Trek Madone vs. Trek Emonda decision

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moonoi

by moonoi

wwnick wrote:madone is named after a mountain climb (which we all probably know already), funny that, for an aero bike.
new stem is ugly, imho, maybe you could get a good price on 2017 as it could be on sale.

as far asthtetics, madone=bling, emonda=elegance.

Yeah but Emonda is just an anagram of Madone, so they're both named after the same climb, not funny at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

moonoi wrote:
wwnick wrote:madone is named after a mountain climb (which we all probably know already), funny that, for an aero bike.
new stem is ugly, imho, maybe you could get a good price on 2017 as it could be on sale.

as far asthtetics, madone=bling, emonda=elegance.

Yeah but Emonda is just an anagram of Madone, so they're both named after the same climb, not funny at all.

as well as Domane...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

kgt wrote:+1
Emonda is obviously the "pure race machine". The 19 watts advantage calculations are only good for Trek's marketing department, not the racing team.

Just out of curiousity, have you ever ridden an aero bike and tracked power?

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

justkeepedaling wrote:
Emonda is obviously the "pure race machine". The 19 watts advantage calculations are only good for Trek's marketing department, not the racing team.

Please don't...

jlmcabral

by jlmcabral

Lieblingsleguan wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:

Please don't...

Why do you say that? I'm actualy curious now about this topic

53x12

by 53x12

jlmcabral wrote:
Lieblingsleguan wrote:
justkeepedaling wrote:

Please don't...

Why do you say that? I'm actualy curious now about this topic

You are new and don't understand kgt and his irrational hate and lack of understanding all things aero. For someone that supposedly teaches engineering at the university level to boot.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Before the conversation gets derailed, I'll just chime in: unless you're doing really hilly climbs, I'd go for the Madone. That being said, here are the knocks:

The brakes are a bear to set up. I built my bike up, myself, and this took longer than routing the cables through the frame (thank God for the liners!)
It is heavy. Like, really heavy. Like, heavier than my previous Madone 5 (all the parts that could be transferred, were transferred over from that frame - so it is an apples-to-apples comparison).

Here are the positives:

It is incredibly comfortable. Much more so than my Madone 5. I haven't tried a full century on it, but metrics are a walk in the park.
It turns heads, and you'll get a lot of questions - if you're into that.
Once you know what you're doing, the maintenance work isn't all that hard. There is a steep learning curve, however (it took me 12 hours to set it up, initially, but changing cables, recently, took me no longer than my Madone 5 (faster, actually).

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

On the climb vs non-climbing topic, I find it really interesting that the Trek team uses the Emonda bikes on climbs when both bikes weigh in the same (at the UCI limit). One of the announcers during the TdF made that point, and I couldn't figure out WHY, unless the bike positioning is more favorable for steep climbs, marketing pressure from Trek, or both? Any insights?

JScycle

by JScycle

Dagger9903 wrote:On the climb vs non-climbing topic, I find it really interesting that the Trek team uses the Emonda bikes on climbs when both bikes weigh in the same (at the UCI limit). One of the announcers during the TdF made that point, and I couldn't figure out WHY, unless the bike positioning is more favorable for steep climbs, marketing pressure from Trek, or both? Any insights?

That is a very interesting point. Could it be that with team sponsors Trek can't get the Madone to 6.8kg?

Dagger9903

by Dagger9903

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but the announcer on TV said straight out that both the Emonda and Madone bikes that Trek were using for the race, and were at the disposal of the riders, came in at the 6.8kg. The announcer then went on to say that so-so (can't remember which rider they were talking about) had chosen to use the Emonda for that particular climbing stage.

JScycle wrote:
Dagger9903 wrote:On the climb vs non-climbing topic, I find it really interesting that the Trek team uses the Emonda bikes on climbs when both bikes weigh in the same (at the UCI limit). One of the announcers during the TdF made that point, and I couldn't figure out WHY, unless the bike positioning is more favorable for steep climbs, marketing pressure from Trek, or both? Any insights?

That is a very interesting point. Could it be that with team sponsors Trek can't get the Madone to 6.8kg?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Whichever broadcaster you were listening to doesn't have a clue. You almost never see the Madone at the UCI weight limit, and it's almost always in the mid to high 7.x kg range. There are other factors to consider too, like how poorly the frame deals with crosswinds on descents.

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/vi ... rek-madone 7.4kg

http://www.velonews.com/2016/02/gallery ... rsl_395062 7.59kg

There's a few smaller pros' Madones that get around 7.3kg with sponsored components, but that seems to be the realistic lower bound.

JScycle

by JScycle

TobinHatesYou wrote:Whichever broadcaster you were listening to doesn't have a clue. You almost never see the Madone at the UCI weight limit, and it's almost always in the mid to high 7.x kg range. There are other factors to consider too, like how poorly the frame deals with crosswinds on descents.

https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/vi ... rek-madone 7.4kg

http://www.velonews.com/2016/02/gallery ... rsl_395062 7.59kg

There's a few smaller pros' Madones that get around 7.3kg with sponsored components, but that seems to be the realistic lower bound.

I have seen the Madone down to 6.8kg but that was with some boutique wheels (AX lightness if I recall) and a small frame.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JScycle wrote:I have seen the Madone down to 6.8kg but that was with some boutique wheels (AX lightness if I recall) and a small frame.

Yeah I was speaking within the bounds of the pro peloton. A 56cm Madone module weighs about .9kg more than a 56cm Emonda frameset plus brakes. We know an Emonda can get down to 4.5kg with some exotic parts, so a Madone can get to 5.4kg...
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

JScycle

by JScycle

TobinHatesYou wrote:
JScycle wrote:I have seen the Madone down to 6.8kg but that was with some boutique wheels (AX lightness if I recall) and a small frame.

Yeah I was speaking within the bounds of the pro peloton. A 56cm Madone module weighs about .9kg more than a 56cm Emonda frameset plus brakes. We know an Emonda can get down to 4.5kg with some exotic parts, so a Madone can get to 5.6kg...

Yeh I totally understand you.
Does that Madone module include the handlebar and stem? If it does wouldn't the difference be closer to around 400-500g due to the weight of the bars and stem on the Emonda

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I have an aero bike now and I won't go back to a climbing bike anymore. The weight penalty is roughly 400 grams. Also keep in mind that what goes up must also come down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com