Issue with 4iiii left side power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Grasschopper

by Grasschopper

Meuble wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:46 pm
I wonder if the problem is limited the the 105 model....... I also am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue.... ? Perplexed.
Nope. My issue is with a Praxis Work Zayante crankset. All dry use, 4 total rides in less than a month.

ProN3wbie

by ProN3wbie

So mine calibrates just fine. Says it's successful but no power readings at all unless I spin the crank backwards :noidea: .....Then it gives me something like 15w. I do the Zero Offset with my phone and it says that is successuful as well....Still no power readings but it is reading cadence.....This is my 2nd 4iiii...This time I got the rechargable Podiiiium (the one I'm having issues with). I've yet to have any issues with my previous 4iiii PM in the past year and a half.

It worked fine for a couple weeks....Today I had to stop several times before it finally got going again....I need this to be reliable....I don't need this crap happening during a race....

I'm using the PM on an Ultegra 6800 crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mustafah009

by mustafah009

So exactly 1 year after 4iiii sent me a replacement unit for my original problem that I reported in this thread, I have again the same problem. Unit is not calibrating in both Garmin and the iOS app, and power data is all over the place.

Support from 4iiii has been great last year and I'm expecting the same treatment this time around, but I'm just tired of this issue I will be selling the 4iiii unit as soon as it is fixed.

simmyb

by simmyb

mustafah009 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm
So exactly 1 year after 4iiii sent me a replacement unit for my original problem that I reported in this thread, I have again the same problem. Unit is not calibrating in both Garmin and the iOS app, and power data is all over the place.

Support from 4iiii has been great last year and I'm expecting the same treatment this time around, but I'm just tired of this issue I will be selling the 4iiii unit as soon as it is fixed.
Strange for me to hear of great customer service at 4iiii. My precision unit died last year and the whole warrantly replacement was quiet slow & with poor communication.
Now the replacement has kicked it and when I submit a support request, it could be up to 5 days just to get a response. Ergghhhh

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

simmyb wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 pm
mustafah009 wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm

Strange for me to hear of great customer service at 4iiii. My precision unit died last year and the whole warrantly replacement was quiet slow & with poor communication.
Now the replacement has kicked it and when I submit a support request, it could be up to 5 days just to get a response. Ergghhhh
Ive sent them several questions through facebook, email, webpage, and its sometimes it takes weeks to get a response.. i'll get a steady flow of q/a going, then the trail just ends for another unknown amount of time until they respond... I was looking at the 4iis for my new rides, but thinking now I'll just stick with trusty SRM... might be expensive, but any issue Ive ever had with any SRM product has been fixed and returned to me within a week...

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I bought a new 4iiii left side DA9000 PM from Nashbar about 2 months ago. All has been well until my ride tonight.

Power readings are really high. Like 1250 instead of 250 Watts. It will not zero in the app. It says “unknown error”.

I noticed I have software version 1.5. I read in this thread there is a later version software, but I don’t see in the app how to download it.

I contacted 4iiii to see what they say.

Edit: I read the pdf from 4iiii of how to update the firmware. I can’t seem to do it though. My phone has the correct version of the app, but it doesn’t prompt me to update to the new firmware. Why didn’t they just make an “update” button?

I’m not sure the update will fix my problem, but I’m willing to try it before returning the unit.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

JerryLook

by JerryLook

It will be a week tomorrow since I have heard back from 4iiii.
I contacted Nashbar where I bought the power meter. They are willing to take it back and refund my money. If I don’t hear back from 4iiii in the next couple of days that is the route I will take.

It’s sucks because the 4iiii is the lightest PM I have found. I really wanted to stick with it. I guess I can go with a Stages instead and gain 20ish grams. I just want something that lasts for more than 2 months. Hell, a year would be nice.

4iiii says the issue with my PM will be fixed with a firmware update. It is supposed to prompt me to update from 1.5 to 2.1 when I connect via their app. It doesn’t. I have tried on my phone (iPhone X) and my wife’s iPhone 6s. No go.

I have tried deleting the app and reloading. I have tried turning Bluetooth off and on a bunch of times. I have tried the steps listed in this thread by 4iiii where I take the battery out etc. Nothing works.

Seems to me that if the PM went from very solid numbers for almost two months, to very high numbers overnight, that something is wrong with the PM itself.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I gave up on waiting to hear back from 4iiii. I returned the PM for a refund. I’m going to buy a Stages PM instead. Hopefully it lasts longer.

