Hope RX4 Caliper

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

androidavies

by androidavies

I've fitted up a few of these brakes to replace the usual leaking Shimano ones…..
I had high hopes for them based on their excellent MTB brakes.

The Hope calipers fit directly onto the Shimano hoses, using the supplied Hope fittings. I've found them to be pretty awkward to bleed. If you follow their instructions exactly, then you get there in the end, but it's definitely not a case of popping the bleed pot on the lever reservoir and pumping one lot of oil through. Once bled they're super powerful, and don't squeal or rub. I would say feeling almost too powerful for a road bike…

I also had some problems with side to side clearances, the caliper body is wider than a Shimano one, and I've had to do some annoying hub respacing as the callipers wouldn't move sideways enough to centre up over the rotor….

Experimentally, I tried a set of Clarks M2 callipers on Shimano road STI, absolutely great. Easy to fit and bleed, super nice feel, and no leaks. Very good value as well! I think these Clarks brakes are based on an older Shimano design….

Why would you want disc brakes on a road bike anyway…... :) !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

Good stuff, AD. Will likely to stick with XTR.

Well, to be fair, my build is not just a "road" bike. I'm building a custom titanium allroad bike that will do gravel/cx/winter/rain. All purpose. :)

androidavies wrote:I've fitted up a few of these brakes to replace the usual leaking Shimano ones…..
I had high hopes for them based on their excellent MTB brakes.

The Hope calipers fit directly onto the Shimano hoses, using the supplied Hope fittings. I've found them to be pretty awkward to bleed. If you follow their instructions exactly, then you get there in the end, but it's definitely not a case of popping the bleed pot on the lever reservoir and pumping one lot of oil through. Once bled they're super powerful, and don't squeal or rub. I would say feeling almost too powerful for a road bike…

I also had some problems with side to side clearances, the caliper body is wider than a Shimano one, and I've had to do some annoying hub respacing as the callipers wouldn't move sideways enough to centre up over the rotor….

Experimentally, I tried a set of Clarks M2 callipers on Shimano road STI, absolutely great. Easy to fit and bleed, super nice feel, and no leaks. Very good value as well! I think these Clarks brakes are based on an older Shimano design….

Why would you want disc brakes on a road bike anyway…... :) !

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Which XTR caliper works with 785 shifters?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

justaute

by justaute

I think any of the recent XTR models should work -- certainly the M9000 models. I think I'm going with the M9000 trail version, with fins. I know several CX racers have used this combination.

Additional info can be found here in this thread. viewtopic.php?t=145699

wheelsONfire wrote:Which XTR caliper works with 785 shifters?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Seems both 9000 and 9020 are external fit/ banjo.
I really don't need more power and modulation is great with 785 RS.
I have had no leaks either so perhaps i should just wait and see.

My hope were actually on the Hope RX4. Though i wonder if there are any reasons Shimanos older versions had 4 pistons and all the later seems to have two pistons?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Interesting feedback androidavies on the Hope's. At least with the Hope's, you can get spares all at a reasonable price.

As to which calipers work with the levers - ALL Shimano ones, as AFAIK, they have the same piston dia (22mm for the twin piston type).

It then gets down to hose connection type & side, style, colour, budget & weight preference.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I just did a check on Shimano brakes (my gravel uses postmount)
It's a bit wicked, Shimano voids all warranty if we mix mtb calipers with road shifters.

Second thing, i was told there is NO spare parts, such as pistons or piston seals for Shimano calipers.

This alone would suggest if a change of calipers using the 785 shifters, i would think twice changing to XTR calipers
It seems on this, Hope is a safer buy, as Hope do sell spare parts.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

androidavies

by androidavies

I don't think Shimano have ever offered spares to rebuild their callipers, presumably they think they never go wrong……!

If you have nicely working Shimano brakes, then I'd recommend just sticking with them, they work well and are easy enough to bleed. If they start leaking at the piston seals then they normally replace them FOC through a dealer. In the UK anyway.

I haven't come across any leaky XTR callipers yet, so if you're wanting to change to try something different, then those would be worth a try, or the Clarks ones I mentioned in an earlier post….

The RX4 brakes are really nicely made, and look great, but I the hassles I had fitting and bleeding them, mean that I can't really say "go for it"! Much as I'd like to, they're a great company…..

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

AD, there are several things that i think about when it comes to changing calipers.
I have sent you a PM regarding this.
I must admit, i really don't like Shimano doesn't have repair and/ or service kits.
This is bad. Especially when it comes to mixing and possible future compatibilty with road shifters and mtb calipers.
To me it seems Shimano don't like our cross-mixing and also that they might actually try to make this impossible.
If we run portmount frames it's one benefit to be able to use mtb calipers.
But to not even be able to swap o-rings and seals, that is really bad.

Anyway, i have ordered XTR 9000 brakes. Just need to figure if i should use the new hoses to or just change banjos at the BH59 hoses.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

justaute

by justaute

wheelsONfire wrote:AD, there are several things that i think about when it comes to changing calipers.
I have sent you a PM regarding this.
I must admit, i really don't like Shimano doesn't have repair and/ or service kits.
This is bad. Especially when it comes to mixing and possible future compatibilty with road shifters and mtb calipers.
To me it seems Shimano don't like our cross-mixing and also that they might actually try to make this impossible.
If we run portmount frames it's one benefit to be able to use mtb calipers.
But to not even be able to swap o-rings and seals, that is really bad.

Anyway, i have ordered XTR 9000 brakes. Just need to figure if i should use the new hoses to or just change banjos at the BH59 hoses.

Good luck, WOF. I will be facing a similar issue when my new build begins. Let us know how it goes. Thanks.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

wheelsONfire wrote: ...I must admit, i really don't like Shimano doesn't have repair and/ or service kits.
This is bad. ...

I too find it a PITA, but that is life. It's been like that for a loooooong time.

I can also see why they don't encourage it., as they believe that what the develop as a system is the ideal. They put a lot of effort into it, and rightly feel they know what they are doing. Meh.

Will Camapgnolo sell spares for their calipers ? Do any other caliper suppliers sell seal kits apart from Hope & SRAM ?

For those that have dealt with the Hope RX4 - why is the bleeding such a faff ? Design ? Bleed port location ?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Does anyone know if there are any aluminium-backed pads available for RX4 Shimano post mount caliper? I've asked Hope support if X2 pads would work and they replied that "the RX4 uses a specific pad and none of our other pads will work with that brake", which sounds like a half-truth to me.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Klaster1 wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:11 am
Does anyone know if there are any aluminium-backed pads available for RX4 Shimano post mount caliper?
As posted on the 1st page
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:02 am
The RX4 Shimano version uses the Tech 3 E4 pads which are deeper (37 x 29mm) than the Zee pads (39.5 x 24.2), but slightly shorter, so matched there.

Couldn't work out the pad size for the SRAM version.
Dunno if these are available in Alloy backed versions.

So has anyone taken the plunge with these ?

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

I have an RX4 flat mount caliper as I got sick of Shimano calipers leaking (I've had 4 leak)
They are sooooo much nicer, better quality and spares are easily bought.

Broady

by Broady

Oof, that looks clean, might have to get some ordered.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com