Saddle Position while using Clip-on TT bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I just got my first clip-on aero bars for my road bike. From what I understand I will likely need to move my saddle higher and forward while using the aero bars. I am looking for hints to help me dial in my fit for this position. Are there any rules of thumb or a good starting point? I can't justify a fit this season as I'm not racing but maybe before next race season.

I will probably end up using a second seatpost and saddle to make switching setups quickly. I've also got a setback seatpost that can be reversed if necessary. It'll look weird but if it fits better then I'm all for it.

David

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

It depends, if you can ride a tight hip angle you might not have to change that much.

You don't have to go very low on the front, having the back horizontal is optimal. You'll need a few rides to find a position you can hold.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Oh, and shop windows and friends with phone cameras (video!) can be very helpful

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Marin wrote:It depends, if you can ride a tight hip angle you might not have to change that much.

You don't have to go very low on the front, having the back horizontal is optimal. You'll need a few rides to find a position you can hold.

Not necessarily. There are many more fast TT'ers without a flat back than there are with them. There's so many more factors in play. Tall and narrow works too.

One of the main problems with sticking a set of clip-ons on a road bike, is that you just cant get the required drop, and end up looking like an inquisitive meerkat. You'd be better off learning to ride hard in the drops, old skool.

Personally, i'd get a profile fast forward type seatpost if possible, and another saddle, and change it wholesale rather than messing around with your normal set up. You shouldnt have to raise the saddle height, maybe even think about lowering it a few mm.
Then work on reach and bar height. I used to use some Cinelli Kornas on a road bike, and found to get a decent position, i had to junk the armrests, and use pipe lagging taped on the top of my normal bars.
Official cafe stop tester