Garmin releasing a new Edge computer soon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

Anybody heard any rumors about Garmin releasing a new Edge model soon? I would assume the 1000 would be the next model in the line to be updated. Want to get a new head unit but don't want to find out that Garmin is releasing a new model with features I didn't know I wanted or needed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madik

by madik

1030 is expected to be released during next 2 months.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Does anyone have any pics of the 1030?

Shrike

by Shrike

The big expectation is that Garmin could integrate their camera tech into the headunit.

It's been on the rumour mill for ages, though it's more based on wishes than any information.

I also think it's wholly unrealistic. Yes Garmin do have the tech - their cams are great now - but the battery life will be pants. That's not unsolvable, nor problematic for most people for the obvious reason that people won't always leave the camera on, but I still think it's a pipe dream.

Maybe they'll release two versions, camera and non-camera, and one will have an extra battery pack, with small internal second battery to solve the changeover time issue (which is old tech in other products).

That aside, what exactly would anyone want from the 1000 bar incremental improvements all round?

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Camera integration does make sense, I'm not sure the battery technology of now is up to it though.

I had an Edge 1000 up until recently, TBF, it's a solid computer. There are a few small gripes, battery life, the screen can be sluggish at times, but overall, it's a great computer. I'm now using an 820, and it's virtually the same as the 1000 but with a smaller footprint.

I guess the 1030 is going to have integration with their other products, tighter Strava integration (which is already very good) and lots of other useless features no one uses.

Given it's 1030 and not 1100, I guess any changes will be minimal.

kode54

by kode54

i'm curious about the footprint...since the 820 is much smaller than its predecessor. my 810 is a good size with nice screen size. the 1000 is too large and the 820 a bit small. i'll have to wait to see what they come up with...possibly reducing the 1000 to a larger 820 but smaller, following the same path as the 800 series.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

I personally would like to see them keep the screen the same size but decrease the overall size of the 1000. Longer battery life would be a welcome upgrade as well.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Battery performance is the #1 issue for sure. One thing that does irk me, sometimes the Edge won't be picked up by the Mac (USB cable), and more often than not, WIFI uploads fail (for apparently no reason).

Shrike

by Shrike

Also struggle with the 1000 (and the 520) with the USB connection to the Mac.

jrobart

by jrobart

Drops of sweat send my 1000 into lock screen mode. On one hand it suggests that I may indeed be working hard, on the other hand it is a pain in the ass! Bought a Element Bolt, but haven't used it yet.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

53x12

by 53x12

jrobart wrote:Drops of sweat send my 1000 into lock screen mode. On one hand it suggests that I may indeed be working hard, on the other hand it is a pain in the ass! Bought a Element Bolt, but haven't used it yet.

Once you use it, you'll never miss your Garmin.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mrtkcmz

by mrtkcmz

Shrike wrote:Also struggle with the 1000 (and the 520) with the USB connection to the Mac.

I am using edge 520 with a Mac. what kind of problems you have? I have a perfect connection.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Garmin needs to work on more seemless integration with blue tooth such as the ability to do everything without a wire(like loading new routes).They'd also be wise to bite the bullet and work off the android platform which would pay dividends down the road
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

nickf

by nickf

jrobart wrote:Drops of sweat send my 1000 into lock screen mode. On one hand it suggests that I may indeed be working hard, on the other hand it is a pain in the ass! Bought a Element Bolt, but haven't used it yet.

This. Super annoying on a rainy ride also. Get caught in the rain a lot here in Central Florida. Can't even swipe the screen once water is on it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

nickf wrote:

This. Super annoying on a rainy ride also. Get caught in the rain a lot here in Central Florida. Can't even swipe the screen once water is on it.

rain and sweat will impact any touch screen device. my samsung galaxy 5 has the same issue. only way around it is to design buttons.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels