Campagnolo EPS installation on Colnago C60 frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

torinb

by torinb

Hi. I have just purchased the Campagnolo Record EPS V3 upgrade kit, and wil start installing it soon. My frame is prepared for both electronic and mechanical drivetrains, and I am currently running Record mechanical.

This will be my first installation of electronic drivetrains.

Does anyone have tips, tricks, pitfalls etc which can do my job easier and make the solution look neater (especially in the cockpit area)?

Tor-Inge

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

torinb wrote:Hi. I have just purchased the Campagnolo Record EPS V3 upgrade kit, and wil start installing it soon. My frame is prepared for both electronic and mechanical drivetrains, and I am currently running Record mechanical.

This will be my first installation of electronic drivetrains.

Does anyone have tips, tricks, pitfalls etc which can do my job easier and make the solution look neater (especially in the cockpit area)?

Tor-Inge

My tip would be to take it to a shop with experienced mechanics...

:smartass: :smartass: :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

torinb

by torinb

Good tip, but I prefer to do it myself. For over 10 years i have built and maintained my own bikes with mechanical Campagnolo. I have never had the need to take it to a shop/mechanic. So i really want to do it myself to learn to maintain it after it is installed :-)

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Do you have the cable guide magnets? These make routing the wires a breeze, especially through the chainstay.

The only other thing I can think of is to remember to fit the cable protection BB adapter sleeve before installing the cups. I know someone who forgot this (and no, it wasn't me!)

torinb

by torinb

Thanks Mockenrue. Maybe i should buy the guide magnets. I have normally just used some thread and a vaacum cleaner to get the thread through the frame. And then just pulled the wire back using the thread. not sure if this would work on a EPS wire though.

corky

by corky

Made mine using old gear cable and small magnets held on with tape...... worked on 2 bikes so far

Madone69

by Madone69

torinb wrote:Thanks Mockenrue. Maybe i should buy the guide magnets. I have normally just used some thread and a vaacum cleaner to get the thread through the frame. And then just pulled the wire back using the thread. not sure if this would work on a EPS wire though.

yep...should work just fine...the kit is over kill imo

nismosr

by nismosr

no tricks at all just a straight install,just like everyone, I made my own cable guide with brake cable and magnet glued and shrink wrapped it. on the V3 I mounted the battery on the seatpost with the 32mm adapter. good luck and have fun .
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

fobtions

by fobtions

i used the park tool internal cable magnet set.

you will probably end up pulling and refeeding the cables to make it perfect , so the choice is yours.

I suggest getting some shrink wrap tubing so that you can bundle up the eps wires at the cockpit with the brake cables.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I've done several EPS installs, two of my own and a couple for friends. After the first, super straight forward. The first time I did it, I watched the Campy videos on their website and found them very helpful. I try to be a measure twice (or three times) cut once type...

audiojan

by audiojan

Installing EPS in any frame made for electronic shifting is actually quite easy... the only challenge you might run in to (although with the C60, I doubt it...) is the hole diameter for the EPS is larger than for Di2 so it might be a tight fit. Second challenge (with v2 EPS) is where to place the charge port (again, being a bit creative, I'm certain you can find a spot... on my road bike (Pinarello F8) it's a breeze as you can just use the threaded port on the front in, on my tri bike (BMC TM01), I left it inside the frame as you have an access into the seat tube behind the back wheel, on my wife's tri bike (Ventum One), I got an extension cable and left the charge port right behind the stem, and on her road bike (Parlee Z5 SLi), I opened up the drain hole slight and fit it in that).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I've done a few also (including 2 C60s).
1. The location of the interface is up to you. I put mine on the brake cable.
2. Many people need to enlarge the hole for the interface plug. A file or a dremel tool will do. The problem is just a little excess paint.
3. The noise from the wire in the downtube drove my crazy. So, I put some foam tubing around it. You need to take the fork out to do this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DMI-Tube-Foam-S ... SwWnFV8bzJ
4. Zero setting the rear is easier with the chain off. You can line the jockey wheel with the cog.
5. Getting the front derailleur perfect is the hard part. My method is to mount the derailleur without the chain. Set the height. Use Zero-Setting and move the outer cage above the outside chainring. Hold a popsicle stick against the chainring, and rotate to crank to pass it back and forth past the derailleur cage. Set the outer cage so that it is parallel to the chainring. Mount the chain, and zero-set the front again. This works better than the Campy tool.

Miller

by Miller

Read the Campag EPS user guides and watch the vids as referenced above. EPS is then straightforward.

evan326

by evan326

Somebody give joeyb1000 a high five

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

torinb

by torinb

Wow. Really great feedback in the posts above. Thanks a lot! ☺
I will start installing tomorrow evening. I expect to run into a few issues, but I think your tips will save me time and bother.