Garmin 520 Firmware Update 12.1 and eTap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

Anyone using Garmin 520 with eTap and having the same issue as I have?

With the latest firmware 12.1, my eTap gear combo display is intermittent. It used to show what gears I'm on always. Now, I get the 0-0 on the display and will display the combo every now and then. I also noticed a delay/lag on the display after you shifted gears.

Did a reset and everything you can think off but issue persists.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=WVXIeK2qt3k

On the connected sensors, only eTap is blinking. Not sure if it was always like this.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=tEOqv1KBKts

Tried a roll back to 11.10 but the error persists. :(

Contacted garmin support but nothing.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Is this only at the start of rides? The Garmin will display 0-0 until you shift the front derailleur at least once.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I can tell you exactly what this is, as I struggled with it for a couple of days........one of the tabs on one of your batteries is broken, about to break, or getting weak. To verify, affix some black electrical tape firmly on the battery so it is pulling towards the derailleur. Problem should stop. Order new batteries. A sram dealer can get you free replacements, if you provide the serial number of the affected battery.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

^^ OK I'll check on that one - tnx, although I'm not the only one having the issue.

https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sp ... -1-upgrade

I'd like to add that garmin contacted me via email 3 days ago when I reached out to their support email. I only saw it today and responded back on the info they need.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

TobinHatesYou wrote:Is this only at the start of rides? The Garmin will display 0-0 until you shift the front derailleur at least once.

It's the whole ride. You shift, it would show 0-0 (as in the video), then will show the combo, then go back to 0-0. Sometimes, you shift, there is a lag before the combo is shown. Sometimes, you shift, but the display does not change.

All I can remember before the update was that it always show what gear combo I was in. There was no crazy lag as well.

commendatore

by commendatore

Remove both batteries, reinstall them. Shift the front derailleur first and it should go back to normal.

ergott

by ergott

commendatore wrote:Remove both batteries, reinstall them. Shift the front derailleur first and it should go back to normal.
This worked for me when I had the same symptoms.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

You guys have me now thinking that the act of replacing the cracked tab battery may have fixed the problem? I'm not 100% convinced that it is a reset/update issue. When I initially got the gear indicator going in and out symptoms, I removed both batteries and switched their positions. Problem persisted. I removed them again a couple of days later and examined them closely. The tab on the front derailleur battery was partially chipped off. I ordered a new battery from competitive cyclist and while waiting it's arrival I re-installed the old batteries again. The problem persisted. This time I taped the front battery tightly to the derailleur and the problem immediately went away. I did not remove the battery a third time prior to taping so there was no "re-set". The problem simply stopped once the tape was applied. I have since replaced both batteries with new and the problem has not come back. Weird stuff.

ergott

by ergott

Sorry, I also gave them a full charge when I swapped them. I also noticed that gear indication becoming spotty was the first symptom one or both of my batteries needed charging (different occasion). I charged them and all was well again.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

commendatore wrote:Remove both batteries, reinstall them. Shift the front derailleur first and it should go back to normal.

Yes, this looks like resolved my issues. :thumbup:

I took out both batteries, inspected them and wiped them out as well. Waited a few minutes. Put them back in and shifted the front and PRESTO - we have a working connection!!!! When I checked the connected sensor screen, the eTap was solid (not blinking). Gears combo looked OK as well.

Waiting to see if this fixed 100% of my issue when I ride on the weekend but I'm optimistic.

Thanks!

BTW, my battery tabs are ok.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

TarugoKing wrote:

Yes, this looks like resolved my issues. :thumbup:

I took out both batteries, inspected them and wiped them out as well. Waited a few minutes. Put them back in and shifted the front and PRESTO - we have a working connection!!!! When I checked the connected sensor screen, the eTap was solid (not blinking). Gears combo looked OK as well.

Waiting to see if this fixed 100% of my issue when I ride on the weekend but I'm optimistic.

Thanks!

BTW, my battery tabs are ok.

Great news! Glad that worked and even happier your tabs are ok. Now I don't know why taping the battery tighter on to the body worked for me?