2018 Fuji SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Drpoomanchu

by Drpoomanchu

The SL only is available with standard brakes as far as I know. I own the 2018 SL but have yet to complete the build. Still debating on the groupset. I ride a 2012 Fuji Altamira D6 carbon FC330 forks. at the moment and love the bike. Its plenty stiff for me and im 198lbs. 56cm frame. The SL is stiffer than mine while shedding some frame weight. I also bought from the same shop as you mentioned in Indiana. I dealt with Steve and he is just fantastic. I will definitely return to them in the future. There was a preorder special on the frameset in July and i took advantage of it. The SL is very similar in geometry to the Altamira. I will continue to buy Fuji as long as their value to quality remains high. I posted pics in the introduction section of the forum. Will post weight when i get around to it.

Drpoomanchu

by Drpoomanchu

Here are a few pics, i will try to post weights and a few more pics this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hamfist

by Hamfist

Nice! Keep us posted on the build. I just switched from 9000 mechanical to 9150 Di2 and couldn't be happier.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I was so tempted by the SL and was gonna build it with shallow wheels and the lightest handlebar I could find. Instead I went with the Transonic, 50mm wheels, and an Easton aero handlebar (also the aero seatpost it comes with). I settled on that when I realized I could still get it under 15lbs (6.66kg to be exact) and get some aero benefit. At the time I calculated that the SL build would be about 1.5lbs lighter. Does that sound right? If all else is equal (ride quality, pedalling stiffness) would you take the 1.5lbs or the aero?

I wonder why the pros choose the light frame instead of the aero frame when I'd have to add weight to my 61cm bike to get it legal. Is the power meter adding that much weight to their bikes or are they having to hide lead in the downtube to bring what should be a 13ish pound bike up to 15lbs?

Hamfist

by Hamfist

I've never weighed mine so really don't know. I will say that I'm not really into aero frames so that pretty much decides it for me.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Lelandjt wrote:I was so tempted by the SL and was gonna build it with shallow wheels and the lightest handlebar I could find. Instead I went with the Transonic, 50mm wheels, and an Easton aero handlebar (also the aero seatpost it comes with). I settled on that when I realized I could still get it under 15lbs (6.66kg to be exact) and get some aero benefit. At the time I calculated that the SL build would be about 1.5lbs lighter. Does that sound right? If all else is equal (ride quality, pedalling stiffness) would you take the 1.5lbs or the aero?

I wonder why the pros choose the light frame instead of the aero frame when I'd have to add weight to my 61cm bike to get it legal. Is the power meter adding that much weight to their bikes or are they having to hide lead in the downtube to bring what should be a 13ish pound bike up to 15lbs?

In a road race where you can draft an aero bike isn't going to make much difference. They def want to get as light as they can get. There was a mechanic at the Tour this year saying that if the riders didn't have sponsor commitments almost all of them would be on mechanical groupsets vs di2 just because of weight.

Drpoomanchu

by Drpoomanchu

Hamfist wrote:Nice! Keep us posted on the build. I just switched from 9000 mechanical to 9150 Di2 and couldn't be happier.

I have been debating on etap, red 22 mech, 9100 and 9150 but the SL is a PF30 bb and feel like i should use a 30mm spindle vs 24mm. I am currently riding Ultegra 6800 bb86 and have liked it thus far.
I have thought about etap with a rotor 3d+ or Sram crank. The bars, stem, seat, seatpost, wheels are all sorted.
How is install of di2..? Just seems like allot of hooplah with wires and sensors to hide. Is the battery compatible with all seatposts..? I am looking to purchase the Hope Carbon seatpost.

Hamfist

by Hamfist

Drpoomanchu wrote:
Hamfist wrote:Nice! Keep us posted on the build. I just switched from 9000 mechanical to 9150 Di2 and couldn't be happier.

I have been debating on etap, red 22 mech, 9100 and 9150 but the SL is a PF30 bb and feel like i should use a 30mm spindle vs 24mm. I am currently riding Ultegra 6800 bb86 and have liked it thus far.
I have thought about etap with a rotor 3d+ or Sram crank. The bars, stem, seat, seatpost, wheels are all sorted.
How is install of di2..? Just seems like allot of hooplah with wires and sensors to hide. Is the battery compatible with all seatposts..? I am looking to purchase the Hope Carbon seatpost.

Wheels mfg pf30 out bb for 24mm spindles. Best bb you'll find. Have them on all my bikes.

Once I read the di2 manual a few times the install is pretty easy. Typical Shimano. Unbelievable performance. Light years ahead of anything sram could design.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Thenuge wrote:
Lelandjt wrote:I was so tempted by the SL and was gonna build it with shallow wheels and the lightest handlebar I could find. Instead I went with the Transonic, 50mm wheels, and an Easton aero handlebar (also the aero seatpost it comes with). I settled on that when I realized I could still get it under 15lbs (6.66kg to be exact) and get some aero benefit. At the time I calculated that the SL build would be about 1.5lbs lighter. Does that sound right? If all else is equal (ride quality, pedalling stiffness) would you take the 1.5lbs or the aero?

In a road race where you can draft an aero bike isn't going to make much difference. They def want to get as light as they can get. There was a mechanic at the Tour this year saying that if the riders didn't have sponsor commitments almost all of them would be on mechanical groupsets vs di2 just because of weight.

They may want to have a lighter bike but the rules limit them to 6.8kg which is easy to hit with an aero bike and with the SL frameset I'd expect them to need a powermeter, Ultegra cassette, alloy handlebar, and probably some other stuff to get up to weight.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Lelandjt wrote:
Thenuge wrote:

They may want to have a lighter bike but the rules limit them to 6.8kg which is easy to hit with an aero bike and with the SL frameset I'd expect them to need a powermeter, Ultegra cassette, alloy handlebar, and probably some other stuff to get up to weight.

That is a myth. Watch some pro bike videos on YouTube. Most pro aerobikes come in at 7 to 7.6kg. They are all running PMs, often tall rims, get the Velon transmitter thingy at the Tour which adds another 200g. The adding weight thing is only true for superlight frames of not too tall riders.

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Anyone else not very impressed with the lack of model options within the Fuji lineup for 2018?

I'm severely disappointed.

Hamfist

by Hamfist

BigPoser wrote:Anyone else not very impressed with the lack of model options within the Fuji lineup for 2018?

I'm severely disappointed.

In what way?

Nihilist

by Nihilist

So, doesn't the 2018 Fuji Elite frameset black and gold come in at about 150 grams under the Fuji Sl (black and red)? http://www.fujibikes.com/sl/index.php/m ... age-models.

Hamfist

by Hamfist

That's what it says but why would that be?

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Nihilist wrote:So, doesn't the 2018 Fuji Elite frameset black and gold come in at about 150 grams under the Fuji Sl (black and red)? http://www.fujibikes.com/sl/index.php/m ... age-models.

Probably because the red and black frameset is disc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com