First Power meter suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

For Cannondale CAAD 12, if I wanted another Quarq, will the Quraq DZero 110BCD BB30 version be all I need?

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

I dont trust pedal based PM. So easy to damage, pain in the ass to calibrate and change the battery.

My 4iiii has been flawless, only issue is I want a new crankset now....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

waltthizzney wrote:I dont trust pedal based PM. So easy to damage, pain in the ass to calibrate and change the battery.

I've heard that too. 4iiii are pretty good. You could try and sell it, shimano 4iiii?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Boshk wrote:
What would you recommend for me then...

Easiest possible solution for you is getting 4iiii on your praxis crank. $399 from 4iiii directly, although perhaps you can contact praxis to get a left crankarm pre installed (I'm assuming zayante is compatible with your crank). If your intent is to transfer to a new bike then as long as you move the whole crank or buy a second praxis crank then you'd be in good shape. I specifically bought stages originally because I had 4 bikes with shimano hollowtech cranks and swapping left crank arms was easy.
But as others have pointed out, getting a power2max is probably a better choice if you're going to end up moving the whole crank because it's only marginally more expensive and is a spider-based sensor. If you did go that route i would recommend against getting a true BB30 crank as it limits bb compatibility, especially if the frame you're thinking of getting is BB86. Same issue with chainring based powertap P1, which won't work with modern shimano cranks.
Pedals are an option as well, although I personally think they are overpriced compared to alternatives(799/1199 single/dual?) and require a torque wrench to install (garmin).
I personally don't like the powertap because of the weight penalty and it inherently means that you only collect data during training when you're not using your race wheels. It also ends up costing as much as the crank alternatives when considering the full cost of a wheel.
Because you don't have a coach and you're not a huge data nerd, i don't think you need to worry about the single/dual stuff these guys are obsessing about, stages/4iiii are fine.
So here are some options:
1. Get 4iiii installed on your praxis (399) and transfer to your new bike later
2. Get a 105/ultegra crankset with a compatible stages /4iiii crankarm ($600-800) and swap just the left crankarm with your new bike
3. Get a new power2max, pioneer, or quarq d-zero full crankset ($650-1000) and transfer to your new bike
4. Buy a pedal or hub based system.

Options 2 and 3 come with the benefit of potentially changing your gearing to something more appropriate for road riding.
Last edited by kulivontot on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

wwnick wrote:I have read very good things about 4iiii and is only 650 for double sided, i think you have to be N.Amer. based though and at the moment only DA9000 ( http://4iiii.com/wp-content/uploads/201 ... 1-2016.pdf )
for the record i have p2m and am very happy with it.

4iiii install ended up costing me about $830 after shipping and customs, but I've been pretty happy with it this far.

jlok

by jlok

Guys, beware of the stick on sensor of Stage or 4iiii. They may be incompatible to some bikes with chainstay mounted brake, e.g. Scott Foil Premium.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

moonoi

by moonoi

Boshk wrote:
jlok wrote:@Boshk I've come up with a quick suggestion based on the prime consideration of

transferability (to next N+1 bike)

1. Pedal based PM are of course even better. Many would suggest PowerTap P1 in this regard, single-sided or dual-sided.
Limitation: cleats are limited to Look Keo type.

2. Crank/spider/chainring based PM
the ones using BB86 / GXP has the best transferrability between bikes.
a. Stages PM with Shimano cranks (currently single-sided)
b. Quarq DFour/DZero with GXP cranks (sum of both sides)

Limitation: may require purchase and install appropriate BB to match your frame. May require the purchase of correct chainrings.

I spoke to p2m in Germany, they suggested the 3d24 model which has 24mm axle. Buy an adapter (cheapest) or converter to change my Specialized's Praxis BB30 to a cater for 24mm.
When and if I do get the Canyon or any bike that is Shimano Pressfit, the p2m can just slide straight in.

Emailed Quarq about it but no reply from them. The Dzero or DFour which can take shimano chainrings has options for either GXP 24/22 or BB30......so trying to get my head around this GXP, BB30, OSBB, Canyon BB....

I would go with the recommendation from P2M as the most cost effective and transferable to be honest. I've had bad experience with Quarq customer support so personally I wouldn't recommend them (4 months to replace a faulty spider), but when it works it's great.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

Boshk wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:I dont trust pedal based PM. So easy to damage, pain in the ass to calibrate and change the battery.

I've heard that too. 4iiii are pretty good. You could try and sell it, shimano 4iiii?

Going from a 6800 crankset to a 9000 because I like the bling'd out look on my new matte black frame is not a valid excuse to upgrade :mrgreen:

naylor343

by naylor343

P2M owner for many years, rotor 3d 24. It has been probably the only piece of cycling Hardwear I own that has never needed any attention at all, it just works! (Less battery changes)

I admit to having no experience of any of the others. The only thing I can say in relation to the competition is that you will read many positive and negative reviews on them all, but, you will struggle to find many negative reviews on P2M.

To echo others on here, I would recommend a 24mm axle for ease of compatability and also go 110, 4 or 5 bolt for maximum chainring choice.

Boshk

by Boshk

naylor343 wrote:P2M owner for many years, rotor 3d 24. It has been probably the only piece of cycling Hardwear I own that has never needed any attention at all, it just works! (Less battery changes)

I admit to having no experience of any of the others. The only thing I can say in relation to the competition is that you will read many positive and negative reviews on them all, but, you will struggle to find many negative reviews on P2M.

To echo others on here, I would recommend a 24mm axle for ease of compatability and also go 110, 4 or 5 bolt for maximum chainring choice.

what chainring do you run? p2m's praxis standard rings?

naylor343

by naylor343

I had 52/36 aero q rings when I was racing and a set of 50/34 ocp3 q rings for the mountains. It was the original type, now sold to purchase the new ng P2M. Going to go for the 4s so I can use Shimano rings. The q rings were great, but with di2 I find the Shimano rings better. I have the same two sets of rings in Shimano also.
Last edited by naylor343 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naylor343

by naylor343

The new p2m will also be a 3d24 going onto a TCR adv sl

Y26

by Y26

p3dalfaster wrote:For Cannondale CAAD 12, if I wanted another Quarq, will the Quraq DZero 110BCD BB30 version be all I need?

Was talking to Sram directly as I have concern shifting btw two bikes ( BB30 and BSA) and yes the bb30 version of the DZero is what you need. Will be getting the GXP version for the N+1 concern.

naylor343

by naylor343

If the OP is still searching, P2M have an excellent deal currently on the type S Rotor 3d24. 679€ incl praxis rings in all teeth/bcd configurations, currently all crank lengths available too.

As I said in above post, I was going for the ng 4S so I could run my Shimano rings, but as praxis are almost as good this deal was a no brainer.

The ng Shimano 4 bolt was not available for rotor and was also 990€ for the power meter spider alone, no rings or cranks, so I am very happy.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

p3dalfaster wrote:For Cannondale CAAD 12, if I wanted another Quarq, will the Quraq DZero 110BCD BB30 version be all I need?

For a CAAD12 I would just get a BBInfinite BB30A conversion BB and use Quarq DZero GXP cranks. Kill two birds with one stone by removing any chance of creaking in the future.

Pain in the ass to calibrate? I just have my computer ask me to zero-offset every time it detects my Vector 2 pedals, then I rotate the cranks to 3 o'clock.

Meanwhile 4iiii still doesn't have temperature compensation so technically you need to backpedal to do a zero-offset midride. Backpedal zero-offset isn't nearly as accurate as a truly unweighted one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com