Campagnolo 11 speed cassette lockring help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Hi there, thanks for any help you can give me. I have an 11 speed super record cassette which I recently purchased an extralite extrabolt 3.4 (lockring) for. The lockring is supposed to work with 11t and 12t sprockets (I have 11t). The problem is, the 3.4 doesn't fit... I removed the campagnolo lockring (which is obviously longer) and tried to install the extralite one but the threads wouldn't "bite" because it's not long enough... Am I missing something? The product description seems to indicate that it works with my setup... Thanks for any information you can help me with! Best!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Is it possible you have a 10s cassette spacer behind your 11s cassette?

/a

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The Campy lockring is a light and tough Ti.

Sorry, but I think to use an alloy lockring for a 4g saving is just not a great idea in the first place. When this thing lets go on the road, you have a problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Attermann

by Attermann

alcatraz wrote:Is it possible you have a 10s cassette spacer behind your 11s cassette?

/a

There has never been a spacer behind a 10 speed campagnolo cassette, they are the same whith

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate the input. I'm also wondering about the different dimensions (I have yet to research this) of a Shimano/sram lockring vs. a campagnolo lockring (diameter, depth etc) if maybe the wrong lockring was sent to me. The bag it came in said it was an "Extrabolt 3.4" (not 3.3 or 3.6 which is designated for Shimano/sram) but there is no marking on the ring itself... So maybe the wrong ring was put in the bag... I'll have to see if I can find some dimensions

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Does the cassette go on campy freehubs or shimano ones? Possible you got a 10s shimano freehub? What hub are you using?

bikerjulio wrote:The Campy lockring is a light and tough Ti.

Sorry, but I think to use an alloy lockring for a 4g saving is just not a great idea in the first place. When this thing lets go on the road, you have a problem.

Sram xg/og cassettes comes with alloy lockrings. They are 5g each.

/a

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

alcatraz wrote:Does the cassette go on campy freehubs or shimano ones? Possible you got a 10s shimano freehub? What hub are you using?

He's got a SR cassette so I think it would probably fit better on a Campy freehub.

One.

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

Yes, SR cassette with campy freehub... It's a newer Rolf wheel fwiw. I'm getting a little more confused. I read on one online retailers site that... Well, just look at the picture (1st one)... Which seems to fit with one description on extralite's site (2nd picture), but not another (3rd picture) which says it's compatible with 11s... IDK [emoji30] ImageImageImage

tommasini

by tommasini

OP
You first posted that you had an 11 speed and later posted information about 10 speed details. If you have 11 as first posted then all those cassettes already come with campy's aluminum lock ring,,,,,,,,,,

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I weighed a Campy 11-speed lockring for this thread. It is 7-8g Ti. in the 12-13T size. The 11T will be lighter I'd assume.

10 speed lockrings are steel. What was the point again?

One.

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

bikerjulio wrote:I weighed a Campy 11-speed lockring for this thread. It is 7-8g Ti. in the 12-13T size. The 11T will be lighter I'd assume.

10 speed lockrings are steel. What was the point again?

Yes, thank you for the weight of the campy lockring, you really didn't need to do that for me, I appreciate your effort though. The point is I want to know why the extrabolt doesn't fit as it is advertised to. (Whether it's for weight savings, aesthetics, necessity or just because wasn't really included in the original question).

alcatraz

by alcatraz

So whats the conclusion? Is the freehub too short? Are the threads damaged?

On my shimano standard freehub before putting the lockring I can see that the smallest cog only barely by 1-2mm overlaps the edge of the freehub. How does it look for you? If a 3.4mm lockring wont engage the threads you must have a very big overlap there of like 3.5+mm.

Care to take a picture?

I've never worked with campy cassettes or freehubs but I'm curious to how they look compared to shimano style.

/a

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

There are two generations of Campag lock-ring thread/pitch though it has been a long while since the newer generation was introduced.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Campy lockrings have been dimensionally similar threadwise for almost the last 20 years.

I removed the campagnolo lockring (which is obviously longer)
There's a big red flag. And totally unacceptable IMO.

The photo below shows a 11-speed Campy lockring on a Campy freehub (actual Campagnolo, not "compatible"), just prior to threading on.

I measured the thread engagement as approx 3 full turns to tighten.

If OP performs the same experiment with his Campy lockring it might confirm a suspicion of mine that his freehub is either not to Campy spec. or has thread damage.

Obviously, thread engagement is even more important with an alloy lockring. And if you cannot get it then don't use it. Providing less thread length is a very poor way to lose weight

One.

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

alcatraz wrote:So whats the conclusion? Is the freehub too short? Are the threads damaged?

On my shimano standard freehub before putting the lockring I can see that the smallest cog only barely by 1-2mm overlaps the edge of the freehub. How does it look for you? If a 3.4mm lockring wont engage the threads you must have a very big overlap there of like 3.5+mm.

Care to take a picture?

I've never worked with campy cassettes or freehubs but I'm curious to how they look compared to shimano style.

/a

In short, yes, the freehub is too short, or the lockring is too short. There is a very small overlap between the 11t cog and the freehub body. I've tried to take some pictures which will hopefully help. On crude measurement, the Extralite lockring is (approximately) the 4.2 mm that it claims while the campy one is around 7mm. It's obviously the wrong spec, just wish the description on the Extralite website was more detailed (or I would've measured first) not a huge deal in the end.

As always, thank you all for contributing and helping [emoji106] ImageImageImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com