Garmin Edge 1030 and Vector 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Several big IFs:
* if no pods (it looks like so)
* if pedals significantly lighter than Powertap (they look to be?)
* if no problems with accuracy (hmm.....)
* if price is competitive (below $900 / EUR900)

... then these are going to be a big winner.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:Several big IFs:

The first three are pretty safe bets. The last, I'd assume US$1000. Also wondering what the battery situation is. I'm not seeing any obvious charging port. Looks like there's a hex or torx battery cap on the end of the spindle, so maybe AAAs like the P1.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

I JUST purchased a pair of Vector 2, and received them less than 2 hours ago.

If I had known this I might have held out for the Vector 3. Oh well.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

seems like all products go through a windows, excel or i-phone product cycle. in the beginning the product is greatly improved and useful features added, later on it becomes harder to add truly needed enhancements. I look at this and what I do with my bike computer and I'm hard pressed to think why I need this. Feel the same way with my Galaxy 5 phone and the newer smart phones out there.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

silvalis

by silvalis

TobinHatesYou wrote:
mrlobber wrote:Several big IFs:

The first three are pretty safe bets. The last, I'd assume US$1000. Also wondering what the battery situation is. I'm not seeing any obvious charging port. Looks like there's a hex or torx battery cap on the end of the spindle, so maybe AAAs like the P1.

I don't think that is likely. Doesn't look like enough room for the pedal spindle if an AAA.
Perhaps some sort of small lithium button, eg a cr1632, although that is likely too wide, cr2, cr123a or ye olde std sr44?
or maybe a screw off cap and a usb charge jack
Chasse patate

srshaw

by srshaw

Now that the newer Fenix/forerunner watches will can use ant+ and Bluetooth sensors, dual ant+/ Bluetooth would be great.

ergott

by ergott

If they can actually make the 1000 series battery last longer than 8 hours I'll make the switch. I want no less then 12 hours per charge using all the peripherals and GPS features, not a bunch of battery saving hacks that hamstring the functionality of the unit.

I love the functionality of my 1000, but the battery is a major issue for me several times a year when I'm out all day.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

12 hours is the minimum a good bike computer should support . during the summer rides get longer and can range well beyond the standard century. this is more important than added features.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

uraqt

by uraqt

I agree that the Vector 3 look like it's all in the pedal ... however look at the sole of the shoe in the pix... it's very very funny looking my guess is it just to hide the shoe manufacture .... just say don't get hopes up...

C

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Another Vector 3 picture

See all my bike h e r e

silvalis

by silvalis

I reckon that silver thing on the shoe is just 'artists impression'. That end cap definitely looks like its designed to be unscrewed.

Hopefully not those rubbish AAAAs...
Chasse patate

jlok

by jlok

Tillquist wrote:Another Vector 3 picture

nothing...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Shrike

by Shrike

Will upgrade our 1000 if this is lighter and real world battery usage is improved. I like the white design and screen rendering. Though real screen won't look as vivid. General experience needs to be improved overall to make this flagship model great. Not much they can add really in terms of new features that people will actually use.

Customisable love segments screen would be excellent. Love to be able to display ave watts/current wattage on it and remove the map.

I always use the 520 these days anyway. Small and light, but the missus likes the larger screen, easier to pick out data and she had more fields that me, like gear combo etc.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Garmin 1030 has 3.5 inch display, good lord. If you need so much real estate, just mount a smartphone with Quad Lock handlebar mount and Quad Lock phone case.

This is going to be the third generation (e.g. Vector 3) and still no Shimano cleats compatibility?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com