Front shift quality - SR11 derailleur and other crank

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

silvalis

by silvalis

Planning a new build, my requirements are:
1) currently own SR11 '15 derailleurs.
2) Do not have a crank. bb86.
3) Upgrade path with a PM

Can anyone comment on the front shift quality, with the SR11 derailleurs on the following, vs shift quality on a 4-arm campy chainring (eg, chorus)?

1) Quarq dzero pm/ hiddenbolt sram rings ( I already have force22 rings)
2) quarq dzero with non-hb rings (praxis? wickwerks? other?)
3) Just get a chorus crank then get either p1 pedals or a stages crank.
4) other?

Rotor 2INpower, p2m, srm work out significantly more $ in aus, so unless they aren't high on my list.
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would really try to stick with the Campy chain rings, especially if everything else is 2015+, assuming the levers are as well.

Of the options you list, I'd go with the third, Chorus crank and a Stages PM.

But... if you could swing it, the SRM Campy PM is the sweetest, cleanest, and arguably most bulletproof PM for Campy out there. It's pricey for sure, but buy it once, and you'll never be wishing you'd have gotten something else.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

silvalis

by silvalis

I honestly can't see the value in an SRM campy pm.
Down here it's over 1k aud over the price of a P2m, and while the battery life is 5x of everyone else, it just irks me that it isn't user serviceable.
Chasse patate

RyanH

by RyanH

I've been using 2015+ SR with Cannondale OPI SpideRing, SRAM Force 10s and Praxis Buzz. Shifting was the best with the SpideRing, it was instantaneous. With the Force and Praxis they seem to be on pair with each other but the shifting action isn't as smooth. It's still better than Red FD though.

c60rider

by c60rider

4 years ago I had this dilemma when purchasing my first power meter to work with a Campag drive train. The only campag option was SRM with P2M a bit of an unknown quantity. I ended up going for the Quarq sram red 10 speed crank PM working with Super record 11 speed mainly for the price being under £1000 including chainrings so 1/3 the price of an SRM. I've since bought my dream bike of a C60 with super record and bought a P2M NG campag power meter.

Comparing the two obviously the P2M works seamlessly with it being campag rings. The only thing with the Quarq is I just have to momentarily light pedal to change to the big ring, which is only what I tend to do anyway, and then very occasionally knocking it down onto the small ring when I was on the bigger sprockets (25 or 23) it would occasionally come straight off the small ring. A chain catcher solved this and I have no problems at all.

Personally if price is the issue I would go with the Dzero as for me it would work out around £150 cheaper but when you're spending that much you may as well pay the little bit extra to get the Campag chainrings and complete the groupset therefore the stages is probably the best bet and the one I would go for.

silvalis

by silvalis

hmmm, I was working under the assumption that you had to order a p2m NG with the campy cranks they supply. I noticed just then the campy cranks are an optional purchase.

Can you fit the p2m ng spider onto any of the carbon 4-arm campy cranks? Or calibrated only for the p2m supplied arms?
This might be better than the stages route...
Chasse patate

c60rider

by c60rider

Campag make special crank arms for both P2M and SRM, which are separate to the spider, so the standard chainset is redundant apart from the chainrings if you have those already.

silvalis

by silvalis

Yep. I just realised that was a pretty dumb question. Its a spider not a chainring like powertap.
Chasse patate

c60rider

by c60rider

Not at all it's very confusing with power meters especially when buying your first you just want to make the best decision. The P2M that I have is worth every penny I think, with it being recharging, auto-calibrating, temperature sensitive, I can't understand why the SRM is supported so strongly by those that own them, maybe to justify the cost, but there's nothing better that they offer than anything else out there. Once you've got one the figures it provides are consistent for you and the measurements it provides. Chorus stages is the cheapest way to get Campag.

AJS914

by AJS914

The cheapest campagnolo option is probably the Potenza-Pioneer unit.

silvalis

by silvalis

Too bad it's not shinyshinycarbon though.
Chasse patate

c60rider

by c60rider

AJS914 wrote:The cheapest campagnolo option is probably the Potenza-Pioneer unit.

Only they're not actually available to buy as yet, a rather vague "available fall" on their website

boysa

by boysa

I've run Campagnolo SR, Record, and Chorus FD's with a variety of setups, and all have been just as good as the OEM. Some, in fact, have even been better.
1. Quarq w/ Rotor 3D crank and Stronglight rings
2. Quarq Elsa w/ Red crank and Stronglight rings
3. Quarq Elsa w/ Red crank and Praxis Rings
4. P2M with Rotor 3D and Praxis Rings

I know this isn't EXACTLY the info you are looking for, but suffice to say in my experience you can get any setup to work superbly.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

AJS914

by AJS914

According to this link, it seems like the pioneer mail-in kit is available:

http://shopcycle.pioneerelectronics.com ... -meter-kit

At least with the Pioneer, you can buy your own cheap crankset from the UK mail order shops.

moonoi

by moonoi

I had the SRAM Red DZero on my otherwise SR build and had issues with the chain line causing poor shifting and chain rub on the cassette. Ended up selling it and going with SR crank with Stages. All issues were resolved, this is on a C60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com