Trek Madone vs. Trek Emonda decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

53x12 wrote:
jlmcabral wrote:
Lieblingsleguan wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:
Just out of curiousity, have you ever ridden an aero bike and tracked power?

Please don't...

Why do you say that? I'm actualy curious now about this topic

You are new and don't understand kgt and his irrational hate and lack of understanding all things aero. For someone that supposedly teaches engineering at the university level to boot.

In the Colnago V2-R Thread, he said he is teaching design which, looking at my experiences with some (not all!) product designers, could explain a lot.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Before you guys accuse me (so boring...) explain first why Contador or Mollema still prefer the Emonda in many stages (if not all) while the Madone is as light, more comfortable and much 'faster'. Are you smarter than them?

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

kgt wrote:Before you guys accuse me (so boring...) explain first why Contador or Mollema still prefer the Emonda in many stages (if not all) while the Madone is as light, more comfortable and much 'faster'. Are you smarter than them?

Explained that more than once.

53x12

by 53x12

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
53x12 wrote:
jlmcabral wrote:
Lieblingsleguan wrote:Please don't...

You are new and don't understand kgt and his irrational hate and lack of understanding all things aero. For someone that supposedly teaches engineering at the university level to boot.

In the Colnago V2-R Thread, he said he is teaching design which, looking at my experiences with some (not all!) product designers, could explain a lot.

From a previous thread.

kgt wrote:Fortunately I have the experience and education (BTW I teach engineers at a technical university) that allow me to be critical.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

53x12 wrote:
Lieblingsleguan wrote:
53x12 wrote:
jlmcabral wrote:

From a previous thread.

kgt wrote:Fortunately I have the experience and education (BTW I teach engineers at a technical university) that allow me to be critical.

Well, technically, my English teacher also taught engineers at a technical university. :wink:

kgt

by kgt

An answer to my lovely followers:
Engineers are designers too.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kgt wrote:Are you smarter than them?

Absolutely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

I decided to go with the Emonda.
Light bikes are always nicer to ride than heavier ones....plus it's hilly round ere.

I have my Domane SLR Disc if I want to ride a heavy bike :cry:

darnellrm

by darnellrm

kgt wrote:An answer to my lovely followers:

But it seems designers are seldom engineers.

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

I'm an engineer, so I can confirm that this is true. I gather you're not an engineer, but rather pointing out that engineers and industrial designers like you sometimes do similar work.

wwnick

by wwnick

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
moonoi wrote:
wwnick wrote:madone is named after a mountain climb (which we all probably know already), funny that, for an aero bike.
new stem is ugly, imho, maybe you could get a good price on 2017 as it could be on sale.

as far asthtetics, madone=bling, emonda=elegance.

Yeah but Emonda is just an anagram of Madone, so they're both named after the same climb, not funny at all.

wwnick

by wwnick

Geordiepaul wrote:I decided to go with the Emonda.
Light bikes are always nicer to ride than heavier ones....plus it's hilly round ere.

great choice, enjoy your new ride!

kgt

by kgt

youngs_modulus wrote:

I'm an engineer, so I can confirm that this is true. I gather you're not an engineer, but rather pointing out that engineers and industrial designers like you sometimes do similar work.

No, I am not industrial designer. Wrong conclusion.
Anything to contribute to the thread other than guessing my degrees?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Great choice. For WW purposes, you are definitely ahead of the game.

I did dig up this gem. Ryder Hesjedal's Madone 9 from last season weighed in at 7.4kg when equipped with his Aeolus 5 wheels (7.3 w/ Aeolus 3's). Obviously it's using sponsored equipment, but there isn't much room for adding exotic goods to this bike. You can't swap the expander plug, given the proprietary nature of the steerer tube, you can't swap brakes, can't swap seatposts, can't swap most of the components. I've gotten mine to 7.6kg w/ 404 Firecrest clinchers, and I'd love to be able to drop it to 7.5kg, but it doesn't look likely.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ryder-h ... s-gallery/

Delorre

by Delorre

FIJIGabe wrote:

Great choice. For WW purposes, you are definitely ahead of the game.

I did dig up this gem. Ryder Hesjedal's Madone 9 from last season weighed in at 7.4kg when equipped with his Aeolus 5 wheels (7.3 w/ Aeolus 3's). Obviously it's using sponsored equipment, but there isn't much room for adding exotic goods to this bike. You can't swap the expander plug, given the proprietary nature of the steerer tube, you can't swap brakes, can't swap seatposts, can't swap most of the components. I've gotten mine to 7.6kg w/ 404 Firecrest clinchers, and I'd love to be able to drop it to 7.5kg, but it doesn't look likely.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ryder-h ... s-gallery/

A more normal 56 H1, with a 110 of 120 cockpit instead of that monster he is using, speedplays, a lighter saddle (arond 150gr or less) and tune skewers would bring the bike below 7kg with ease. Don't forget that those 180mm SRM crank probably weights a ton also :shock: But I totally agree, you don't by a Madone if you are obsessed with ultra light weight bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com