Garmin releasing a new Edge computer soon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rlanger

by rlanger

rapsac wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Does nobody use the Bluetooth sync on the app? I figured that'd would remove the need to plug in

I started using blue tooth two years ago and haven't gone back. if there's a criticism is that i still need to use a cable when loading a new route to follow.

Routecourse from dynamic watch iQ app.

Yes, this. It's a great app and it's free, but I paid the $10 for a 1-year subscription, because I find the extra features are worth the few bucks, and I wanted to support the developer.

Since I got this app a few months ago, I haven't plugged my Garmin into my PC once.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

mpulsiv wrote:I'm still using Edge 500. Not a single issue in last 4 years. If I ever upgrade it will be Bolt but then again Edge 500 does everything I need. It's small and light. Side-by-side, Bolt looks massive.

Edge 510, 520 and 800 series are all half-baked due to release schedule. What is it now? New unit every 18 months? Garmin software engineers dedicate ~ 9 months of development, punt all bugs reported by users, then move on to development of new unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is the 810 the Gold Standard? Mine works great for years. had a short period where i experienced issues with blue tooth but haven't had those issues in years which i attribute to a firmware update fix. battery life not even close to an issue. of course i'm on dura ace 9000 mechanical and don't have a power meter, cadence sensor or heart rate monitor so perhaps my set-up is not particularly demanding. about all i do is ride, loo at speed, grade and time and twice a month follow a route. the sole issue i had in the past year, was in france doin a race, i followed a route and at the end of the ride as i stopped the ride, the garmin just went bleep and i could not save the ride or see it on the unit, but someone plugged it in to their p.c. and found the fit file. all i lost was the last 1/2 kilometer, the distance from when the route i was following ended and the actual spot from where i attempted to save my ride. ironically the same exact thing happened to another person on the ride, following the exact same route on the exact same day on a different unit.

And rode 115 miles today and still had over 25% battery in reserve.
Last edited by fromtrektocolnago on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

i am likely to ditch my 500 soon due to ANT+ dropouts. 3 different power meters and they all dropout on the trainer. Starting to drive me nuts. Now I'm between the 520 and the bolt.

kervelo

by kervelo

Juanmoretime wrote:I like my 520. It auto loads my training session when I save it via the Carmin Connect app on my phone. I have never loaded maps since I know every route where I live and usually go. If somewhere new I'm usually with a team mate that has the map on their computer of I use Google maps on my phone. Getting lost turns a ride into an adventure!

Sounds like the way I also use my 520. I got it cheap as a temporary computer while waiting for a better one to be released, but it is actually not that bad. The only issue I have noticed is that the 520 does not seem to calculate the elevation gain correctly. The figures I get are significantly lower than with my previous computers, the last one being 510.

Bogan

by Bogan

I have ditched my 810 and gone to a Wahoo Elemnt. Cannot see myself going back to a Garmin.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Bogan wrote:I have ditched my 810 and gone to a Wahoo Elemnt. Cannot see myself going back to a Garmin.

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk

I'm sure I sound like a fanboy for Wahoo, but I did the same thing.

Ditched a Garmin 1000 and went to a Wahoo BOLT. Unless Garmin releases a game-changer device, I cannot imagine going back.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kulivontot wrote:i am likely to ditch my 500 soon due to ANT+ dropouts. 3 different power meters and they all dropout on the trainer. Starting to drive me nuts. Now I'm between the 520 and the bolt.

I used to have occasional dropouts on the 510. I got a 520 and never had a dropout. I don't know about the Bolt but I'm quite happy to upgrade to the 520.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dastott

by dastott

Have owned the 500, 510 and recently got the 520. The 510 was the worst of the three, and has since died. Often would crash and lose rides, and the touch screen was sometimes unresponsive. The only decent part was Bluetooth, which wouldn't always work. The 520 is much better but the 500 is also very nice given the small form factor and weight (this is WW after all).

robertbb

by robertbb

If Garmin's listening, when it comes time to refresh the 520 I wish they would release something in-between... like a 515... as well as a 525.

