Garmin Edge 1030 and Vector 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ergott

by ergott

2old4this wrote:Has anyone moved from 1000 to 1030, yet?

I can get an 1030 at an LBS for $420, though I am not sure it is justifiable...
I did. Big improvement in battery life. Data screens noticeably larger too. I'm happy.

I also like the battery saving mode that turns off the screen. Most rides I'm using Garmin for recording and not looking at data real time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

Just got a 1030 after selling my 820. It’s the first Garmin product that I have really liked immediately. I was concerned about its size but the map is now readable and some of the Garmin iq apps now are great. I have only had one issue. I still sometimes get a upload failed when syncing via phone Bluetooth. Overall it is a great device. If I was Garmin only change I would make is put start/stop button and lap button on sides rather than bottom to make it easier with my old mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dvq

by dvq

I've moved over to a 1030 from my 1000 because the 1000 power button was dying. Here are my thoughts:
- screen is bigger and the ui elements are easier to see.
- screen has far less contrast, looks washed out most of the time, brightness is also lacking
- constant bluetooth disconnects just like the 1000
- touch sensitivity is far below the 1000, none of my gloves work with the 1030
- battery life is awesome
- temp reading is often 10F too high
- gradient is really slow to update, minutes slow
- lots of little software glitches

silvalis

by silvalis

Has anyone received a vector 3 yet? I was thinking of ordering one but the shops down here keep shifting the delivery date backwards each month.
Chasse patate

drhex

by drhex

silvalis wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:44 am
Has anyone received a vector 3 yet? I was thinking of ordering one but the shops down here keep shifting the delivery date backwards each month.
Have a pair, what do you want to know?

silvalis

by silvalis

nothing. Just wondering if there was actually stock out there in the wild, as all shops appear to still be on backorder.
Chasse patate

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

silvalis wrote:nothing. Just wondering if there was actually stock out there in the wild, as all shops appear to still be on backorder.
Idk .. but I walked in my LBS and there they were . In fact I didn’t even see them .. mgr told me
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Local Garmin distributor had a "Christmas" promotion on Vector 3: 10% discount plus an additional year of warranty, so I obviously snatched a pair :D When I expressed surprise about them having these actually in stock, they said that the allocated quantity for them wasn't large either. So my conclusion is that you can get them if you manage to find a "pocket" with a demand-supply disbalance, which currently clearly doesn't apply to popular online shops and similar places.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I want to know about they Vector 3 accuracy - I've been following the thread on Garmin forums for a while now and most of the conclusions people are getting is that there's something wrong with their indoor trainers, not the Vectors themselves (which is hard to believe for me). Many people are reporting constant higher readings (by few %) when comparing Vectors with either crank-based power meters or top tier indoor trainers (Tacx Neo). Garmin officials do not seem to have the same issues, duh.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sp ... acy-thread

mrlobber

by mrlobber

lovemyway wrote: I want to know about they Vector 3 accuracy - I've been following the thread on Garmin forums for a while now and most of the conclusions people are getting is that there's something wrong with their indoor trainers, not the Vectors themselves (which is hard to believe for me). Many people are reporting constant higher readings (by few %) when comparing Vectors with either crank-based power meters or top tier indoor trainers (Tacx Neo).
FWIW, out of 3 my rides (on a "dumb trainer"), one active recovery level ride was reported to be dead even with my crank based PM by Vectors, while two others with some SST and FTP level intensities mixed in, the Vectors underreported the power by 10...15W on average, haven't checked in detailed level yet. I'm saying underreported since the particular crank based PM I'm comparing with, has been verified against 3 other PM's, one of which was being used in a sports testing lab.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike