Tubeless tire questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

silvalis

by silvalis

Last time I bought IRC tyres I got em from Alex cycle in Japan. Not cheap though.
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

Outside Outfitters, here in the US, usually has the best prices on IRC tires. It appears to ship worldwide. If you can't find any in Asia at a good price, it may be worth the time/effort to buy from them, even with international postage.

http://www.outsideoutfitters.com/p-3485 ... OzEALw_wcB

jlok

by jlok

thx guys... but it's almost double the price of pro one... guess I'm not gonna buy until they are retailing here in HK.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I'm probably heading in this direction now. I've tried lower and higher pressures, as a cycling-heavier guy (205(early season) - 190lb (86kg). It never fails, spirited turn into an uphill transition results in a flat. What's the GP4000 equivalent in 25c road tubeless?
I'll be mounting them on DT Swiss R32, which have been great (faster than my 23mm deep wheels, maintenance free). Starting pressures for a 92kg guy? Best goo?

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I just don't personally see the need. I ride 10-12k miles a year on clinchers and some sewups. I get maybe 3-4 flats a year. I just have never seen the need.

-Eddie

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Need: you're squeezing in a lunchtime ride. At mile 8, you have a flat. Your backup tube has a hole that you can't find and you existing tube has a hole you can't find. You've used your two CO2 inflators. The cab is 15 min away. The bike store is a 15min walk. (True story)

WinterRider

by WinterRider

jfranci3 wrote:Need: you're squeezing in a lunchtime ride. At mile 8, you have a flat. Your backup tube has a hole that you can't find and you existing tube has a hole you can't find. You've used your two CO2 inflators. The cab is 15 min away. The bike store is a 15min walk. (True story)

EXACTLY. -----> same. All 3 CO2's in my case.

Tubeless is the future.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

AJS914

by AJS914

That's exactly why I just stick with a Lezyne Mini pump.

Two tubes where you can't find the hole? That seem pretty rare.

boysa

by boysa

+1 on the pump. It's amazing how many people I've ridden with, who having punctured, ask me to borrow my pump. I should charge them!

But seriously, anyone who rides a lot of solo miles would be well served by carrying a pump. Never runs out, enables you to maintain a slow leak in order to make it home (especially with tubulars), and is just frankly convenient.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

justaute

by justaute

As a 93-95kg guy, I've had no issues with any of my tubeless tires as mentioned in my earlier posting. I've mounted all my tires by hand (usually use a towel to minimize slippage). I'm tend to be "harsh" on my tires because I tend to push in cornering and downhill -- went up to about 48 mph (~77kph) on a downhill ride a few times. Love the thrill. :)

As I've never ridden GP4k, I can't give you any comparable. That said, I think Schwalbe Pro One (tried both 25mm & 28mm), IRC RBCC (tried 28mm), and Panaracer Race A EVO3 (tried 25mm only; needs a new name) are all quite good. SPO is the lightest of the bunch, but more prone to cuts -- still good. All three tires are pretty supple. Also, SPO tires tend to be over-sized, where as the other two are just about right or a bit under-sized.

As far as pressure goes, I've done anything from 75 PSI (5.17 bar) to 92 PSI (6.34 bar), depending on tire size, feel, road condition, front/rear tires, etc.

For goo, I have used Stan's and Orange Seal (regular formula). Both have worked, but I prefer Orange Seal.

jfranci3 wrote:I'm probably heading in this direction now. I've tried lower and higher pressures, as a cycling-heavier guy (205(early season) - 190lb (86kg). It never fails, spirited turn into an uphill transition results in a flat. What's the GP4000 equivalent in 25c road tubeless?
I'll be mounting them on DT Swiss R32, which have been great (faster than my 23mm deep wheels, maintenance free). Starting pressures for a 92kg guy? Best goo?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

boysa wrote:+1 on the pump. It's amazing how many people I've ridden with, who having punctured, ask me to borrow my pump. I should charge them!

But seriously, anyone who rides a lot of solo miles would be well served by carrying a pump. Never runs out, enables you to maintain a slow leak in order to make it home (especially with tubulars), and is just frankly convenient.
I'm of this mind as well. With a pump you always have air.

True story: Guy out on a group ride flats with tubeless. Spraying sealant everywhere. Doesn't seal. Stops to fix. Can't get the thing seated properly. Used up all his CO2. Has no spare innertube. Asks for one from someone in the group who obliges. Can't seem to figure out how to get the tubeless valve off so he can insert innertube. Faffing about for some time (nice break for the rest of us). Finally gets innertube stuffed in a gooey sealant filled tire. Has a hell of time mounting with innertube inside. Lots of laughter. Fun times. Switches back to regular clinchers thereafter.

Oh, and in reference to the previous "true story".... how come a backup tube would have a hole in it in the first place? That thing should be a known good tube, either new or repaired. But it should never have a hole in it. I suspect he just wrapped up a used tube he had lying around, not realizing it had a hole in it, and called it his backup. A couple of quickstick patches which take up no space might be good to have a long as well, in case you get 4 flats or something ridiculous like that.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

silvalis

by silvalis

I've had a known good tube develop a hole (cracked on a fold) before. Although it was an exposed tube velcroed to my seat rails on a mtb and had been there for months, through washes, etc, so not exactly surprised.
Chasse patate

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

:lol: Yes, exposed and tied underneath a saddle of a mtn bike for months isn't exactly a "known good tube" at that point. But yes, I suppose there can be manufacturers defects in brand new tubes, but that would be highly abnormal.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

justaute

by justaute

Agree about having a bump. I sometimes have both a CO2 and a hand-pump.

And, that "guy" needs/needed to learn how to remove tubeless valves. Just a part of the regular bike maintenance knowledge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I carry a pump, two tubes, a tire lever, a Rema patch kit, mini tool, a couple glueless patches, and an old piece of tire casing to use as a boot in case of a cut. I've only gotten stuck once in 35 years of cycling and that one time I forgot my seat pack. With modern tires, I hardly ever get flats anymore. I could probably risk it and carry a single extra tube.