Power Meter options for Canyon Endurance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cockera

by cockera

I'm currently looking for a power meter solution for my Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0. Ideally i was looking for a single sided crank based meter such as stages or 4iii, but there is insufficient clearance between the crank arm and chainstay, so i need an alternative. I'm not a big fan of pedal based meters, having owned PowerTap P1's before. Can anyone recommend a crank or bottom braket based system that is cost effective and light? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

cockera wrote:I'm currently looking for a power meter solution for my Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0. Ideally i was looking for a single sided crank based meter such as stages or 4iii, but there is insufficient clearance between the crank arm and chainstay, so i need an alternative. I'm not a big fan of pedal based meters, having owned PowerTap P1's before. Can anyone recommend a crank or bottom braket based system that is cost effective and light? Thanks

Who told you that? I own one, with Stages (gen 2), no problem at all. You end up with minimum of 2 à 3 mm of clearance :thumbup:

cockera

by cockera

Thanks Delore, if that's the case then brilliant. According to Stages support, it requires 8-9mm clearance, which is cutting it fine. I'm running Ultegra 6800, what crank do you have? Cheers

Delorre

by Delorre

cockera wrote:Thanks Delore, if that's the case then brilliant. According to Stages support, it requires 8-9mm clearance, which is cutting it fine. I'm running Ultegra 6800, what crank do you have? Cheers

See my signature, DA9000 cranckset. If you want, I can try to post a pic this evening.

cockera

by cockera

Thanks - Nice set up. Don't worry about posting a pic. The Ultegra 6800 crank is almost identical in shape to the DA9000, so hopefully there will be just enough clearance. I've ordered one now, so worse case scenario it doesn't fit and i will have to return it.... PS. i've also got a 2013 Ultimate CF SLX - love that bike too... Thanks for your help...A

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

do the aaa battery test. (or is it aa?). its almost exactly same width as the 4iii

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

4iiii will plonk your power pod anywhere you want it on the crank. Do the AAA battery test, mark up your crank as per site info and you're done. They did that for both Canyons, the latest being the Endurace. It's only 2/3mm nearer the pedal. I spat with Stages-they don't like the UK'S wet weather-PITA.
4iiii have been completely different-no drop outs/issues/problems with all 3, just reliable dependable data. 4iiii support is superb.

bouldersport

by bouldersport

I've just received my 2XL Endurace CF SLX and need a crankset based power meter so I'm resurrecting this topic.

I'm looking for a 177.5 PM and it looks like Pioneer and Quarq are both options. There's a good deal on 177.5 Pioneer DA PMs right now so I'd like to see if anyone is using the Pioneer on this bike or the latest Ultimate. I've only used a PowerTap hub in the past which I like because battery life is great and it always works. I'd like to get true LR power with the new meter but reliability is my highest priority.

TonyM

by TonyM

bouldersport wrote:I've just received my 2XL Endurace CF SLX and need a crankset based power meter so I'm resurrecting this topic.

I'm looking for a 177.5 PM and it looks like Pioneer and Quarq are both options. There's a good deal on 177.5 Pioneer DA PMs right now so I'd like to see if anyone is using the Pioneer on this bike or the latest Ultimate. I've only used a PowerTap hub in the past which I like because battery life is great and it always works. I'd like to get true LR power with the new meter but reliability is my highest priority.
Don’t forget that you need the Pioneer head unit in order to make the updates.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

bouldersport wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm
I've just received my 2XL Endurace CF SLX and need a crankset based power meter so I'm resurrecting this topic.

I'm looking for a 177.5 PM and it looks like Pioneer and Quarq are both options. There's a good deal on 177.5 Pioneer DA PMs right now so I'd like to see if anyone is using the Pioneer on this bike or the latest Ultimate.
Is this a public deal? I’d like to pick up another Pioneer PM.

bouldersport

by bouldersport

GothicCastle wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:51 am
bouldersport wrote:

I'm looking for a 177.5 PM and it looks like Pioneer and Quarq are both options. There's a good deal on 177.5 Pioneer DA PMs right now so I'd like to see if anyone is using the Pioneer on this bike or the latest Ultimate.
Is this a public deal? I’d like to pick up another Pioneer PM.
Pro's Closet has a couple of these currently lisetd on Ebay - refurbished but a good price.

bouldersport

by bouldersport

bouldersport wrote:

I ended up buying Pioneer's SGY-PM90 version with 177.5 mm arms for my Canyon Endurace. The right side has no clearance issues, but the left is very close. On my first ride I had some slight rubbing between the plastic case on the left arm and the chainstay. I added a 1mm spacer between the left crank arm and the SH-BB72 bottom bracket. Looks like it'll be fine like that. I'm using a Garmin head so I haven't installed the magnets. First ride seems to produce readings similar to my PowerTap hub although there's a bit more lag for readings to display when stopping / starting pedaling with the Pioneer.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sdavies020

by sdavies020

cockera wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 am
Thanks - Nice set up. Don't worry about posting a pic. The Ultegra 6800 crank is almost identical in shape to the DA9000, so hopefully there will be just enough clearance. I've ordered one now, so worse case scenario it doesn't fit and i will have to return it.... PS. i've also got a 2013 Ultimate CF SLX - love that bike too... Thanks for your help...A
Hi Cockera - I have the same question (EDR CF SLX DB 8.0 17 S bk/gy and crank size 170mm)

Did you have any luck with a 4IIII PRECISION 2.0 3D SHIMANO ULTEGRA 6800 POWER METER or STAGES CYCLING SHIMANO ULTEGRA 6800 POWER METER CRANK ARM 2ND GEN ??

Thanks