Carbon Stem Supporters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Look595

by Look595

I did not believe that stem will make a difference but since i can get a good deal on the carbon 3T stem and i went for it. Another feeling i can feel from initial ride was that i thought that my tires are not pump up properly as i felt that it is soft, did not feel the usual bumps on the same route i ride on and i can safely say that i am very very familiar with this stretch of road as i did my training 3-4 times a week here.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

It's magic!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Look595

by Look595

Calnago wrote:It's magic!

I still believe that maybe it does helps slightly but regards to the price for carbon stem, it might not be worth to get it. At first i bought it thinking of adding some blings only but was really surprised that it does helps to lessen the buzz slightly, i would like to point out that the route might not be the most uneven roads around but it have quite a few road humps to slow the cars down thus i can feel lessen buzz when riding through those.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Perhaps it lessens the "buzz". I don't know. I just think most of the carbon stems are ugly compared to their aluminum counterparts. As for bars, I have used a lot of gel pads like the fizik stuff underneath the rather thin bartape. Now there are lots of tapes with good cushion in them and I find I don't need the gel anymore. I use aluminum bars as well. Heavier but I found that light carbon bars simply flex too much.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Look595

by Look595

Calnago wrote:Perhaps it lessens the "buzz". I don't know. I just think most of the carbon stems are ugly compared to their aluminum counterparts. As for bars, I have used a lot of gel pads like the fizik stuff underneath the rather thin bartape. Now there are lots of tapes with good cushion in them and I find I don't need the gel anymore. I use aluminum bars as well. Heavier but I found that light carbon bars simply flex too much.

Perhaps the flex helps to lessen the buzz i think.. some friends like stiff and really stiff cockpit whereas some people might prefer some flex in it. i think i am just a casual rider myself thus i prefer some flex in my bike. so far i am still in love with my bike that i am not looking to get newer bikes, at some point i wanted to get a new aero bike but my old look 595 still does the job well, ride smoothly and comfortable whereas the newer bikes i just feel that although it is faster but it is abit "unforgiving" to the rider especially over long distance riding.

nickf

by nickf

Been on both and really they feel the same. Maybe i'm just not sensitive enough to notice a difference. Just took off my uno stem and replaced with it with a extralite hyperstem and well it feels the same. I don't feel any noticeable "flex". I have a MCFK carbon stem i'm going to be using on a upcoming build, i just like the way it looks, wieght, and how it clamps. According to fairwheel bikes its a good amount stiffer then the hyperstem, so ill find out soon enough. But i just don't think a 100mm tube is going to flex that much no matter the material. Road buzz, no such thing. Running tubulars at 85psi, doesn't get much smoother then that no matter the bar and stem you running.

kgt

by kgt

A high quality carbon handlebar will definitely dissipate vibrations much better than any alu bar. A carbon stem (a real one, not a carbon wrapped alu stem) may add to this but just slightly.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

It's definitely worth noting that there are absolutely discernible differences between carbon stems and their interactions with particular frames. And there are some I suspect that definitely soften the ride up.

But as I said earlier, my carbon LTD stem of which I loved with 20mm of stack underneath on a previous Felt frame - absolutely could not tolerate on my back on a new aero frame, slammed. I suspect if I had 20-30mm of spacers beneath it would feel a bit nicer. But replacing it with an aluminum stem made the front end bearable.
Just ride ..

bilwit

by bilwit

kgt wrote:A high quality carbon handlebar will definitely dissipate vibrations much better than any alu bar. A carbon stem (a real one, not a carbon wrapped alu stem) may add to this but just slightly.

I used a carbon wrapped aluminum stem (Pro Vibe LTD) for over two years and then switched to an Extralite Hyperstem recently and right off the bat I noticed a harsher ride even with the same carbon fork/carbon handlebars. Not sure if it's because of how light the Hyperstem is in comparison (like a 35g difference) or if it's due to the material properties alone.

itsacarr wrote:It's definitely worth noting that there are absolutely discernible differences between carbon stems and their interactions with particular frames. And there are some I suspect that definitely soften the ride up.

This is also a good point. If you have a standard round tube steel frame, the vibrations you feel through the stem/handlebars will be more pronounced than if you had a carbon frame, so the subtleties between which stem/bar combination you try will be feel more noticeable than on a different frame.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

I know that many a times, people favor the stem made from alloy more than carbon. I am keen to know how many here actually tried and support the use of a carbon stem. Do you find it better as in stiffness/weight/absorb more buzz from uneven road?

In my experience, I don't think it really matters a great deal. There is absolutely no difference in comfort (handlebars yes) and no ascertainable different in stiffness, your handlebars/bar tape direct most of the energy off of the road to your arms, so those are going to have a larger impact than the stem itself.

romalor

by romalor

bought a used enve stem in 120 mm but it seems only 5 mm longer than my FSA alloy 110 mm
Bought it second hand in good overall condition for 60 € , so cheap
It weight 129 gr with the titanium screws provided.

It *f##k* stiff as hell but less vibrations are felt than with my alloy one.
I know I am sensible to settings , tubular tires pressure that sort of things