Assos Air Jacket 851 Replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

For you Assos users
I want to replace my aging 851 jacket. Which is closer: the Bonka6 or the Habu5?

c60rider

by c60rider

I own the Bonka6 and also the now unavailable fugu jacket. Underneath them I only ever wear a single long sleeve base layer which is a Helly Hansen Warm. The Bonka keeps me warm in temperatures down to about 4 degrees C but below that I need the Fugu. If I wear the Fugu at 6 degrees or higher I'm melting. The Habu5 is classed as an early winter jacket so not even as warm as the Bonka. So I would say with the same base layer it would be 8 degrees minimum temperature range for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

The Habu jacket is the one which fits the temperature range of the 851.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I have both the 851 and the Habu. The Bonka would be closest to the 851. The Habu is definitely lighter. I love the Habu... my favorite. It's probably the most versatile thing I own for cycling, but it's not for super cold weather. I suppose you'd want the Bonka plus whatever layers make it work for you. Getting the right cold weather gear is about as personal as finding the right saddle. We all heat and sweat differently, and so it's hard to really go on others opinions too much until you experiment for yourself.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

gwilliams

by gwilliams

If you are open to considering another brand, the Termica Jacket by Q36.5 is worth checking out.

maquisard

by maquisard

I have two 851 jackets, still going strong since 2006/2007. On the other hand I have a year old Castelli Gabba jacket falling to bits after a year...

Buy Assos, it lasts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com