First Power meter suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merser

by merser

I am looking at buying my first power meter. Feels like I have read every review known to man and it hasn't helped me a bit!

I feel like the best move would be to go for a quarq d-zero (aluminium as weight isn't a concern). However, the stages or pioneer etc are considerably cheaper. Obviously, there are other alternatives too.

I'd appreciate people's thoughts / suggestions. The plan is to train with power.

Cheers,
Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Unfortunately, the answer is probably: "it depends".

If you are a serious rider, I would always recommend the SRM. It definitely costs more than the alternatives, but it is dead reliable. I still have my very first SRM and it is still fine (that was 1999). What is the amortized cost of that?! If you care about repeatability and durability, the SRM is still the best.

AZR3

by AZR3

Ive had 4 Power2Max power meters, currently have 3 and only bought one brand new and only sold one because I switched frames and thus BBs, and have had no issues with any of them. They've all been rock solid and took all the weather abuse I put them through. I haven't read a bad review and like I said, have never experienced an issue with any of them, great product.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Try find a used SRM, if it has a flat battery even better. Send it back to them for a battery replacement + re-calibration (+$250) and you've got a rock solid unit that will last for years. Or as others have said Power2Max. My classic unit has been used for 4 years now. It's on my CX bike these days and still going strong.

merser

by merser

Ooooh I'd sort of written off the cost of srm but I can revisit that on eBay.

Checking power2max now....

Thanks guys!

Jamie

Hexsense

by Hexsense

FSA Powerbox Alloy BB386 on some website (like powermeter24) are cheaper than Power2max+crank. It's 4xx usd.
The downside is, the P2M that attach to it has 4 bolts chain ring interface therefore you'll be stuck with FSA chain rings instead of being able to use any 5 bolts chain rings.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Why not consider powertap? There's the C1 chainrings if you have a compatible crank or the P1 pedals which are accurate and easy to setup/use/update. Tested a pair against an SRM and they read very very close.

Saris is in Wisconsin and any question I've had is answered quickly by a live person and anything I've ever had to warranty was done quickly. I consider the price to be competitive as well.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

silvalis

by silvalis

I've been looking at this for a while myself. I'm leaning to either a new DZero carbon crank or P1 pedals (plus chorus crank) because i'm a campy user, but don't have a crank yet.

other options are either too exp or not carbon.
Chasse patate

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm a happy user of Quarq. I do believe you get what you paid for. For me the Quarq offers the best value given its accuracy and decent price. A power meter will last you a long time. The newer Quarqs are using a modular design. This is nice and it makes your power meter 'future' proof.

Seedster

by Seedster

My first powermeter was SRM. A lot of coin compared to the rest, but it has been flawless. I will be getting another for my next build.

I hear great things about P2M as well. I would sooner get a pedal based system such as P1 before going stages.

Aeo

by Aeo

Stages
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

havana

by havana

Geoff wrote:Unfortunately, the answer is probably: "it depends".

If you are a serious rider, I would always recommend the SRM. It definitely costs more than the alternatives, but it is dead reliable. I still have my very first SRM and it is still fine (that was 1999). What is the amortized cost of that?! If you care about repeatability and durability, the SRM is still the best.

I would never buy an SRM. Why?

- P2M = same quality & reliability
- For older SRM's you can't replace the battery yourself (very inconvenient!)
- SRM's are severely overpriced

Personally I own two Quarq DZero's. So far they work perfectly. They are quite affordable. Battery can be replaced even on the go (you don't even need tools).

I have owned a set of P1 pedals. After sending them back to Powertap for the second time, I decided to sell them. They are quite solid, but still there are quite a few problems with these pedals. They are also quite ugly and severely overpriced IMHO.
Last edited by havana on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

Go with which even one best fits your budget. 4iiii and Stages are okay, but tend to go wrong a fair bit (I.E you'll have at least one warranty claim within 12 months). IMO, the best in no particular order, are Rotor, Quarq and SRM. SRM are the gold standard, however you pay more. Rotor PM's are very solid too. Quarq are also excellent.

Rubik

by Rubik

I would never recommend a stages, or the 4i. You have two legs. Measure them both.

I have an SRM V, a powertap, and a powertap C1. C1 is what I've used for the last year and a half. It's been flawless.

Had a p2max before that and sold it within a couple of months. I hate FSA cranks/bb and they had a crazy wide q factor compared to Shimano.

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

4iiii do the dual sided version - I always thought Stages were bringing one to market too?

When is the Shimano PM out?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com