Which Model of Helmet Do You Wear and Why? How Frequently Do You Replace It?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
c50jim
Posts: 980
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:42 am
Location: Calgary

by c50jim

I've had a couple of really bad crashes (1988 and 2010) and Giros worked for me both times. They've also worked on smaller crashes over the years so I stick with the brand. Currently using Aeon which fits me well.

A couple of comments:

- fit is probably as important as brand. I agree with those who suggest using a knowledgeable LBS to assist you.

- if you drop it, particularly if your head is in it, replace it. It may not look damaged but its integrity may have been affected.

- helmet age doesn't matter. It's abuse that counts. I know one of the authors of this study. They tested a lot of helmets of different designs, brands and ages and found that old helmets can still be OK. I think the periodic replacement recommendations are (1) marketing and (2) to account for the fact that we don't always take good care of our helmets and bash them around without thinking about the damage we're doing. What happened to your helmet when it was in your suitcase that the airline threw into the plane?
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... ID=2497744

peted76
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:30 pm

by peted76

Specialized Evade over here, I nearly swapped for a Protone the other day but found that the kask didn't fit my oval shaped swede very well.

by Weenie


spdntrxi
Posts: 1839
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:11 pm

by spdntrxi

Evade... I've had 3 of them since they came out..
First was white
Then I saw SBCU version in black .. had to have it. Developed a huge bubble on the lid.. my friends at mikes talked to spec and let me swap it for whatever the had in stock. Ended up with black purple one which is still NIB
I guess I have had 4.. because I'm currently using the UCI WC striped pearl white version... which I'd gladly off if I could get Peters Sagans current lid color.

hanakuso1
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:44 pm

by hanakuso1

c50jim wrote:I've had a couple of really bad crashes (1988 and 2010) and Giros worked for me both times. They've also worked on smaller crashes over the years so I stick with the brand. Currently using Aeon which fits me well.

A couple of comments:

- fit is probably as important as brand. I agree with those who suggest using a knowledgeable LBS to assist you.

- if you drop it, particularly if your head is in it, replace it. It may not look damaged but its integrity may have been affected.

- helmet age doesn't matter. It's abuse that counts. I know one of the authors of this study. They tested a lot of helmets of different designs, brands and ages and found that old helmets can still be OK. I think the periodic replacement recommendations are (1) marketing and (2) to account for the fact that we don't always take good care of our helmets and bash them around without thinking about the damage we're doing. What happened to your helmet when it was in your suitcase that the airline threw into the plane?
http://biomechanical.asmedigitalcollect ... ID=2497744

Do you or anyone else use a case while it's not in use? I keep mine in a bag, but I want something more protective. I see that Specialized sells a case, but it's $45.

mbdurham17
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:12 pm

by mbdurham17

Currently have a Giro Synthe MIPS and a POC Octal AVIP MIPS. I prefer the POC for cooling and safety factor

Vermu
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:39 am

by Vermu

So far replaced helmets only due crashing. Used to have ionos, moved to synthe and now on protone.
Love the fit, synthe was really good, but kask better. The tiny bits make kask feel a bit more premium.
Leatherstrap, feels good and more importantly - can be undone and it stays out of your way. Besides in eu kask is cheper


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wookski
Posts: 808
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:51 am

by Wookski

Giro synthe MIPS, regardless of the brand or model I highly recommend MIPS as the inner material typically fails within 12 months resulting in a warranty replacement. 2 replacements so far!

Nefarious86
Moderator
Posts: 2467
Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 4:57 am
Contact:

by Nefarious86

hanakuso1 wrote:
atakaoka wrote:Basicaly I use helmet for maximum of 5 years from manufacture usualy ended up changing in 2~3 years.
I just change my whent from a B'twin Sport 900 to a SPZ Propero 3 asia. It was the only one that fit great. Never been a fan of the SPZ, but didn't find any other that fit so well.

I really wish they sold the Specialized Prevail 2 in Asian fit here in the US. I could always buy it overseas, but I fear that if I get into a huge accident or killed where lawyers/courts are involved. Buying a safety item that wasn't sold in the USA would be bad in my case.
Ask if you store is able to special order it. If they have a good rep it should be possible with a wait.
Using Tapatalk

moonoi
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:04 pm
Location: Earth

by moonoi

Just picked up an Ekoi Corsa Light to replace my Kask Protone that I dropped.

Have to say I'm very impressed with the fit, it's just as comfortable as the Protone, but just a third of the cost. Obviously the build quality isn't the same, but given the price difference I'm more than satisfied


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rudi
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:43 pm

by Rudi

This thread did get me thinking about when I bought the helmets that I use most, and I realised they are from 2010/11 (Giro Atmos). I'm now seriously considering a new lid as close inspection makes me think that they might not be in the best shape.

I'm seeing quite a lot of love for the Protone on various threads here. I quite like the look of the Smith Overtake, but some reviews seem to say it can get quite hot. I also haven't ever seen one on the road in the UK but wonder if that is a styling love/hate kind of thing.

I'd like to try the Scott Cadence but I think it would look huge on me.

My Wife is using a Catlike Mixino and likes that, but it is new last year so probably not needing replaced.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

gewichtweenie
Posts: 152
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:12 pm

by gewichtweenie

hanakuso1 wrote:Do you or anyone else use a case while it's not in use? I keep mine in a bag, but I want something more protective. I see that Specialized sells a case, but it's $45.


so a helmet for a helmet...is the case aero?

User avatar
Juanmoretime
Administrator
Posts: 7093
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:08 am
Location: Urbana, Illinois

by Juanmoretime

Rudi wrote:This thread did get me thinking about when I bought the helmets that I use most, and I realised they are from 2010/11 (Giro Atmos). I'm now seriously considering a new lid as close inspection makes me think that they might not be in the best shape.

I'm seeing quite a lot of love for the Protone on various threads here. I quite like the look of the Smith Overtake, but some reviews seem to say it can get quite hot. I also haven't ever seen one on the road in the UK but wonder if that is a styling love/hate kind of thing.

I'd like to try the Scott Cadence but I think it would look huge on me.

My Wife is using a Catlike Mixino and likes that, but it is new last year so probably not needing replaced.


I'm riding the Smith Overtake in the very humid and hot Midwest US. I find it very comfortable and not hot at all. I like it much better the the poorly made Synthe it replaced.
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

Rudi
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:43 pm

by Rudi

Had just about settled on the Kask. Might have to do another round of browsing based on this /\

I'm in Chicago every few months at the moment, including July just passed, so I am familiar with that Midwest heat and humidity. I'm not going to be using it in much worse than that I imagine, and generally in less humid conditions.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

racingcondor
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:22 pm

by racingcondor

Always based on fit. Specialized Prevail then Bontrager Ballista.

The first Ballista I had was destroyed in a crash (along with my collarbone) but did a damn good job of protecting my head. That was replaced for free under Bontragers very generous crash replacement policy so I'm happy.

ryanw
Posts: 392
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:52 pm
Location: London

by ryanw

Currently use a Met Rivale (black and orange) and a Met Mantra (matte black), both a year old.

Both awesome but Mantra is making way for a matte blue Kask Protone.
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6650g
'17 Focus Mares Force 1
'15 Scott Addict Team - 6850g Sold
'17 Cervelo R3D DA - 7580g - Sold
'16 Cannondale CAAD12 DA Disc - 7560g - RIP

by Weenie


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post