Sram hydro etap + hydro R brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

notaero

by notaero

Hi all, i have done some searching to no avail in regards to compatibility between hydro R - rim brakes and etap hydro.
I understand there has been a change to the disc brake caliper to allow adjustment of contact point, perhaps something mechanical added to the caliper. Does this then invalidate the use of hydro rim brakes with the etap hydro shifters?
Input is appreciated, cheers.

motorapido

by motorapido

Having played around with HydroR rim and Disc brakes, i can confirm that the lever/shifters on the mechanical version are the same.
Although i've ditched the Sram shift mechanisms on mine and grafted on the Shimano Di2 levers, so i have electronic Hydro Rim and Disc with the same lever/ hoods on 3 bikes.

The Etap lever assembly is significantly different in its basic layout to the mechanical version, but in theory the contact point adjustment is the disc brake equivalent to the pad adjuster on the HydroR rim callipers,
it basically changes the internal volume of the fluid system to advance the pads slightly, thereby altering the point they will contact the disc without altering the brake levers initial/start position.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com