Specialized S-works stems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rvlvr

by rvlvr

Hi all,

Hey, looking for a stem, and was offered S-works options. One is the older carbon model with the magnesium faceplace issues (the faceplate has been changed), and the other is a new aluminum one. Does anyone know if those stems are stiff? I'd rather the stem was a sturdy one (I am 6 feet and 200 pounds, so not a giant, but not a flyweight either). How do S-works stems compare to FSA or others, are they worth the money?

Thank you.

Oh yeah: both stems are 130mm. The carbon one weighs 182 grams, and the aluminum is 136 grams (which makes it feel flimsy).

And I tried to look for a topic so I wouldn't need to create a new one, but I failed. If this has been done to death already, please, do show me to the right thread. Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pyrahna

by pyrahna

Of those 2 go with the aluminum one....it is just a nicer piece if the carbon one is the one I think it is.

The real answer is once you get out to 120mm plus and want a stiff stem you should go with the Zipp SL Sprint stem. It's heavy'ish, but there is a reason that there are a lot of sprinters in the pro peloton on it even though Zipp doesn't sponsor them. It is silly stiff. Or the Pro Vibe sprint carbon is in a similar category.

rvlvr

by rvlvr

Gotcha!

Thanks, man. Much appreciated.