The 515 would be an evolution of the old 500. Super thin, small form factor (but perhaps slightly bigger screen). Monochrome display, long battery life, power, HR, cadence, gradient, elevation, temperature and GPS/GLONASS tracking (which can be seen on a map on Garmin Connect) but without on-screen maps or courses.

The 525 would be more of an evolution of the 520, adding a colour display, Strava, on-screen maps, cellphone integration for message/call info and all the other useless bells and whistles... ;-) probably be a bigger form factor and have slightly reduced battery life.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I'm a 520 user since it got released (24 mths ago), and for what I use it for and the features I want, it's fine. However, last week, the micro USB connector now needs slight pressure to connect for charging, so I'm undecided whether to get a refurb 520 for A$142 or lash out and finally ditch Garmin and go for the Bolt at A$399 (can't seem to get it any cheaper as O/S companies won't ship to Oz).

How well does the Bolt operate w/o any sensors connected ? (i.e GPS for speed and baro for elevation ?).

and additional A$250 is a fair bit, but people who have switched (Garmin to Wahoo) seem pretty damn happy.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

My 820 is with Garmin support @ the moment. Just out of warranty and suffering the "blue Halo" effect. I'm not sure but likely will [depending on what Garmin offer] ditch it/the replacement on EBay and cut my losses and get a Bolt...... Even if I need to pay full retail.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

MichaelB wrote:I'm a 520 user since it got released (24 mths ago), and for what I use it for and the features I want, it's fine. However, last week, the micro USB connector now needs slight pressure to connect for charging, so I'm undecided whether to get a refurb 520 for A$142 or lash out and finally ditch Garmin and go for the Bolt at A$399 (can't seem to get it any cheaper as O/S companies won't ship to Oz).

How well does the Bolt operate w/o any sensors connected ? (i.e GPS for speed and baro for elevation ?).

and additional A$250 is a fair bit, but people who have switched (Garmin to Wahoo) seem pretty damn happy.

I've been a Garmin user for years - 500, 510, 520, 820. The 500 was the most solid of the devices, the 510 the worst. I like some of the nav features on the 820 but dislike the touchscreen so mostly used the 520. But with both the 520 and 820, there were too many problems. Updates were like a game of Russian roulette; I've had to send my bricked unit back to Garmin more than once. If you sync by connecting to the PC, if you unplug the Garmin and forget to eject -- or if PC loses the connection -- the Garmin is often left in an inconsistent internal state and has to be reset and programmed all over. And too many times I'd be on a ride and it would mess up recording.

I gave the Bolt a try when it came out. I've not had a single issue. Setup is a breeze. It just works and I wouldn't go back. It's missing a few features the Garmin has -- like profiles -- but the overall experience is much more reliable and satisfying. They also update their software quite rapidly to close the feature gap, and I've not had any problems with upgrade.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My Bolt<->phone sync is a little less reliable than with my 520 and I miss having a web portal for a Garmin Connect. Mostly I miss having Cycling Dynamics for my Vectors, but support for that can now be added by Wahoo.

Zooming is nifty, but the Garmin data screen customization is more flexible.

climber8

by climber8

fromtrektocolnago wrote:And rode 115 miles today and still had over 25% battery in reserve.

for a head unit to last only ~5h is a fairly low standard. 25% reserve put that at about 6.25h battery life.

for me, that's sub-par.

around once a year i'm doing a race that is 205 miles (330k), and our lead group usually finishes in 8.5-9h. Every head unit I've owned in the last 8 years (Edge 500, 510, 800, 820; SRM PC7, PC8 -- as well as a bunch of others) has been able to clear that hurdle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

When I ride 115mi, that usually includes 11-12000ft of climbing and it might take me about 7.5 hours of moving time solo with a 1 hour break for lunch in between.