Carbon Stem Supporters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Look595

by Look595

I know that many a times, people favor the stem made from alloy more than carbon. I am keen to know how many here actually tried and support the use of a carbon stem. Do you find it better as in stiffness/weight/absorb more buzz from uneven road?

I just recently switched over from 3T Arx Team Stealth to 3T Arx Ltd carbon stem and i instantly can feel a different to the bike handling and buzz from the uneven roads. I do know that people also say that tire pressure or wider tires play a bigger role in these but i would love to keep everything the same and just by switching the stem to see what's the stem did to the overall feel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

How is the carbon stem different what do you feel ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I feel safer with carbon integrated bars+stem compared to alloy stem and carbon bars. It's too easy to damage the bars clamping area I've noticed. Including screws just 250gr, not bad. 40-50usd.

/a

Look595

by Look595

KarlC wrote:How is the carbon stem different what do you feel ?

The first thing i feel is that on the same route i frequently ride on, those area that i feel alot of road buzz felt more smooth now. All i did was change the stem from alloy to carbon and nothing else.

silvalis

by silvalis

Now do a blind test
Chasse patate

Look595

by Look595

silvalis wrote:Now do a blind test

I did something sort of like a blind test as i have switched back the alloy to double confirm my results. I would say maybe the effect is very small as compared to other parts but it still does control the road buzz better than alloy stem. Small effect is better than no effect for me and also i find that going long distances, this helps even more as a little bit of comfort goes a long way down the road if i am having a ride of more than 100miles

1415chris

by 1415chris

I've been using 3T Ltd for couple of seasons. After changing to aluminium stem, with the other components remaining the same, I didn't notice any differences.

morganb

by morganb

The only one that I've been able to really notice a difference on is the Zipp Sprint stem. It makes a noticeable difference in handling feel on the limit and out of the saddle climbing/sprinting because it is so much stiffer than a standard stem. It isn't light and I don't notice any vibration dampening though.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

tires are soft and squishy
stem is tiny, compact, relatively beefy....... detect a material change in the stem itself? no, i cannot

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

Look595 wrote:I know that many a times, people favor the stem made from alloy more than carbon. I am keen to know how many here actually tried and support the use of a carbon stem. Do you find it better as in stiffness/weight/absorb more buzz from uneven road?

I just recently switched over from 3T Arx Team Stealth to 3T Arx Ltd carbon stem and i instantly can feel a different to the bike handling and buzz from the uneven roads. I do know that people also say that tire pressure or wider tires play a bigger role in these but i would love to keep everything the same and just by switching the stem to see what's the stem did to the overall feel.

After I switched to carbon stem and carbon handlebars I am never doing aluminum again in those two areas. This is why:
Since your hands are always on contact with the handlebars these is a critical area for hand and upper body fatigue.
1st I did the handlebars. I was amazed at the improved level of comfort. Vibration is reduced considerably and your arms feel less beaten up. I got the Thomson handlebar bc they are one of the lightest and they are made of a complete piece. Not like many others at that time (4 years ago) that were put together by pieces and reattached. I saw many of those crack badly on accidents since these attaching points are weaker.
I have been on many accidents and the bars are going strong. In one of those the bar cracked the frame and the bar is still going.
2nd after being so impressed with the handlebars I decided to do the stem. I went with the Easton ec90. The result was dramatic! The cockpit became like butter. So pleasant. And it is stiff. Not as stiff as an full aluminum cockpit but barely noticeable. There is an initial give and after a certain point there is no more. I noticed this at the beginning. After a while it is part of how the bike handles.
With aluminum there was no give. The Aluminum cockpit is harsh and unforgiving. I will only use aluminum in a track bike where the surface is smooth.
I was afraid regarding durability but so far so good. I am a big rider 195-205lbs. I have had many accidents which has resulted in 3 cracked carbon frames. The cockpit has survived 2 of those and no issues in 4 years.
This is the ride. You can't see the Thomson logo but you can see the EC90 stem. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I have been on the 3T equipment for a while now between all the models. The LTD stems are undeniably more stiff and do cut a little road vibration out. However it's stiffness can add a harsh edge to your bike depending on the setup. As an example I had an LTD slammed on a rather stiff frame and wound up having to put the Team model on just to make the ride more comfortable. Either way both good stems and worth noting only a couple grams in between.
Just ride ..

kgt

by kgt

I ride with a Time carbon stem and handlebar set for the last few months and I also feel that it was a considerable upgrade in comparison to anything I had ridden before (alu Ritchey wcs stem - alu wcs bar, carbon superlogic stem - alu wcs bar). For the first time I can feel a combo that it is very stiff and really comfortable at the same time.
Of course the quality of carbon and its way of manufacturing matters as well, all carbon stems and handlebars are not the same.

3Pio

by 3Pio

:)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Zipp, Enve and 3T claimed they made carbon stems due to demand, not performance enhancing.
I have rows of stems, latest is Shimano Pro Sprint. It was sworn to offer vibration damping, haha... loads of BS.
It's stiff i'll give it that (56mm wide bar clamping). But what to expect with a stem of 210 grams at 105mm!
The front lid alone is 48 grams!
Make of it what you want, some alu stems have sharper edges and in some cases this can give marks at carbon bars.

At 14 stems i think i could easily use a 3T alu stem (if we only talk performance).
Some suggestions says a lower stem is stiffer (=not me!).
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Y26

by Y26

I guess one can always try if they can afford it. To each of their own as mind is a tricky thing.