GXP Bottom Bracket Assistance.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Y26

by Y26

Hi All,

Planning to get Quarq Dzero power meter for my BSA threaded frame and wondering if you have a suggestion regarding about which GXP bottom bracket to go for in year 2017.

Would the stock Sram GXP bb be good enough like the Shimano bb? (Ie. 9100 bb is about $40.) or one better spend more when using GXP crankset as my reading in the forum pointed to oem gxp bb needs to be replace quite often?

Thank you for your help in advance.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Stock is fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

I can't compare to other bottom brackets, but this one I have from Wheels MFG is fine after 6 months and 6000km in all weather conditions. It weights 105 grams. The Quarq Dzero is great btw!

Y26

by Y26

kkibbler wrote:Stock is fine.

like the SRAM GXP bb that you are referring to? Sorry but I am not familiar with SRAM goodies and only venture this way to use the Quarq dzero pm system.

Y26

by Y26

DutchMountains wrote:I can't compare to other bottom brackets, but this one I have from Wheels MFG is fine after 6 months and 6000km in all weather conditions. It weights 105 grams. The Quarq Dzero is great btw!

Thank you for the tips. Did you ride out in pouring rain condition more than few hours? The weather here in north west is.... :wink:

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

I've been lucky so far with the weather. I only remember two rides with about two hours of strong rain (each) and one ride with over four hours of rain. Usually it's just showers, 10-15 minutes of rain, half an hour of dryness, more rain etc. And maybe I should mention I run full fenders on this bike, so the bottom bracket gets less spray than usual.

Y26

by Y26

DutchMountains wrote:I've been lucky so far with the weather. I only remember two rides with about two hours of strong rain (each) and one ride with over four hours of rain. Usually it's just showers, 10-15 minutes of rain, half an hour of dryness, more rain etc. And maybe I should mention I run full fenders on this bike, so the bottom bracket gets less spray than usual.

Thank you DutchMountains. I will certainly look into that option.

Cheers.

c60rider

by c60rider

I've run a quarq sram red between two bikes with stock gxp bb's in each. 4 years on and I can't imagine how many thousands of miles they're still both smooth and no need to change them. They're fairly cheap so go with that in my experience.

nickf

by nickf

I'm a big fan of hawk racing bb's.

Y26

by Y26

Thanks all. I will go cheap first w/ Sram Team at 22 bucks.. Can't go wrong with that so I will have first hand experience later :)

topflightpro

by topflightpro

My Sram GXPs have all lasted plenty long - BSA threaded and PF86.

If you want to do something different, I've been happy with Wheels Mfg angular contact bearings.

Y26

by Y26

topflightpro wrote:My Sram GXPs have all lasted plenty long - BSA threaded and PF86.

If you want to do something different, I've been happy with Wheels Mfg angular contact bearings.

Just for future reference. Topflightpro, did you have both Sram GXP and Wheels Mfg Angular?

If so, how do you compare both?

topflightpro

by topflightpro

We have a BSA GXP on my wife's old Tarmac. That BB is still going strong after about 6 years.

I had a PF86 GXP in my first Argon. It worked fine. I had no issues. When I replaced that frame, I decided to try the Wheels MFG PF86 angular contact BB. I had read they are better. I honestly cannot tell a difference in performance. I probably could have installed the GXP BB into the new frame, but my understanding is those things kind of get messed up a bit when you remove them, and BBs are cheap enough that I just went for a new one with the new frame.

Y26

by Y26

topflightpro wrote:We have a BSA GXP on my wife's old Tarmac. That BB is still going strong after about 6 years.

I had a PF86 GXP in my first Argon. It worked fine. I had no issues. When I replaced that frame, I decided to try the Wheels MFG PF86 angular contact BB. I had read they are better. I honestly cannot tell a difference in performance. I probably could have installed the GXP BB into the new frame, but my understanding is those things kind of get messed up a bit when you remove them, and BBs are cheap enough that I just went for a new one with the new frame.

Thank you for the honest opinion and I may do the same later down the road.

Placebo power is good as I just order AbsoluteBlack oval ring to try.

As long as we get out and ride, our body may be the biggest difference!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com