Frame choice for a climbers bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

robertbb

by robertbb

I'm another who is surprised the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX never made it on this list. Suspect it's because Canyon only recently became available in the USA. It's a killerrr frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

FM066

Light, Cheap. Fits 28mm Tires, no stupid proprietary parts, great geometry, honestly it is one of the best frames ever made regardless of price.

peted76

by peted76

+1 for the TCR Advanced SL, difficult to fault mine, but must admit to not having much experience with the very best frames different companies offer.
Also if you did get a built bike, they are shipping with built in shimano power meter, their wheels SLR0 wheels are a big good also.

tomee

by tomee

bumping this as im in similar situation

ive narrowed the choices down in order of favourite

Colnago V2-r disc
Cannondale super six evo Hi-Mod disc
Trek Emonda SLR disc
Giant TCR advanced SL disc

i think the Trek is the lightest frame going by Google searches. i thought about going full bike but it is about $7k Aus
The advanced SL can be had full bike for $5300 with Di2 and being Giant it'll have excellent warranty support.
I used to own rim braked version of the supersix evo non hi-mod and found it a great ride. frameset by itself is $3.5k
Now the V2-R has anyone ridden one? my only worry is the after sales support if something goes wrong.

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

tomee wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am

Colnago V2-r disc
Trek Emonda SLR disc

i think the Trek is the lightest frame going by Google searches. i thought about going full bike but it is about $7k Aus
The advanced SL can be had full bike for $5300 with Di2 and being Giant it'll have excellent warranty support.
I used to own rim braked version of the supersix evo non hi-mod and found it a great ride. frameset by itself is $3.5k
Now the V2-R has anyone ridden one? my only worry is the after sales support if something goes wrong.
Out of those 4 I don't think you'll find better value than the Giant. Largely based on price/value I went for an Advanced Pro 0 Disc and definitely love the bike. I have no doubts the SL would be fantastic.
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

Finx

by Finx

Canyon Ultimate EVO ?

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Another vote for the Fuji SL Elite.

tomee

by tomee

amngwlvs wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Out of those 4 I don't think you'll find better value than the Giant. Largely based on price/value I went for an Advanced Pro 0 Disc and definitely love the bike. I have no doubts the SL would be fantastic.
Yup, Giants have always been best bang for buck. It is also the heaviest. i think a size S frame is around 900 something grams
Finx wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 pm
Canyon Ultimate EVO ?
was looking at Canyon but one thing that bugs me is the 6 year warranty.
i quried about this and they basically spun it that nobody keeps carbon bikes longer than 6 years.

and not many Fuji dealers here in Aus.

DarthKrutall

by DarthKrutall

tomee wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 pm

and not many Fuji dealers here in Aus.
I believe you can contact and buy from the distributer direct https://www.oceaniacycles.com.au and purchase through them
They will then ship to local store near you to collect

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

tomee wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:25 pm
amngwlvs wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Yup, Giants have always been best bang for buck. It is also the heaviest. i think a size S frame is around 900 something grams
Finx wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:25 pm
Canyon Ultimate EVO ?
The TCR SL is "heavy" due to the built in ISP. The ISP most likely is around 150-170 grams. My size small TCR SL is 13.2-LBS with 1250 gram DT Swiss clincher wheels, Dura Ace 9150, and EE brakes.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

jlok

by jlok

tomee wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am

Colnago V2-r disc
Trek Emonda SLR disc

+1 to TCR Adv SL Disc. It climbs so well, very lively ride. My TCR was size S paired with Roval CLX32/50.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

tomee

by tomee

KaiLingMan64 wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:10 am
What about a Canyon Ultimate? Not super lightweight (780g for the frame, can't remember the weight of the fork)
Maybe even the Endurace, a little more comfort and virtually the same weight.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
What size?
Website claims 820g for the SLX and 920 for the SL

Jlok: what was your bike weight in the small?

robertbb

by robertbb

KaiLingMan64 wrote:
What about a Canyon Ultimate? Not super lightweight (780g for the frame, can't remember the weight of the fork)

Fork is 324g including the nut (rim brake model). My (small) frame came in at 782g, including hangers. Add 37g for headset bearings.

2old4this

by 2old4this

tomee wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 am
KaiLingMan64 wrote:

What size?

Maybe tomee meant "ultimate cf evo". The Canyon website claims 665 gr for the frame (I think size M) and 290 gr for the fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robertbb

by robertbb

2old4this wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:52 am
tomee wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:38 am
KaiLingMan64 wrote:

What size?

Maybe tomee meant "ultimate cf evo". The Canyon website claims 665 gr for the frame (I think size M) and 290 gr for the fork.
So this has me thinking a little bit about Canyon and Trek - given both are made by Quest Composites.

Trek's Emonda SLR frame weighs 640g.
Canyon's Ultimate CF SLX *EVO* weighs mid-sixes as well.

So you'd assume they're using the same whizzbang carbon and pretty similar methods of construction.

I'm curious to know actual measured weight of an Emonda SL in size 54, and how that compares to Canyon's non-Evo Ultimate SLX...