What is the current king of aluminum in 2017?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sooni

by sooni

Christono wrote:
sooni wrote:My Emonda ALR - Quality control issues aside, this is an excellent frameset.

out of curiosity, what issues did you have?

First frameset I purchased had a warped bottom bracket and was sent back to Trek. I had to pay the cost for the Dura-Ace BB after it was crushed on installation.

The frameset shown in the photo, there is a slight offset with the rear wheel. The wheel sits 2mm closer to the right chainstay, and does not align with the seat tube in the same way. I confirmed it is not the wheel(s), so it must be an alignment issue. It was so minimal that the online merchant I purchased from basically ignore my complaint. I can live with it but it bothers me to some degree.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

sooni wrote:The frameset shown in the photo, there is a slight offset with the rear wheel. The wheel sits 2mm closer to the right chainstay, and does not align with the seat tube in the same way. I confirmed it is not the wheel(s), so it must be an alignment issue.

Have you checked for paint build-up inside the dropouts? Check how the wheel sits without the skewer installed too.

I wouldn't live with it - you paid money for a 'fit for purpose' product; and a wonky back wheel isn't fit for purpose.

Back on topic, I'd go Bowman Palace or Spooky off the peg; or Gaulzetti, Zanconato or Rock Lobster for custom.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

Yeah I would follow that up with Trek. They are usually good with warranties. Though you mentioned an online retailer, I don't know if it applies to frame sets, but isn't it a no go on sending out complete Trek bikes? That might have an impact of warranty response.

53x12

by 53x12

CrankAddictsRich wrote:Don't forget about Vynl Bikes... they make frames that cable or electronic.

I'm not one for "loud" colors, but that definitely looks great.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

53x12 wrote:
I'm not one for "loud" colors, but that definitely looks great.

The bikes they do for their galleries are all pretty loud, to get attention, obviously.... but they'll do them in any color you want, I think. When they first came out, I was super stoked on them, but I had just picked up my Allez so I wasn't really in the market. If I had waited a month or two to get the Allez and had seen these Vynl bikes, I probably would have jumped there. I also like the Spooky Bikes. Not going to lie though. I LOVE my Allez.... even more so now that I've made it totally custom.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I'm going to start by noting I have an Allez Sprint, and previously rode a Caad 10, Caad 9, and Specialized S-Works E5 Aluminum, but at this point, I'm starting to wonder why bother with aluminum.

Aluminum used to be great because it was relatively light, relatively stiff, and relatively cheap - which made for a great combination for racing. It didn't excel in any of those areas, but it was a great combination of the three. And the thought was that aluminum would be a bit more durable than carbon in crashes and cheaper to replace.

But we've reached the point that carbon is now often lighter, stiffer, and cheaper than aluminum. Allez Sprints are $1200. Those Vynls are $1500 to $2k for a frameset. So, they're not so cheap any more. And carbon repair technology has reached the point that it only costs a few hundred bucks to repair a carbon frame. And many claim the repaired frames are stronger than before. So, the allure of aluminum as a quality race bike is diminishing.

I like the way my aluminum bikes ride - also have a Felt TK2 for the track - but I also like how my Gallium Pro rides.

tranzformer

by tranzformer

^ That is a very valid and great point. Carbon frames have dropped significantly in price and these fancy aluminum frames have gotten closer to the price of middle range carbon frames.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

^^^ I think you guys are making the assumption that all carbon frames are created equal... In my experience, the low-end carbon frames are no where near the high end ones and are not nearly as light as a good high-end aluminum frame.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Yes, we have reached the point where carbon frames are more affordable than ever. $1700 for Giant TCR is heck of deal. That's a complete bike with Shimano 105. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced--2-2018

The frame itself is worth this much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

tranzformer wrote:^ That is a very valid and great point. Carbon frames have dropped significantly in price and these fancy aluminum frames have gotten closer to the price of middle range carbon frames.

From a Moneyball standpoint, a privateer racer could buy almost three Chinese carbon frames for the price of an Allez Sprint and then muster them out at the end of each season or after a frame killing wreck until race results lead to a real deal sponsorship,

themidge

by themidge

Thenuge wrote:
themidge wrote:I've got my eyes on the BMC alr01. Has had some good reviews and has very similar geometry to its carbon brothers

Don't they have a 1cm taller head tube? Maybe I'm wrong. They look sweet in person though.

They do but all the other angles are as good as the same. (btw because of the longer HT the top tube slopes a little more if that matters to anyone)
Mind you 1cm extra height isn't a problem for my somewhat inflexible back :)

re Vinl: the blue (or is it green?) of the frame in the third picture - :thumbup:

tinozee

by tinozee

Yeah when you can get a last years Evo himod NIB with warranty for less than 2k it's a tough one.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bremerradkurier wrote:
tranzformer wrote:^ That is a very valid and great point. Carbon frames have dropped significantly in price and these fancy aluminum frames have gotten closer to the price of middle range carbon frames.

From a Moneyball standpoint, a privateer racer could buy almost three Chinese carbon frames for the price of an Allez Sprint and then muster them out at the end of each season or after a frame killing wreck until race results lead to a real deal sponsorship,

How many privateer racers do you know? I see Cat 5's from time to time. As riders get better and upgrade categories, they join a racing team or form a team. Typically, every race team is sponsored by LBS. This is where they get deals on bikes and frames. To keep this sport alive, the goods are ordered through LBS. I haven't a seen a single racer on Chinese frame (e.g. open mold, knock-off or whatever you want to call it).
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

kgt

by kgt

I agree with some of the above posts.
I cannot see the point of invensting in an expensive alu frame when you can find hi quality carbon frames for the same price.
I used to ride an alu Mapei Colnago Dream and I loved it. Alu frames were cool 15-20 years ago. Not any more...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com