CAAD12 Disc - tyre size and guards

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Multebear

by Multebear

willmac wrote:9.6 plus guards, plus lights, plus etc.... no thanks but each to their own. Use raceblades in spring and they are nice for what they are but would not use in them in rain and 1-3 degrees for a couple of hours. As per the OP, I was just looking for advice on caad12 disc and fenders, nothing else

9,6 is a lot, I agree. But if doing a lot of group rides all year round in wet/rainy conditions, one might as well just bite the bullet and mount full fender setup. If the guys you ride with do the same, then all are equally at disadvantage.

Regarding mounting fenders on the Caad12 under the fork, I've seen guys get away with double face permanent adhesive. But none of them without issues.

Regarding rear mounting, zip ties to the seat stays seems to be a solution to some. But then again not without issues. It wont last and needs regular maintenance. It helps to mount another fender stay and mount it vertical to releave pressure from the zip ties.

willmac

by willmac

I appreciate the feedback. Updated model with flat mount fork is the same as the supersix and has a nice big upset at the fork crown. Zip ties over that won't be moving anywhere. A friend has fabricated alloy plates with eyelets for forks before that you ziptie and p clamps at the rear. Biggest challenge with be no brake bridge but fabricating a strut shouldn't be too difficult. I put fenders on in October and leave them on until April so as long as it's done securely, a bit of messing around twice a year doesn't bother me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 573

Well I decided to get the CAAD12 disc and work the mudguards out later. Will report back once I've got it home and set to work to devise a solution.

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

I don't own a CAAD, nor do I own these mudguards, but I think they're interesting: https://www.crudproducts.com/product/roadracer-mk3/

"Weighing in at only 260 grams the pair, they fit to all 700c bikes including both disc and caliper brakes." according to the seller.

Attermann

by Attermann

They are not nearly long enough for anything else than keeping yourself dry

by 573

DutchMountains wrote:I don't own a CAAD, nor do I own these mudguards, but I think they're interesting: https://www.crudproducts.com/product/roadracer-mk3/

"Weighing in at only 260 grams the pair, they fit to all 700c bikes including both disc and caliper brakes." according to the seller.

Interesting, thanks. I used the Roadracer Mk2s years ago. They were initially OK but eventually drove me insane as they rubbed on the frame and wheels. I seemed to be constantly adjusting the things.

I then moved onto SKS Raceblades and Bluemels. Both worked to a degree but also had their downsides. I think a combination of a few different kits might work best...

willmac

by willmac

Take a look at the pics here. My mates caad10 set up with longboards. Solid as a rock.
https://www.strava.com/activities/728500667

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I have a friend with a CAAD12 Disc. Beautiful bike, but such a shame Cannondale does not come up with some simple fender mounting options. He runs some SKS Raceblade strap-on fenders. Half-fenders = half-solution.

As examples of minimalist fender mounts, look at the Trek Domane, it has the hidden mounts. Or something like the Niner RLT RDO, very subtle fender mounts.

willmac

by willmac

573 wrote:Well I decided to get the CAAD12 disc and work the mudguards out later. Will report back once I've got it home and set to work to devise a solution.

How did you go with your mudguards? I’ve been waiting for the new di2 ultegra and should get mine before the weekend now. Will be working on getting mudguards on straight away. Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated

TonyM

by TonyM

willmac wrote:Take a look at the pics here. My mates caad10 set up with longboards. Solid as a rock.
https://www.strava.com/activities/728500667

Nicely made ! :thumbup:

willmac

by willmac

So I finally got my CAAD 12 sorted out properly for winter. Dropped the front Mech to save it from a beating and have on 25mm clinchers that come out around 27mm and sks bleumels. No rubbing, no rattling, no mess.
09CD0660-5ABC-42D4-8E56-6CA35A58944D.jpeg

by 573

Awesome - any close-up pics of how the guards mount? It isn't the one that Mike @ MB Cyclery sorted is it?

willmac

by willmac

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0#p1375530

Have a look here. Not the best pictures but will give you an idea. They are off for the summer so can’t take any at the moment