Hope RX4 Caliper

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scale29

by scale29

The brake pins on all Hope calipers are stainless not ti. The only ti parts are bolts if you ordered them, as stock they are steel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PaulH

by PaulH

Can these be run with 140 rotors on shimano post mount or do they have to be 160?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

PaulH wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:36 am
Can these be run with 140 rotors on shimano post mount or do they have to be 160?
My rear setup is post mount RX4 Shimano with a 140mm rotor. I think it's only front flat mount that doesn't work with anything other than 160mm.
Last edited by Klaster_1 on Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

PaulH

by PaulH

Thanks

Theologian

by Theologian

I just got the rs785 for my post mount ti frame. Then I find this thread. I'm hoping that Shimano has corrected rs785's leaking problem by now. Has anyone experienced the same problem with a relatively new production of the 785? If Shimano hasn't done anything to fix it, maybe I should be looking into a pair of Hope as well.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Small pistons on my front caliper are extremely sticky and pretty much useless. They don't retract all the way, making the pads cocked like \ / with the leading edge way too close to the rotor. I've tried all the methods to make them unsticky. I'm done with RX4s and going back to SRAM HRD calipers.

Maybe this isn't an issue with the Shimano version, but it's definitely a repeatable problem on the SRAM ones.

Hopefully Magura comes out with road calipers eventually. When the RX4s worked, they had excellent feel/modulation.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

That sucks. Could the sticky piston bit be related to the fluid ? (DOT vs Mineral) ?

You wouldn't have thought so as the Hopes are normally on DOT fluid, and it's niot like it a new caliper - maybe the combination of piston sizes in the body, but they are pistons anfd seals that have been used ion other Hope calipers, so shouldn't be that ?

I gotta admit, my Zee's are still working 4 years later without issue. Pads wear evenly and have only bled them once.

Any feebcak on the Shiomano versions of the RX4's

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Titaniumplanet pins do fit and are lighter than the stock ones.
Attachments
Titaniumplanet Hope pad pins
Titaniumplanet Hope pad pins

PaulH

by PaulH

I’m having problems with disc rub after fitting any tips for getting the pads to retract a bit more , done the business card trick etc

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

PaulH wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:59 pm
I’m having problems with disc rub after fitting any tips for getting the pads to retract a bit more , done the business card trick etc

SRAM or Shimano version?

If it's the SRAM version, do the smaller "lead" pistons retract fully?

Asking for a friend.

Also make sure you never, ever try to push the pistons back with a pad spreader or flathead without the blocks or pads installed. The pistons are made of...plastic and will break very easily.

ms6073

by ms6073

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:40 am
I think it's only front flat mount that doesn't work with anything other than 160mm.
Typically 160 mm rotor is standard for post mount. For Shimano flat mount calipers, the front are sold with an adapter attached than can be reversed to allow use of either 140 mm or 160 mm rotors, but the rear caliper is standardized for 140 mm rotors and requires an adapter to work with 160 mm rotors.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ms6073 wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:31 am
Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:40 am
I think it's only front flat mount that doesn't work with anything other than 160mm.
Typically 160 mm rotor is standard for post mount. For Shimano flat mount calipers, the front are sold with an adapter attached than can be reversed to allow use of either 140 mm or 160 mm rotors, but the rear caliper is standardized for 140 mm rotors and requires an adapter to work with 160 mm rotors.

Not relevant to the discussion.

The Hope RX4 flat-mount calipers can't be adapted down to 140mm and all you have to do is look at a photo to see why. The adapters that would be present on Shimano or SRAM calipers are "integrated" into the RX4 body.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 am
The Hope RX4 flat-mount calipers can't be adapted down to 140mm and all you have to do is look at a photo to see why.
What about using rear flat mount caliper in front with an adapter bracket (bought separately, SRAM sells those), anyone tried that? Or front/rear FM calipers have a design feature that makes such a combination unusable?

PaulH

by PaulH

I have the shimano version post mount (140 front)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

How do the sram ones perform with the Etap levers?
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com