Issue with 4iiii left side power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stvrox

by Stvrox

So what's the consensus with these PM now? I'm just about to send off a DA 9000 crank arm to have a 4iiii precision mounted, should I hold off? I have a FSA Powerbox on my race bike, the 4iiii would be for my Sunday best bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Mines fine, apart from the average battery life since they implemented the chipolo tracking, which I don't think anyone ever wanted.

Jere

by Jere

Cpritch20 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:18 am
Did everyone end up satisfied with their 4iiii PM's?

The 4iiii dual sided Dura Ace cranks are spec'd on my new specialized, and while i was able to set up the S Power App fine for the first week and half, it wouldn't calibrate (don't use a garmin - so I don't get those codes). Tried to reset and reconnect and now the app just spins and spins after I connect. After reading this thread, I'm not sure if it's the S Power app or the PM that's the issue. Definitely a frustrating experience.
Hi
I have eight in use , my fixed gear is the only one that I still have a Quarq for because of low RPMs hill repeats.
One failure in 3 plus years and 50,000 miles.
I do not get long battery life but I do use the cheapest battery's probably my fault.
I did start out with all Quarqs but that's another story.
Oh one more thing I only use Shimano cranks now.
Grumpy Old Man

oldturd

by oldturd

Sammutd88 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:52 pm
Mines fine, apart from the average battery life since they implemented the chipolo tracking, which I don't think anyone ever wanted.
Yah..will have to agree with this. It was the chipolo which ended up destroying the battery life..

Accordvsick

by Accordvsick

I am currently having the same calibration error 20 issue on my 4iiii. I am able to connect to the 4iiii when I download the latest 4iiii software from the android store. I cannot connect to it when I have the older 1.6 software installed. Has anyone successfully rolled back the firmware (this seems like the most likely culprit). I emailed 4iiii and they instructed me to RMA, unfortunately the arm is too old and out of warranty.

Jere

by Jere

Accordvsick

by Accordvsick

Jere wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:41 pm
Hi
This may help
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... obilebasic
Well after trying the doc several times for the past week I was finally able to successfully calibrate my 4iiii. My issue was that I was not able to connect to the PM while using the 4iiii APP. I could however connect to the PM when using the most current version of 4iiii from the google playstore. I decided to try a different phone this morning (ancient samsung S5), installed the 1.6 APP and it connected immediately. I followed the same steps as in the google docs and was able to zero using the 1.6 software as well as my garmin edge immediately after.

The biggest dissappointment in all of this was that 4iiii still doesn't seem to want to acknowledge the problem. A quick google will let them know this is infact a software problem and not user error. I hope they release a real fix to this soon as this is terrible PR for them. If folks have tried and need some help, feel free to message me. I also messaged the original creator of the doc and he was of great help.

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

Accordvsick wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:09 pm
Jere wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:41 pm
Hi
This may help
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... obilebasic
Well after trying the doc several times for the past week I was finally able to successfully calibrate my 4iiii. My issue was that I was not able to connect to the PM while using the 4iiii APP. I could however connect to the PM when using the most current version of 4iiii from the google playstore. I decided to try a different phone this morning (ancient samsung S5), installed the 1.6 APP and it connected immediately. I followed the same steps as in the google docs and was able to zero using the 1.6 software as well as my garmin edge immediately after.

The biggest dissappointment in all of this was that 4iiii still doesn't seem to want to acknowledge the problem. A quick google will let them know this is infact a software problem and not user error. I hope they release a real fix to this soon as this is terrible PR for them. If folks have tried and need some help, feel free to message me. I also messaged the original creator of the doc and he was of great help.
I have the Specialized branded 4iiii PM and was having an issue updating the software via my iphone. The mechanic at the shop had an Android and was kind enough to work with me to download the S Power app, and update it. Since then, no issues. Frustrating how sensitive these updates are by platform.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

K4m1k4z3

by K4m1k4z3

Cpritch20 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:44 pm
I have the Specialized branded 4iiii PM and was having an issue updating the software via my iphone. The mechanic at the shop had an Android and was kind enough to work with me to download the S Power app, and update it. Since then, no issues. Frustrating how sensitive these updates are by platform.
Can you even update FW on those cranks? The PowerCranks app only gives me an option to Perform Zero Offset and Factory Reset. What's your crank's FW version? Says 4.0.0 on mine.
'24 S-Works Tarmac SL8 RTP - soon™
'22 Tarmac SL7 Expert | Ultegra R8100 | Alpinist CL / Custom Rapide CLX 2x60
'19 Diverge E5 Comp
'18 Epic HT Comp Carbon WMN
'18 TCR Adv Pro 1 Disc

Cpritch20

by Cpritch20

K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:17 pm
Cpritch20 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:44 pm
Can you even update FW on those cranks? The PowerCranks app only gives me an option to Perform Zero Offset and Factory Reset. What's your crank's FW version? Says 4.0.0 on mine.
Apparently so. When I first connected the phone it said there was an firware update, but I couldn't complete it via my ios based iphone. I was able to update via Android. Mine is on 4.0.0 as well. I didn't happen to check what it was on before I updated it.
2020 S-Works SL7 - Sagan Collection / Decon Green/Yellow

aralph

by aralph

I have a brand new Podiiium installed on a SRAM Red etap AXS left side crank arm. I can pair it just fine to my Garmin 520 head unit, and calibration is successful. However I am getting no power numbers whatsoever in my head unit. I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing several times with the same result. Any ideas?

aralph

by aralph

I have a brand new Podiiium installed on a SRAM Red etap AXS left side crank arm. I can pair it just fine to my Garmin 520 head unit, and calibration is successful. However I am getting no power numbers whatsoever in my head unit. I have tried un-pairing and re-pairing several times with the same result. Any ideas?

Marreiros

by Marreiros

Brianzz wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:56 am
DJByrne wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:20 am
Hi all

I have had the same issue with my 4iiii left side only PM (4iiii zero offset error, Garmin error 20). Can't fault the quick responce from 4iiii but they didn't really provide a fix. After some work arounds I managed to get things working and producing good data. I have contacted 4iiii again and shared the infromation I found so hopefully they look in to the issues and fix the calibration issues as I think it will start hitting everyone.

Below is a link to my work around zero cal fix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1elL ... sp=sharing

Cheers
David
Thanks for the work around.
This fixed the problem for me !!!!
Davy
Hi,

Anyone saved the link? Not available anymore...
Quitting lasts forever!
Visit ruimarreiros.com

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

Stvrox wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:29 pm
So what's the consensus with these PM now? I'm just about to send off a DA 9000 crank arm to have a 4iiii precision mounted, should I hold off? I have a FSA Powerbox on my race bike, the 4iiii would be for my Sunday best bike
Personally was not impressed with mine. Had a ton of issues with really inconsistent power measurement from a brand new device. Returned it and got a favero instead. Wayyyy better on so many levels.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Anyone run into this with a new PM? Seems to be reading 2x out of the box. Oddly, maybe normal, reporting all power to Right leg power from a left-only PM. Scale factor is 1, it has about 5hrs on it, and both were warmed up and recalibrated.
https://i.imgur.com/SqJ5o2r.jpg

On the positive side, my FTP went up 176w on my recent trail ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com