Really crappy customer service from 4iiii. They just stopped responding to my emails.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

TheGoodLife

by TheGoodLife

I have the same issue, and I got my power meter in the summer of 2018, precision dual sided on my DA crank. I was so stoked with the company, and I still think 4iiii is on to a great product with the price so low and what not. The fact that I never had to calibrate my rotor 2 in power meter, that it never once read inaccurate for almost 2 years, and that stages, while always accurate, only dropped a signal here and there (and needed to be calibrated every so often, but that is easy and i can manage that), makes it hard for me to stay with 4iiii. My 4iii always gets the 20 calibration error, (movement detected - but there is no movement. times this happens the most are in wet weather conditions, or after washing my bike, or cold weather) and even when I calibrate it and get the 1010 reading, which is normal, i get inconsistent power readings.

I have tried everything that has been suggested, read every forum, the 4iiii user manual 5 times and still no success.

I will reach out to customer support at 4iiii. I have to say, I have only had positive experiences with their team. So hopefully that is still the case.

I will update this once I get an update.

DJByrne

by DJByrne

Hi all

I have had the same issue with my 4iiii left side only PM (4iiii zero offset error, Garmin error 20). Can't fault the quick responce from 4iiii but they didn't really provide a fix. After some work arounds I managed to get things working and producing good data. I have contacted 4iiii again and shared the infromation I found so hopefully they look in to the issues and fix the calibration issues as I think it will start hitting everyone.

Below is a link to my work around zero cal fix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... sp=sharing

Cheers
David

alex1098

by alex1098

DJByrne wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am
Hi all

I have had the same issue with my 4iiii left side only PM (4iiii zero offset error, Garmin error 20). Can't fault the quick responce from 4iiii but they didn't really provide a fix. After some work arounds I managed to get things working and producing good data. I have contacted 4iiii again and shared the infromation I found so hopefully they look in to the issues and fix the calibration issues as I think it will start hitting everyone.

Below is a link to my work around zero cal fix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... sp=sharing

Cheers
David
for me, this did not work.
my problem is that i can see cadence number, but i cant see power numbers.

alex1098

by alex1098

ProN3wbie wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 pm
So mine calibrates just fine. Says it's successful but no power readings at all unless I spin the crank backwards :noidea: .....Then it gives me something like 15w. I do the Zero Offset with my phone and it says that is successuful as well....Still no power readings but it is reading cadence.....This is my 2nd 4iiii...This time I got the rechargable Podiiiium (the one I'm having issues with). I've yet to have any issues with my previous 4iiii PM in the past year and a half.

It worked fine for a couple weeks....Today I had to stop several times before it finally got going again....I need this to be reliable....I don't need this crap happening during a race....

I'm using the PM on an Ultegra 6800 crank.
i have the same problem with you.
did you fix it? or not?

g32ecs

by g32ecs

FWIW, I still have the 1st gen left crank PM and other than losing an O-ring and the cap, I've never had any issues. I've put it through the wringer in the Canadian cold-weather (4iiii themselves are from Alberta which is even colder).

I see everyone's having the Calibration error 20 here - what I do is this (with my Garmin): I unpair it with my Garmin, shut it off then and re-pair it freshly.

Meuble

by Meuble

Just a quick update here.....

I sent back my 4iiii to the retailer last year after it constantly displayed the error 20.

I should add that I sent it back because support from 4iiii by email was slower than snail mail, very unimpressive. The retailer was originally going to replace the unit for me which would have been great but for some reason after about 3 weeks changed their mind and issued me a refund.

I see a site selling them for as little as €240...... That's sounding alarm bells for me.

I just checked in here to see if 4iiii's were still giving problems because I thought I might order a P.M. before summer comes but I think i'll steer clear of 4iiii.

There's something up there, the product is just not up to scratch and the company seems unable to figure this out.

Anyway best of luck to anyone with problems with their PM's, hope it gets sorted for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I thought this question might fit here rather than starting a new post. I just installed a 4iiii Podiiiium ride-ready left crank (Ultegra 6800) - one with a rechargeable battery. I'm concerned about the screw that secures the rubber cover on the recharging port. The screw doesn't seem to tighten fully – when it starts to tighten, I can feel a click and it loosens again, and can be turned further. I'm just wondering if this occurs for anyone else that owns one of these?