Campagnolo Super Record chainrings replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I have the opposite on my bike. I tend to spin the legs and I am usually fairly good climber - also the climbs around my area arent as steep. For this reason I opted for 52/39 and this can be felt during shifting from big chainring to smaller chainring. Sometimes when I am in the lower part of cassette the chain seems to be stack between the chainrings and dont want to engage on the small chainring.

It is funny because I specifically asked about this the Campagnolo Distributor/Sales point and they made them custom made for me. And hasn't mentioned anything about a non-compatible combination...

Shmitt

by Shmitt

graeme_f_k wrote:50/34 doesn't work anything like as well - tooth timings are out relative to the ramping / pinning so you are essentially back to the kind of front shift you had pre-ramps, with just pins. We have run it with stock rings on the pro teams as an experiment - got a thumbs-down from the pros. The second problem is the overall depth of the cage. If you are running 12-29 you'll find that fully cross-chained, dpending on seat angle and BB drop, you may and may not be able to avoid the chain hitting the inside top of the cage in big to big whilst clearing the rear bridge on small to small, or vice versa.

So if combination 52/34 (50/34 is of course mistake) is a problematic situation, what can You write about other combination 52/39? The shifting performance will also compromise?
Or I just have to stick with the fabric combinations 50/34, 52/36, 53/39...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Shmitt wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 am
graeme_f_k wrote: 50/34 doesn't work anything like as well - tooth timings are out relative to the ramping / pinning so you are essentially back to the kind of front shift you had pre-ramps, with just pins. We have run it with stock rings on the pro teams as an experiment - got a thumbs-down from the pros. The second problem is the overall depth of the cage. If you are running 12-29 you'll find that fully cross-chained, dpending on seat angle and BB drop, you may and may not be able to avoid the chain hitting the inside top of the cage in big to big whilst clearing the rear bridge on small to small, or vice versa.
So if combination 52/34 (50/34 is of course mistake) is a problematic situation, what can You write about other combination 52/39? The shifting performance will also compromise?
Or I just have to stick with the fabric combinations 50/34, 52/36, 53/39...
Oops, should have typed 52/34, sorry chaps! :oops:
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If you buy a BMW M5 dont expect the spares to be cheap. Likewise when you buy Campagnolo super record which is top end bike kit like an M5 dont expect the spares to be cheap.

Campagnolo have to stock the spares and make them available worldwide. This actually costs money. spares are where OEM (bicycle, cars e.t.c) make money, they have to warehouses are not cheap. Add to that Campagnolo like other OEM have to make money. One stragegy is to make less on the components but more on the spares. That might be what Campagnolo are doing but I also expect the demand for chainring bolts to be low given how long campagnolo chainrings last so what stock they have sits around for a long time and that does cost money.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

chorus is an M535d still not cheap.

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive just bought a new set of FC-SR300 chainring bolts because apparently changing them is the correct proceedure, when changing rings. There is no sign of any thread lock on them at all. I'm assuming I install as is?