

glepore

by glepore

Ringo wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:08 pm
@themidge
I was looking those Ciamillo brakes, but I read too many bad reviews..
What’s your opinion on them?
Just to chime in, I have 3 sets of Ciamillo's and a set of EE's. I also have DA9000's. The Ciamillo's stop great and feel good, but you need to work within their limitations. Without a very low profile pad holder, they simply don't like wider wheels, say 26mm and above, even with the micro cam. The cable length needs to be just right or they are off center. Centering requires an open end wrench, not an allen key. But I have to say, they feel really nice paired with Sram or Campy levers, and good with Shimano. The price is right, watch ebay and you can get them for under $150. If the finish is beat up, you can disassemble them easily (watch out for where the shims go) and deannodize them with some lye, and they look great naked. They are 95% of the brake that the ee is for half the price, easily, so long as you don't run wide wheels. If you do, budget extra for the ultraslim holders or buy the much more expensive gsl micro's.

The TRP's are another option. The 979's are prolific and are good brakes. 970's don't play with Shimano cable pull.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Sram force 2nd hand
Promax RC472 can also be bought for around 35€ and those are very powerful, mostly due to the stock swiss stop pads.

Both of these measure around 290 grams and have very fine stopping power and premium pads. They are not as gradually dosable as ultegras, simpler, but cheaper and lighter..

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2398869846

This should shave a lot of weight, without compromising the power

sadisticnoob

by sadisticnoob

I had good luck with the July 20F brakes from Bike 24.

Just that the spring is abit fincky since it came out quite a few times.

53 eur for 250 grams.

https://www.bike24.com/p214546.html